Author Topic: Another Hero passes..  (Read 891 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2002, 09:52:29 AM »
Truly a sad day for all of us who are aviation fans.  Gabby was something special, and will be sorely missed.  I don't have to remind you but Gabby probably isn't the only veteran of that great conflict from 1939 to 1945 that passed away yesterday.  Because time does not call a truce, we lose many special people on an all to frequent basis.  Men like my father who fought from North Africa to Anzio.....some who fought in "The Battle of the Bulge, Okinawa, the Alleutians.  We are losing heroes daily because time will do what their enemies' could not do.  Let us remember not only great heroes like Gabby Gabreski, but also those who manned the guns onboard at Midway, landed at Sicily, Omaha, Juno, and gold beaches.  Who flew from the carriers in the Pacific, and those who were forced to march in Bataan. We have many heroes who fought in Korea, as well as Viet Nam. You see........we have so many heroes to be thankful for.....we have so many heroes to thank.

I am reminded somewhat of a scene from Macbeth, in which Macbeth is talking to the gravedigger near his fathers funeral...in essence he asks the gravedigger how long he'd been doing his work.....the grave digger responded       " I started my work the day you were born"

We have so little time left with these heroes of "The Greatest Generation"   Let's keep them all special....all the time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2002, 10:24:49 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2002, 10:05:39 AM »
At a loss for words..... ..      :(

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2002, 10:32:37 AM »
Top WWII Fighter Dies
Gabreski, of Dix Hills, was a hero over Europe
By Arnold Abrams
Staff Writer

February 2, 2002

At the controls of the Thunderbolt, a single-engine fighter produced by the now-defunct Republic Aviation Corp. of Farmingdale, Francis Gabreski downed 28 German aircraft to become the top American ace in Europe in World World II. He went on to fight in the Korean conflict, where, manning a sleeker and faster F-86 Sabre Jet, he was credited with killing 6.5 enemy MiG fighters.

Col. Gabreski, who was the nation's highest-ranking fighter ace, died of a heart attack Thursday at Huntington Hospital. He was 83 and a Dix Hills resident.

But among the numerous honors he accrued for his combat exploits, Gabreski ranked his 1978 admission to the nation's aviation hall of fame and the renaming of Suffolk County's Westhampton airport for him in 1992 as among the most appreciated.

Despite his legendary achievements, Gabreski, a dedicated man who stressed loyalty and personal discipline, never lost his knack for speaking bluntly.

When describing his first downing of a German Messerschmitt fighter, for example, he openly admitted the experience was frightful. "I said, ‘Oh my God, somebody can do the same thing to me,' and it scared the hell out of me,” he said.

Similarly, after being appointed president of the Long Island Rail Road, a post he held from 1978 to 1981, he became known as an employee advocate and publicly conceded that the line's commuter service "stinks.”

"My father said a lot of things you're not supposed to say,” said his daughter Frances Phillips of Westhampton, one of the nine children of Gabreski and his late wife Catherine, who was killed in a 1993 auto accident. "He was a straightforward man.”

Gen. Jerry Johnson, 82, one of the colonel's closest friends, recalled that, in keeping with his no-frills personality, Gabreski gracefully accepted much ribbing from colleagues about his military honors.

"He knew what he was, and he was not a god,” said Johnson, a resident of St. Petersburg, Fla., who retired from the Air Force in 1974 and, with 18 enemy kills to his credit, may succeed Gabreski as the nation's highest-ranking living ace. "In fact, he would say that if he could shoot as well as me, he would have done a lot better.”

Gabreski, who was born in Oil City, Pa., was downed near the end of World War II and spent several months in a German prison camp. When he retired from the Air Force in 1967, he had flown more combat missions than any other American pilot.

In one of his last interviews about a week ago, Gabreski, describing himself as "a relic from World War II,” said he had always considered it a duty to "perpetuate what this country did during that war.”

"I love this country, and I'm proud to be an American,” he said. "If we hadn't won the war, this world would now be an entirely different place.”

Gov. George Pataki, who met him several times at the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport in Farmingdale, said that through his combat exploits, Gabreski "created a legacy of excellence as a military leader and left a nation far stronger and far better prepared to defend its freedoms.”

In addition to his daughter Frances Phillips, Gabreski is survived by five other daughters and three sons: Djoni Murphy of Trego, Wis.; Mary Ann Bruno of Reno, Nev.; Patricia Covino of Westhampton; Linda Kay Gabreski of Huntington Station; Debbie Burkhart of South Huntington; Donald Gabreski of Dayton, Ohio; Jim Gabreski of Melbourne, Fla.; and Robert Gabreski of Holmes Beach, Fla. Other survivors include 18 grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and two sisters.

Visitation will be at the Mangano Funeral Home, 1701 Deer Park Ave., Deer Park, on Monday from 6-9 p.m. and Tuesday from 2-5 and 7-9:30 p.m.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. at St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Church, 35 North Service Rd., Dix Hills. Burial will follow at Calverton National Cemetery.

edit by Hangtime: His son Don retired from the Air Force to help take care of the kids.. because Don's wife is an Air Force General. Gabby pinned her Stars at a special ceremony held a Ramstein AFB and was a very very proud Daddy. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2002, 10:46:33 AM »
Aw man. I was deeply saddened to read of this news.  I just finished reading his book a couple weeks ago too and was hoping to meet him one day. :(

Gabby.  Thank you for your bravery, your leadership, your service to our country, and for being such an inspiration to so many.

This post needs another Gabby bird:

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2002, 10:57:25 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
I am still organizing it, but Northolt Wing will probably be doing a dual memorial flyby on Sunday around 1pm, in the CT.

Two of the aircraft in AH are the personal mounts of real Northolt Wing members who passed away recently.  The Spit IX RF-M of Jan Falkowski, who was a commander of Northolt Wing, the P-47D-11 HV-A of Col. Gabreski, who flew combat missions with the Wing's 315 Squadron.  I'm planning to have a 4-ship of each type doing simultaneous missing man flybys.

If you need somebody to fly jug, I'll be there.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2002, 11:11:11 AM »
Hangtime, are you planning on attending the funeral on Wednesday ?

I'll try to be there.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2002, 11:26:52 AM »
sent yah an email.. will be at the viewing monday night. Can't get away from work on wednesday.. boss out of town. :(

For those planning to attend... thank you.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline MAC

• Zinc Member
Another Hero passes..
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2002, 01:20:56 PM »
Hangtime and all those who have posted:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the passing of such a true hero.

Everytime you meet a Veteran, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME OUT TO THANK THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID, AND FOR WHAT THEY WOULD HAVE WILLINGLY WOULD HAVE DONE....THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE.

Salute to you SIR.