Author Topic: We're losing our sim to...  (Read 923 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
We're losing our sim to...
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2002, 11:15:52 AM »
doesn't the CT have enough high strung, thin skinned people who think they are better than everyone else allready?
lazs

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2002, 11:34:49 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
doesn't the CT have enough high strung, thin skinned people who think they are better than everyone else allready?
lazs

Uh, yeah.  Nice troll/hijack combo.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2002, 11:37:57 AM »
>>>>If you're squelching the radio you're essentially taking away the part of AH that you're paying for--access to hunderds of other players. If you continually squelch the radio, you might want to re-consider what you're here for and perhaps look at other options.

The text buffer IS Aces High; the flightsim is just the "meeting place".

Gotta take the good with the bad  <<<<<<

Not with my money. I also don't need to re-think my estimation of the behavior of others, that too is part of human nature. And for me this flightsim is not a meeting place, it is a place I come to compete, not have beers or coffee and shoot the breeze. I have plenty of other outlets for that. No reconsideration is required for me, I know what I'm doing here and what I want/intend to get out of the game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2002, 11:42:23 AM by Don »

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2002, 11:40:36 AM »
Lazs....

Am I high strung and thin skinned because I would like my son or daughters to be able to watch me fly without them reading profanity or other trash on Channel 1?

Or, do you feel as others do, that I should accept the standard of those who have no respect for myself or my kids and should just be quiet and let my kids see whatever they choose to feed us over channel 1?

Personally, I have learned over the years, to ignore ch 1. There is nothing I care to read or say other than the comms on my countries channel or my squads channel. Having said that, I do not allow my children to watch over my shoulder for the very reasons brought up in the original post and that is unfortunate.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2002, 11:48:17 AM »
Originally posted by Vortex

I just don't understand where its suddenly acceptible to conduct oneself a certain way online whereas to do so offline, person to person, would likely result in that person eating their next meal from a straw. Point being that in some online environments certain folks seem to think its ok to apply standards different than what they would use in a face to face encounter. That's just cowardly and wrong imo. This game isn't that intense that such behavior is even remotely warranted. There's a whole lot of day to day activities that make AH pale in comparisson and we manage to do them with a level of respect and decency. There's no reason that shouldn't be the case here.

Vortex

Agree. Totally.

Well said.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Manxer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.4wing.obviousonline.com
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2002, 11:52:22 AM »
Why do games insist on having transmissions possible between countries anyhow? With the numbers of people online now, you shouldn't have any problems finding someone to chat with on the country ch. Ch1 is and always will be a smack talk channel. Get rid of it altogether and most of our problems laid out in this tread would be solved.

Just my opinion by the way.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2002, 12:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
lazs

Certainly not!  There's always a need for more greyhounds, isn't there?

More on topic:  What I don't understand is why anyone would WANT to type this sort of language into the buffer?  Does it make him feel more manly?  Or proud to show the rest of us that he knows such words?  

- oldman

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2002, 12:08:11 PM »
rude.. have you considered a handle change man?   I mean, rudeness has passed you by.   Look... I don't swear at people online and I figure that i can usually hold my own with those dumb enough to have to resort to that.    Believe it or not... I don't type anything here or in the MA that I wouldn't say to someone in person under the same set of circumstances.    I guess in the end... it really isn't our call.   our kids and minors aren't paying for the sim... we are not paying for them to look over our shoulder...   I would prefer not top see any profanity in the game if  I were running the show.... simply because it lacks wit if nothing else and those who use it in the MA are not usually worthy verbal sparing partners in any case....  no challenge but..... I am not in charge.    I will defer to HTC's judgment.

thrawn...  I was responding to a thread hijacker....   not the same thing as actually hijacking the thread.   I'm sure that even you can see the difference now that has been explained to you?
lazs

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2002, 12:34:04 PM »
Vortex
------------------------------------------------
I'm not paying to hear that garbage. At base its cowardly. I just don't understand where its suddenly acceptible to conduct oneself a certain way online whereas to do so offline, person to person, would likely result in that person eating their next meal from a straw. Point being that in some online environments certain folks seem to think its ok to apply standards different than what they would use in a face to face encounter.
------------------------------------------------

Acceptable or not, that's the way it is.  And the
only people who are capable of doing anything
about it in AH is HTC themselves.

The important thing, online, or in real life, is
not to let people who spout garbage push your
buttons.  Instead, the thing to do is to realize
that *you've* pushed *thier* buttons--and not
through what you've said, but by just playing
the game.

Spouting off on ch 1 shows a lack of self control,
but then again, so does letting what someone
*says* in anger affect you in such a negative way.

Laugh it off.  Maybe write HTC, and let them know
you don't approve.  But don't let *them* affect
*your* fun.  Or even better--keep shooting them
down, pushing their buttons, and have fun at their
expense.

anRky

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2002, 12:50:30 PM »
yep anarky... it is very satisfying to push these buffoons over the edge and give the whole arena a laugh.    gunman 26 comes to mind.
lazs

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2002, 12:58:43 PM »
"Point being that in some online environments certain folks seem to think its ok to apply standards different than what they would use in a face to face encounter."

Sure, there's a lot of unacceptable crap in the MA, the cussing "I'm going to hunt you down and kill you and rape your wife and burn your house down you *&^*^!!" personal attacks are totally inappropriate.  However, trash-talking (you just ganged me dickhead) is perfectly normal.

When I play BB or pool or playstation or anything with my friends, we most definately DO call each other names as we win or lose.  Sometimes we even get a bit mad at each other.  When I beat someone at a game, I most definately will get a "f__k you cheater you suck" in response.  That's part of the nature of competition.  The trash-talking in AH is no different than that.  Unlike some people here, I don't take these comments the wrong way; I don't take them personally.  If you're an overly sensitive "care bear" of a person, then you shouldn't be playing competative games.

It's not wrong or unacceptable or out of place.  It's people blowing off steam.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

J_A_B

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2002, 01:14:08 PM »
"When I beat someone at a game, I most definately will get a "f__k you cheater you suck" in response. That's part of the nature of competition."

Thanks for clearing that up.  I thought it was the nature of crude adolescents.  Then again, maybe online gaming IS the realm of crude adolescents now.  Didn't used to be.

That said, I am not offended by such remarks, just kind of amazed that anyone would go to the trouble to TYPE it.  For the truly verbose -- crude or otherwise -- squelch works just fine.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2002, 01:14:39 PM »
hehe.. my "who is WE" post was made somewhat in jest.

IMO there IS a lot more inane banter on ch1.. and I"ve been in the sim quite a long time..

however.. I don't think of the sim (or any sim) as 'OURS'.

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2002, 01:14:44 PM »
Apache!!!

I agree totally with what you are saying. Sometimes I get frustrated and irritated with some things, but I can't fly with channel 1 on now because most of it is just garbage. As for losing this sim to others....No, I don't think so. I know there are still guys like you, Hangtime, Lephturn, Dinger, Swagger, Yeager, Citabria (Sometimes he let's you fly a few defensive moves before he shoots you down so you don't feel completely helpless), etc.

Of course, many of the people I remember from Open Beta and the people who typically fly with respect for others (Just a 'feeling' on my part, not saying I can explain it) are flying the CT now. I have always preferred the CT from a historical stand point, so I must say I prefer it to the MA out of personal preference anyway. However, I also have trouble flying with 400 people in the MA now, due to my connection, but I am glad to see HTC reaching that kind of success.

But I know many of the people I respect are still here and as much as there are many new comers who sort of take the fun out of the MA, I would also like to say, so it doesn't get lost in the din, that there are also many new people in AH from AW and FA who are here to have a good time like us without spoiling it. But it seems to get lost that many of these people are good to fly with and against when it doesn't take many 'mouths' to ruin it for everyone.

I'll probably see you in the CT or the ToD's (ToD's Rock!!!) :)

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2002, 01:22:26 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see more people key mapping ch.1 to Alt-F4 :eek: