Author Topic: Off Topic But I Think.......  (Read 1351 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Off Topic But I Think.......
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Gator is a spyware program like Advert.dll which records and sends user info over the net. GetRight is one program that installs spyware and won't work if you delete it. So you edit the registry so that program never runs. Everyone on the planet should do a search on C: drive for Advert.dll and delete it if found. It's a very nasty little program that can do all kinds of harm.

Gator sounds like it does the same thing. Hell for all we know it's sending recordings of conversations to some Jerkoff in Virgina!  

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Never heard of it, but it sounds like software that snoops through your system, sees what you do, what you use, how you use it, and sends that info back to the company. Supposedly to gather info on consumer usage and to track demographics and such. The potential for maliscious action is certainly built-in if this is true.

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
I had some problems related to RW a couple of months ago, so in an attempt to solve them I re-downloaded RW.Sure enough, Gator + one more application suddenly popped up on my HD.

Mailed them to show my dissapointment (thought the guys were "our kind").

danish

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
Gator:   http://www.gator.com/

The newest RW release has this bullsh&t program built into it:
 http://www.rogerwilco.com/products/downloads/rwdload.html

RW  "Mark Ic mod1 (with Gator Offer Companion)"

You actually get TWO programs that are force installed on your PC (whether you want them or not) and well,, tis not a good thing imo. I forget the name of the 2nd program. I had to remove it too.

Is another voice utility for AH an option ? OR is RW now too far built in?   My thought is, what will RW include in future releases that are unnecesary and unwanted? Why are we not told by "Hear Me" in clear and plain terms what they are seeding our computers with?

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 02-02-2001).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »
The second program is "Offer Companion" if I remember right.

On the up side, removing Gator and Offer Companion from Add/Remove Programs solved the problem for me, and RW still works fine.  It's not as nasty as some of the programs out there, but still not good.

Bottom line is that we should be given the *option* during the install process to install this extra crap or not.  Make it the default if you like, but give me the option not to install it.  Putting it on my machine behind my back is bad juju.

I hate to say it but.... didn't MS put out a new voice app with DX8?  Gamevoice or something?  I wonder if it will work well, and if it can be easily integrated into games.  I think that was the idea, but I don't know if it actually made it into the DX 8 release or not.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Well for those guys that never flew in BrandX flight sim AKA War Birds. RW was started by a coupke of good ol boys that flew over there in the DOD squad(Dweebs of Death) The guys with the funny hats with props on the top of em(They REALLY wear these thing I'm serious!)
The founder of the squad and one of the main programmers of RW was a guy by the handle of Tone. All I can hope is since they got bought out that he or the other guys from that squad(they flew in AH in Beta)didnt have anything to do with it. If they did then shame shame shame...... I'm not going to be useing RW anymore and I would suggest that HTC take a long look at whether they wanna keep this company in thier downloads or not IF they are gonna pull crap like this.

LLB OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
Scary stuff...

RW is free, but I'd rather pay for it then deal with this....

sky_bax

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »
Can`t say much.

But will say they had nothing to do with it.

There was 2 companies from them till now.

Careful now, don`t be doging on a squadie  

------------------
Skybax
328th Fighter Squadron
 www.352ndFighterGroup.com
Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »
FYI
Tone & CO sold out before the gator stuff started.

------------------
OhNooo
smile awhile
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
This is very interesting. I did a search and found that gator (fsg.exe was not on my system. I did a search for Advert.dll and found it listed twice. I tried to delete it and could only delete one of the files. The other one which is in the windows sys file WILL NOT DELETE. I get an error message telling me it can't be deleted and that the disk may be full etc.

How do I get rid of this bugger???? It does NOT show up on the add / delete files list. I had to do a file search to find it.

MAv
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

PapaEcho

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
AND GOD SAID LET THEIR BE LIGHT!!!!!!

Thanks guys i downloaded RW a while back and wondered where the hell this "gator" program came from its in my start bar but i don't know what it does i think as i read this BB i will delete it straight away (thats if i can)

------------------
PapaEcho
--------
"Pull the pin and count to what??"

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
If it says it's a Windoze system file it's a lie. That file is NOT required to operate Windoze or any part of it. Odds are you installed TWO programs that use it. GetRight is one I know uses it, and it won't let you kill it either. I killed the copy I had by going into DOS mode and murdering it there. If I were you I'd track down any program you installed on the date Advert.dll says it was created. It's listed in the properties for the file.

Once you do that you can figure out which program installed advert.dll and kill the offending program. If that doesn't work, manually go into DOS mode and kill it from there. If Windoze gets pissy, then you've got a problem. Another thing to try is accessing the registry and looking for any sign of Advert.dll being used. If you find an entry that lists it, kill that entry. That should let you remove the file.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
Battlecom is a much better alternative. It has far better sound quality, and seems to use less bandwidth. Also, you can open up multiple channels and switch back and forth between them. Makes it nice for scenarios when you need to stay in touch with a couple different flights. You can download it for free at http://www.shadowfactor.com

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 02-02-2001).]

TheWobble

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
Also beware of a little addon called "netsetter" its just like gator, but it doesent pop up on your taskbad, but every time you restart it changes your start page to the netsetter homepage.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
Im suprised there is no comment from HTC on this.