Author Topic: We're losing our sim to...  (Read 921 times)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
We're losing our sim to...
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2002, 12:12:00 AM »

…the obnoxious, the arrogant, the elitists, the fool hardy, the vile, the hateful tempered, the irreverent, and the disrespectful.

.... and that is exactly why I squelch the squad channel!

Hooligan

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2002, 02:20:12 AM »
I have a question for the "CH1 squelchers"--If you squelch CH 1 always, then why are you paying for AH?  I'm not trying to seem rude, I just want your point of view.

IMO the PEOPLE, the radio buffer--those 3 lines of text--is what makes AH special.  AH the flightsim cannot compare to the likes of IL2.  However, AH the game provides something no stand-alone product can--interaction between large numbers of real people.  THAT is what your money is providing that a free (1 time purshase) can't.

I don't mind the "rude" behavior.  In fact, I think the calls to "be civilized" are well-meaning but misguided.  Why should someone flying a wargame with bombs and guns and chute shooters say "Gee thanks you good old chap, I so enjoy being shot down by Bish blokes like yourself".   Stupid, isn't it?  Trash-talking is part of AH as much as airplanes are.  

In fact, next month I may try to entice such behavior somewhat by bringing back an old feature of AW....I will (if I remember) advertise the handle of every kill on CH1.  That was great for stoking the hate!  A lot of people despise seeing their name in the buffer "Pilot XXX shot down".  

I get no greater satisfaction than seeing the whines of someone I shot down, the "you're a cheating hacker ganging sumbiatch" and so on.  Those comments directed at me are IMO representative of a job well done.  Likewise, when I vent online, I do it on the squad channel just so the enemy doesn't get the satisfaction of seeing it (fuggin ganger bishrooks).

As for the suggestion that the "trashtalking" drives away customers.....that's BS.  Games like CS and Everquest and UT thrive in an environment which makes AH's flames look like a kiddie pool.  AH is INCREDIBLY tame compared to most popular games.  Actually it's so sterile at times it's almost boring.  There ARE elements of the AH community that may drive some players away, but it isn't the trash-talkers (cough: its the "no tolerance realism elite" crowd :cough).  

J_A_B

Offline wsnpr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2002, 02:21:40 AM »
LOL, Your post title scared the heck out of me. Thought I was going to read some horror story of Electronic Arts buying AH from Hitech Creations! The former AW crowd knows about what EA does to Flight Sims.
Speaking of the subject at hand, one just needs to pity those that take AH (or any game too seriously). You know the type:
Success at AH = success at life.
Whether I get shot down or shoot someone else down, still a great game and having a lot of fun :)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2002, 02:31:56 AM »
Originally posted by Tjay
Hangtime.
Could you please tell me how to do split quotes like that? Where you quote a bit of post, comment, then quote another bit, etc.?
Thanks in advance.
Tjay, it is a very simple process - just make sure anything you want to quote has QUOTE (in square brackets) before it /QUOTE (also in square brackets) after it.  You can then type your comments between each quoted section.  Does that make sense?  :confused: One thing about these forums is if something doesn't work out right, you can go back and edit it, and play around until it does!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline allUSA

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.ghostrider305.com
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2002, 04:06:18 AM »
I miss most of the talk on the text buffer because I am always too busy flying. I don't spend $15 a month for something I can get in a chat room for free. Just seems like a waste of time and money to pay to fly, then spend most of your time typing.

People in my squad, I'll talk to. In a mission, I'll ask a few questions.

But don't pass up the best advice, entered by Hajo:

Do the talking with your joystick, not your mouth. And last but not least, Have Fun!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2002, 04:09:54 AM by allUSA »

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2002, 05:46:34 AM »
I have a question for the "CH1 squelchers"--If you squelch CH 1 always, then why are you paying for AH? I'm not trying to seem rude, I just want your point of view.[/b]

I think you have answered your own question. Some people simply don't care to listen to or interact with rude obnoxious people. There are plenty of folks who still believe in common decency to interact with...thats why I pay for AH.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2002, 05:46:56 AM »
JAB,

You are getting ripped off bud, theres free chat rooms all over the internet!!!

Well me personally are here because i know that the enemy AC´s have an real person piloting it and not an AI....

The WE wlfgng, are the guys who have been hanging around here since first beta.

Well that is djust an Elitist quote right there. I´m 100% sure there are new guys to AH wich dont think ch 1 is nice just like the "vetrinarians".

Well im for everything thats brings more people into the CT so i have to say : No permanent squelch list!! :D
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2002, 08:23:06 AM »
I think J_A_B has a pretty good point.

Last night I squelched 1 because I got sick of
AKNimitz's ranting about stick stirrers.  But then
after I shot a couple of chutes, I really missed
out on watching for their reaction in the text
buffer.

So I plan not to squelch 1 anymore.  Pissing
people off by shooting them down, getting pissed
sometimes when I get shot down, and striving to
bring these emotions under control is a great deal
of what I enjoy about AH.

Outflying someone, then seeing them squeal on ch 1
is much more rewarding than merely getting a kill
message.

anRky

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2002, 08:40:15 AM »
This reminds me of that time that I was called a "niggah" for shooting down the wrong guy back in beta. At least he did it on private channel though! :)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2002, 08:52:06 AM »
...it's obvious that that leads to a decline in social standards...

Wow, classy comment... not.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2002, 08:52:24 AM »
"I think you have answered your own question. Some people simply don't care to listen to or interact with rude obnoxious people. There are plenty of folks who still believe in common decency to interact with...thats why I pay for AH."

Bingo!  That's a bullseye Aztec.

IMO part of the problem is some people can't differentiate normal adult social interaction from the sh&t that many people are fed up with have been talking about.  These people twist it around to make it sound that if you want the vulgarity and other lame "spewage" gone that you must not want any social interaction at all.   Far from it.  

Westy

p.s.  Strider, the community "over there" did not dictate what the online behavior was.  The online behavior expected was set by the TOS and gameops. With no TOS or GOPS AWC was worse than AH has ever been. And it would have been worse in AW3 without the heavily enforced TOS and many GOPS to see that it was.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2002, 09:01:14 AM by K West »

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2002, 09:07:38 AM »
Maniac, it is indeed an elitist statement....when tossed up by itself totally devoid of context.

J_A_B, to reply to your question:
While you enjoy the Ch1 trash talking and consider it a part of the value you receive for your 15 bucks, some people just do not.

If you and I buy a hamburger and arrive at the junk )easier to spell than condiments) counter at the same time and you load yours up with everything there and I just toss on some salt and pepper is my hamburger experience less than yours?

I usually squelch 1 on entry to the arena and then squelch 6.

You need or want the social interaction, I do not.

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2002, 09:28:15 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
I have a question for the "CH1 squelchers"--If you squelch CH 1 always, then why are you paying for AH?  I'm not trying to seem rude, I just want your point of view.

*snip*

As for the suggestion that the "trashtalking" drives away customers.....that's BS.  Games like CS and Everquest and UT thrive in an environment which makes AH's flames look like a kiddie pool.  AH is INCREDIBLY tame compared to most popular games.  Actually it's so sterile at times it's almost boring.  There ARE elements of the AH community that may drive some players away, but it isn't the trash-talkers (cough: its the "no tolerance realism elite" crowd :cough).  

J_A_B

I'm not paying to hear that garbage. At base its cowardly. I just don't understand where its suddenly acceptible to conduct oneself a certain way online whereas to do so offline, person to person, would likely result in that person eating their next meal from a straw. Point being that in some online environments certain folks seem to think its ok to apply standards different than what they would use in a face to face encounter. That's just cowardly and wrong imo. This game isn't that intense that such behavior is even remotely warranted. There's a whole lot of day to day activities that make AH pale in comparisson and we manage to do them with a level of respect and decency. There's no reason that shouldn't be the case here.

Insofar as other games being far worse, that isn't at all the case from my experience. At one point UO was, long ago. For the most part it isn't anymore. Try that talk in EQ or DAoC and if the person your talking to is on the ball they'll have the text logged, and auto-forwarded to the GM's. Your account will be banned at minimum for 24 hours. Spew enough and you'll likely lose the account entirely (something I'm completely in favour of). AH is far worse than any of the larger titles at present, so much so that its almost incomparible. I see more garbage online in AH in 30 minutes than I would in a week playing EQ or DAoC, as examples.

And most importantly, there isn't anything anywhere that mentioned this game being R-Rated. I have enough respect for fellow players, and their kids that may be playing/watching, to keep my comments civil. Others clearly do not. That's a shame. Not a surprise mind you, but a shame.

Vortex
« Last Edit: January 29, 2002, 09:37:17 AM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
I don't find it offensive, but...
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2002, 09:36:07 AM »
Originally posted by Sunchaser

I usually squelch 1 on entry to the arena and then squelch 6.
You need or want the social interaction, I do not.

I don't think it's social interaction--for me, it is survival--w/ country and squad channels, adding ch 1 & 6 insures I'll miss something (like being reminded to open bomb doors on jabo) and if I keep the text bar open all the way, it's distracting and I run into stuff. Or be reading and laughing when all of the sudden (ping) I'm standing in the tower.... ;)

This game sure is hard.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2002, 10:53:15 AM »
Soon the whole MA moves to the CT, sure that will solve the problem, ;)