Author Topic: Why the P38?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Why the P38?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2002, 12:42:52 AM »
I wasn't offended CW.  :cool:  

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Why the P38?
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2002, 03:01:16 AM »
Originally posted by BigCrate
Anyone ever hear of the +Nomads or Tfs#1 from AW classic thru AW3??

Cw
=Twin Engined Devils=

Yep, I remember the Nomads from RR AW4W.  We even felt pity on one of them, +crazi and let him in the our squad.  He told some horrific stories of the Nomads and what they did to their sheep.  Almost as bad as the Shills...almost.

Ack-Ack
479th Fighter Group - Riddle's Raiders

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2002, 07:19:12 AM »
Secondly the recent small changes to the 38's flight and damage modelling have made it very much more capable in the AH MA. - and it pays good perkies.

FAR more then small changes, the request was to make the tail more durable, not onlt was it made a bit more durable, but now it and the rest of the plane is a flying tank.

Don't matter if the people who fly it says it's not, it is, I've flown it after the changes and I actually flew straight forward, was jumped buy  190 G10 with 20mm no gondolas, took a 2 second burts heard around 10x20mm hits but all that happaned was an oil leak and a dammaged flap, I escaped and I was as surprised as the 109 pilot.

A very good plane aswell, highly manuverable and accelerates better then most things, poor thing is high speed manuvering though.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Why the P38?
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2002, 07:56:00 AM »
Why do u luftwobbles expect to shootdown everything with one cannon bullit
:eek:

flying tank noway

did not survived any HO with a Fw yet

BUG322
=Twin Engined Devils=

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2002, 09:19:26 AM »
Ok.. I don't get it, I must be doing something right I guess..  For me, the 38 is one of the easiest planes to shoot down in the arena.   Far from being a "tank"  I know I won't have to use a lot of ammo on killing a 38.   the LW planes are all waaaayyy too durable though as is the A6m5 IMO.

Still... when you mention that one plane or another is "uber" n this BB the next day the arena is full of em.
lazs

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2002, 12:14:44 PM »
p38 rules

I've flown it since it first came to AH and its the only plane capable of retaining my interest for such a long period of time.

when i finally get a modem I will be flying it again :rolleyes:
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Why the P38?
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2002, 01:58:46 PM »
And that is good news :D
not so good for the enemy

BUG322
=Twin Engine Devils=

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2002, 03:27:06 PM »
"when i finally get a modem I will be flying it again "

? you mean ISP right?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2002, 05:07:39 PM »
had cable modem

need pci phone modem and isp
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2002, 05:41:00 PM »
Don't in any way expect to kill everything with one round. but P38's take a huge amount of dammage, today it happaned again, the P38 pilto said him self he heard a ton of hits, combined 20mm and 13mm but yet, he kept flying, pilot got wounded and an engine started smoking, but that was it.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2002, 09:16:56 AM »
Originally posted by Kanth
Animal,

Imagine a WW2 sim filled with P38's not spits not LA7's and not Niki's just tons of 38s..the plane for everyone..

after awhile it's  like I said you just get damn tired of it.

When I first started in AW it was the first plane I flew because it looked kewl...when I started in Full Realism Arena it was the easiest plane for me to learn in (easier than the 109)

but once everyone starts flying it over and over day in day out you just get damn sick of seeing it around.

btw this is also why I like IL2 so much, not filled with the usual suspects.

Kanth

Animal was there, and so was I. The sky was never filled with P-38s, it was too full of Spit IXs, running Ponies (the plane that goes Varoom), and Nikkis. I flew AW FR for the last 3 years it was up, and it was never full of P-38s. Only a very few masters flew the P-38 regularly, and a few idiots like me that couldn't fly anyway flew it too.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2002, 09:25:47 AM »
Originally posted by BigCrate
Anyone ever hear of the +Nomads or Tfs#1 from AW classic thru AW3?? I flew the 38 for 3 years on AW and the guys from the Nomads taught me how to fly it.. I was by no means a good 38 pilot. The guys from the Nomads could do things in that plane that I could only hope to do.. But I was a good all around pilot.
I flew the f4u and 109k but I ALWAYS flew the 38.the most
I fly the 38 now because it is the BEST plane you can fly. You can't find a better plane that combines speed, roll, climb, and turn in one plane. I just suck now just I'm not the person I was 3 years ago.. And I have to learn everything all over again.
And I think when we get a early model 38.. Well toejam is gonna fly!!
Because it will be lighter and more streamlined than the L model.
Thus it will probly turn better, have better exel, and better climb rate. But the roll rate will suck so you will need a dual throttle control and good rudder control. To get that big wing to roll.

"To fly the best aircraft you have to be the best pilot!"

Cw
=Twin Engined Devils=

"Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!"
Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown, USN

Heard of the Nomads? Silat was one of my favorite to fly with. And I was in the 327th, which was not a P-38 squad. There were two guys in the 327th early on who could be incredible in a P-38 but rarely flew it, one was KOOL, and the other was YES. Later, Tried was in the 327th, and he was no slouch. Me, I was never that good. On a really good night, I could get down to the final four in two or three KOTH matches, but that's it. Now, I can't even fly at all, because my rig won't keep a joystick working. But soon, there will be a new rig in my future, and maybe even a split throttle.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2002, 10:23:33 AM »
"and maybe even a split throttle."

Don't forget prop pitch.....

I wonder what would be the most effective (not immersive)...

CH flight yoke and pedals plus split throttle; or

Twisty stick with pedals, pedals to act as split throttle.

What has more authority in on a 38 as it is modeled today, presupposing the use of combat trim (most, do,after all )?

Which offers the finer degree of control?

Rudder or engines?

• Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2002, 10:35:46 AM »
Good questions Seeker, I wish I could fly so I could answer them. The differential throttling is supposed to make it roll faster and turn better, rudders supposedly only make it roll a little faster, but don't help as much in turn rate. If you don't feather the prop on the engine you throttle back, it will enhance the effect, whether that is good or bad depends on how well you choose your throttle setting.

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
as a matter of fact
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2002, 10:39:22 AM »
I want the yoke, the pedals, and the split throttle. But at around $600, it would cost as much as or more than my new computer will. I'll be stuck with my twisty stick for a while.

SaVaGe