Author Topic: Another Hero passes..  (Read 892 times)

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2002, 03:49:22 PM »

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2002, 04:51:54 PM »
Gabby. Although his mortal body passed away, he lives on, forever, in our memories. Let us remember what he did, why he did it, and the values he held to his last day. Truly, a great hero. Lest we forget!
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2002, 04:56:35 PM »
Very sad news.  Sancho and I chose to represent the 56th FG here in AH with heroes like Gabby, Bob Johnson, Hub Zemke, Gerald Johnson, Crazy Mike Gladych, etc... on our minds.  I did meet Gabby, however I never got the chance to know him. It will be my loss.

For those that don't know, the P-47D11 modeled in AH *HV-A* is the very AC that Gabby racked up his score with in early 1944.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2002, 05:20:43 PM »
Francis "Gabby" Gabreski.

I am very sorry to hear this news.  I wish I could have met him and I extend my condolences to his wife.

He made a difference and will be missed.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2002, 05:37:41 PM »
to Francis Gabreski.

:(

eskimo

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2002, 06:16:04 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
For those that don't know, the P-47D11 modeled in AH *HV-A* is the very AC that Gabby racked up his score with in early 1944.

I read about that in the "Who flew them?" thread.  And as a sad coincidence decided to take it up for a sortie, for the first time, last night.

Mr. Gabreski, where ever you are, and thank you.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2002, 06:25:13 PM »
SAD, very sad news  A few years back A man came into my store and had a birthday shirt custom made for Him, I was so proud to do the shirt.

Surely a sad day.

NUTTZ
I will FLy the Jug for the rest of the tour in his Honor.

Originally posted by Hangtime
Gabby has 9 kids... Linda is one of them. Gabby lived alone, his wife died some years ago in a horrible car accident they had on the way back from a commemorative event at Dayton Field.

Gabby was involved with our R/C modeling club, in fact we were scheduled to pick him and his big nose up next Thursday night, we were going to Hooters. :) He liked that place.. and the 56th FG restraunt in Farmingdale. His study looks like an aeromodeling museum.. he was in touch with most of his living contemporaries, and dammit I can't type anymore.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2002, 06:28:44 PM »
Another hero of mine passes! :(  I believe I was 6 or 7 years old when I first started folllowing fighter pilots and Gabby was one of the first I remember.  It is truely a sad day.

Hang, and others to have interacted with these men, do they realize that they have younger men like us who practically idolize them, read about all their exploits, and hold them in a deep regard?  I've always wondered that.

I asked a car to pull over that had WWII ACE on their licence plate.  He actually pulled over!  He was from Carlisle. Penna. and flew P-51s for the 15th AF.  He shot down 5 or 6 planes in WWII.  He seemed gladly surprised about my intrest in WWII pilots.  I believed he was flattered.

There are so few left. :(

Salute and may God bless!!!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2002, 06:33:56 PM »
Hang, and others to have interacted with these men, do they realize that they have younger men like us who practically idolize them, read about all their exploits, and hold them in a deep regard? I've always wondered that.

Swager, Gabby definitely realized it.  As happy as we were to meet him, he seemed just as happy that there were people who strongly appreciated and had interest in what he had done.  

Plus we knew the history and knew the jargon, so he could tell just about any old story without having to "dumb it down".  As he told us at one point while describing some engagement, "Ya know what I like about you guys, I don't have to EXPLAIN anything."

All the WWII aircrew I have met have expressed similar feelings.  The first few times I met guys like that I was very shy and felt very weird asking them questions.  But I quickly found that the guys who come to such events are guys who want to share, and they are excited that people have interest in their experiences.  

Once you get some of these guys going they will really tell you some amazing stuff.  And not just about dry subjects like deflection shooting or aircraft performance.  They can tell you things that only come from the mouth of somebody who has faced death and adversity and attained the wisdom of old age.  Most of them have a few incredibly funny stories too.

Maybe most importantly, the experience of talking to these guys has helped me to be able to ask questions of the old soldiers in my own family, for which I am very grateful.  I hope everybody will take advantage of any such opportunities they have, because these guys won't be around forever.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2002, 06:49:43 PM by funkedup »

Offline Karaya

• Zinc Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2002, 06:44:24 PM »
Francis Gabreski was a common sight at Long Island Airshows.
You could never miss him....he was usually surrounded by people waiting to meet him.

I had the privelage of meeting him twice. The first time I bought his book and stood on line. The line was about 20 people in length but it took forever to move because Mr. Gabreski made sure that he made contact with everyone. He signed my book, we spoke about the P47 vs FW matchup and he swore that once a FW tried to head for the deck they were mice meat for a 47.
He gave me a strong handshake for someone his age. I recall it well.

The second time was at a Wings Over Long Island Air Show. It was near the end of the day and few were around. As my friend Larry and I were leaving we saw him and one of his children heading in the same direction as us. We hooked up with him and spoke for a long long time. The sun was setting, it was warm, we all walked slowly and I was speaking to he highest scoring  American Ace. It was one of those outstanding moments.

Salute Gabby.
Karaya One

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2002, 07:01:43 PM »
It is a sad day indead, It is always sad to hear of these men passing,No matter whear their from or what branch of service they were in, their exploits have provided us with role models and given us heros who are real and who's deads and scacrifes were for  the betterment of us all. they live on in us for as the saying goes, they are not realy gone for they live on in us.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2002, 07:01:51 PM »
I am still organizing it, but Northolt Wing will probably be doing a dual memorial flyby on Sunday around 1pm, in the CT.

Two of the aircraft in AH are the personal mounts of real Northolt Wing members who passed away recently.  The Spit IX RF-M of Jan Falkowski, who was a commander of Northolt Wing, the P-47D-11 HV-A of Col. Gabreski, who flew combat missions with the Wing's 315 Squadron.  I'm planning to have a 4-ship of each type doing simultaneous missing man flybys.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2002, 07:19:05 PM by funkedup »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2002, 10:36:54 PM »
When they were young they saved the world..
Gabby

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2002, 12:57:21 AM »
... and as they grew older, they rebuilt it into a better place.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline mikecruiser

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2002, 09:49:41 AM »
I wonder how many famous aces of WW2 are still alive...Anybody knows about Hartman,Galland,Johnson???