Author Topic: P47 vrs SpitIX  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2002, 10:55:08 AM »
Originally posted by aknimitz
hehe I understood very little of your post with all that fancy language :)  My fancy language is quite limited, I'd be happy to resopnd but you'd have to break it down for me.

what i mean buy stick deflection is simply pulling the stick in the given direction. Or if centered, thats zero defelction.

that what you was talking about?

example would be proforming a flat turn. Are you going to hold the stick back the whole time, at the same ammount of elevator angle or "pull release, pull release, pull release"?

Also Lephturn if you wouldnt mind could you explain the logic of when you would and would not use the different movements?

thanks again, always a pleasure.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2002, 11:23:16 AM »
Originally posted by Am0n
Also Lephturn if you wouldnt mind could you explain the logic of when you would and would not use the different movements?

thanks again, always a pleasure.

Ok, you lost me.  Would and would not use what movements... stick movements?  I don't specifically pay much attention to the stick movements I use really, I'm just thinking about what I want the plane to do.  The only thing I try to consciously do in terms of moving the stick is I try to be smooth and deliberate, by that I mean I try not to jerk the stick too fast or "over control".  I used to drive race cars, and as it was in that situation, being smooth is very important.

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2002, 11:53:25 AM »
Amon,

I've gone through about 30 films and want to go through another 40 or so, and will send them to aknimitz to post.  Bare with me :)

Drex

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2002, 04:08:14 PM »
drex thanks bro, really appreitciate it :cool:
film helps me more than anything for learning.

----

Lephturn just asking about the movements i previously mentioned (L stick movement vrs diangle movements). But as you mentioned i should really just pay attention to the fluidness of the movement and not how i got the stick from point A to B.

My concern is really which one if either bleeds energy more quickly. I would think the diangle movement would bleed more energy so it would be best to use that type of stick movement when manuevering for a over-shoot.

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2002, 05:20:05 PM »
Great thread gents. :)

Thanks for starting it Amon, and to the rest for answering .  :D

I've been playing with the Jug for a bit and am looking forward to seeing those films too !! :cool:

Offline majic

• Silver Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2002, 10:54:44 PM »
thank you for the definition...perfectly clear.

Offline clouds

• Copper Member
WOW........
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2002, 12:56:46 PM »
Wow guys, you demonstrated that fly is a SCIENCE not only instinct.

I'm thinking about the hours did you spend to achieve this experience ;)

You'r GREAT!!!

YahooOOOOOoooooOOo...........

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2002, 07:51:48 AM »
Ok, flew last night and found a 1 on 1 with a spitV that was above me.  I know its not a spitIX, but I need 2 days off to catagories my films.  After the fight you can turn it off as I got beat up pretty bad and rtb'd then went afk with the film rolling.  I sent it to nimitz to post.  I'll send some better ones that show some other approaches against spits.

to Yams who flew it smart and made a very enjoyable fight.

Drex

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2002, 09:19:04 AM »
Ok fellas, here ya go.  Below is the link to the first film sent to me by Drex.  It is his P47D-25 against a Spit V, a much more challenging fight in my opinion that a P47D-25 against a Spit IX.  Excellent flying to Drex and Yams.

Enjoy!

Nim

P47D25 versus Spit V

Sorry Drex, I knew that, dont know what I was thinking.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2002, 12:54:48 PM by aknimitz »

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2002, 10:08:05 AM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
Nice description Nimitz.

If I remember right, this is very similar to the move Drex uses quite a bit.  It's quite effective against spits as well due to their great E retention, they don't tend to slow down much in the turn and they'll overshoot much of the time.

Thats a move that works well against ANY plane that is faster than you.  Its a reversal which many of us live by.

Offline poppysead

• Zinc Member
I hate p47's
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2002, 10:48:27 AM »
I see so many pilots flying the thunderbolts and I see em getting kills, the best rule for me to remember is if there is a p47 over head he's probably not a rooky(this can be said for almost anyone flying over 15k) But I have had no succes with the thing, mabey its me but the mustang...now theres a fighter, faster under 15k better energy retention, more fuel, more manuverable. The only plusses I can think of for driving a thunderbolt is the two extra 50.'s and the initial dive accel. Even when a p47 is over me and even if he is a great pilot in the end all I really need to do is get down on the deck and let the 51's higher speed take me away(this of course is based on the assumption that I SEE him before he dives) In short  WHATS THE DEAL WITH THE THUNDERBOLT? share the wealth guys tell me why its so gooooood:confused: Poppysead.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2002, 11:42:07 AM »
Well first of all, many of us fly it because it's our favourite ride, not because it's the best.  In fact, I enjoy the challenges of flying a ride that isn't really the "best" thing at arena combat.  I like the Jug because it's big, mean, fast, and has lots of guns.  It's the best .50 based gunset in the game, and I've always preferred the .50's to cannon birds of any stripe.  Oh, and it's got a stinkpile of ammo too.  I can't shoot for beans, but I've got pretty decent E fighting skills, so the Jug just fits my style and my skills.  Plus it's a much better looking plane than those tiny Spits and Ponies.

Why is the Jug better than the Pony?  Well it's definately tougher and has better firepower.  I find it has much superior low speed handling as well to be honest.  It's a pretty forgiving bird all around as long as you make sure the Aux tank is empty before you start stall fighting in it.  I think the Pony is certainly a better E fighter and it runs better, but that's about it.  While the Pony's sustained turn is likely a bit better due to it's better E retention, I'll stallfight a Pony in my Jug any day.  It's really going to come down to pilot skill and fuel load in my experience.  Sure the Pony is faster, but it doesn't accellerate fast enough to escape without giving a Jug driver a good shot at it's tail first.  And lord help you if you try to dive away from a Jug. :D

I also like the Jug because it's not all that common and it's often under-estimated.  There is nothing I like better than seeing a SpitIX and knowing the last thing he will expect is for me to turn with him... right before I turn with him. :D

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2002, 12:23:04 PM »
Nimitz,

I wasn't in the D-11.  D-25

Drex

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2002, 01:04:16 PM »
Yeah, sorry Drex.  I knew that, I even have it as D25 on the website itself.  Not sure why I put D11.  I edited previous post.

Nim

Offline freeze

• Zinc Member
P47 vrs SpitIX
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2002, 05:38:16 AM »
Very nice thread wtg.
but Lephturn are u sure that u can outturn a Spit with ur P47 ?
I want to see it.
So i am onlin nearly every day. It would be cool to have a duel against u. Call me dweeb but i love my SpitV and i never got shot down by a brick plane(p47).
So if u have time a duel wopuld be cool.

bets Freeze

P.S learned a lot in this thread i wish there would be more like this