Author Topic: Why the P38?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
Why the P38?
« on: February 22, 2002, 09:12:50 AM »
I base my question on a presumption. Since the demise of AW (And glad ya'll picked AH), I've seen alot of P38's. Why? Was the AW P38 a popular aircraft there?

I was a WB weenie, never flew AW, so pardon the ignorance. I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything else. That and I want to check on something here today other than that silly lightbulb (checkmark).

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 09:15:56 AM »
Just a wild guess here, but I'm assuming the AW P38 was to AW what the LA-7/N1K is to AH.

I haven't flown AW since the Dos days....

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 09:41:50 AM »
2 reasons:

Firstly, you're right, the 38 was a very effective turn fighter in AW; primarily becuse the flaps would stay down; and thus act as a drag brake - almost nothing could beat one in a nose low turn, a Spit would pick up speed compared to the 38 with the flaps out nose low - start to turn wide and the 38 would nail it.

Secondly the recent small changes to the 38's flight and damage modelling have made it very much more capable in the AH MA. - and it pays good perkies.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Why the P38?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 09:43:48 AM »
my 109 eats p38s for lunch
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Why the P38?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 10:09:07 AM »
Naaa..my 38 eats 109's for Breakfast, and dinner so there.

The 38 wasnt a Niki in AW, nor a La7. You had to know the plane to fly there...simliar to here. The 38 here is tougher now which helps. I see MORE 38's than I use to but still not alot.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 10:45:23 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing. It also seems that the 38s handling has been changed because I've seen some unbelieveable moves pulled off in it lately. My favorite is the pull up, flip over split S thingy at like 300mph with little loss of speed. One minute your chasing them, the next they're coming at you HO.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2002, 10:47:52 AM »
Naaaaa.... thats front end thingy. They're going up...turning over and then the 38 accelerates like a bat out of hell in a dive.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2002, 11:01:59 AM »
Originally posted by batdog
Naaaaa.... thats front end thingy. They're going up...turning over and then the 38 accelerates like a bat out of hell in a dive.

xBAT

I haven't flown the P-38 since mid way through tour 24. I think it's time to take another one up.

BTW, I spotted a horde of P-38s raiding Rook territory last evening. I believe you were one of them. I was unable to really intervene with my Yak-9T, but did get the last one tho' with that monster 37mm as he raced past. The rest of you guys disappeared like a fart in a tornado...... It made me appreciate the maneuverability of the Lightning. High-speed roll is awesome.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2002, 11:17:18 AM »
38 is a great ride Widewing. Since your use to the FM of AH now I'd give it a whirl.

Yea... I was in that mess but w/a different mission,lol. Just to damn many cons for my fat 38 to deal with. I think I managed a kill or two... cant remember.

xBAT

AKDejaVu

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2002, 11:17:38 AM »
YeA the 38 in AW was an outstanding plane.But you did have to know it somewhat.I find the realism factor in AH makes it harder to learn.I was allways a 109 freak anyway.It would loop like crazy and not all that long ago I saw a guy fly that thing like they flew in AW.River of death took on about 5 of us staggered and killed em all.Really was some nice flying so if you get a good grasp of what it can do...its as deadly a plane as any of them.
  Just my opinion...I could be wrong:)
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Why the P38?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2002, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by moose
my 109 eats p38s for lunch

Funny, my P-38 craps out 109's.  Must be all that saurkraut.

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Why the P38?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2002, 02:44:20 PM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel
I've been wondering the same thing. It also seems that the 38s handling has been changed because I've seen some unbelieveable moves pulled off in it lately. My favorite is the pull up, flip over split S thingy at like 300mph with little loss of speed. One minute your chasing them, the next they're coming at you HO.

It's called a snap roll reversal but it happens so fast that on your FE it looks like a sudden 'flip'.

Just a wild guess here, but I'm assuming the AW P38 was to AW what the LA-7/N1K is to AH.

Not even close, the Spitfire MxIX and then later on the B-17 uber-fighter of AW3 joined that list.  Like AH, the P-38 in AW was deadly in the hands of someone who knew how to fly it and easy to kill if they didn't.  There were also two types of P-38 pilots in AW, those that took time to learn the plane and how to fly it and others that took the short cut and only used the P-38 to 'game the game'.  The two types of P-38 pilots are easy to spot in the arena.  The more dedicated P-38 pilot still flies the plane, while the other type, professing to have been a P-38 uber-god in AW, are now flying Niki's and La7's.

Ack-Ack
479th Fighter Group - Riddle's Raiders

Offline Ossie

• Copper Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2002, 05:51:25 PM »
The 38 in AW took more benefit from good flap control than any other plane. You could whip the nose around at moderate speeds, and then keep it working around at what would normally be sub-stall speeds. With full flaps, the thing could hang at a very high AoA and just sit there, climbing. Properly managed, it could give someone fits if they tried to rope you. It could pretty much immelman forever from the point of takeoff.
For the most part, the really good P38 pilots were respected. The reason being because by itself, the plane just wasn't all that spectacular. It really did take good pilot management to make it uber.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2002, 07:25:53 PM »
Originally posted by Ossie
The 38 in AW took more benefit from good flap control than any other plane. You could whip the nose around at moderate speeds, and then keep it working around at what would normally be sub-stall speeds. With full flaps, the thing could hang at a very high AoA and just sit there, climbing. Properly managed, it could give someone fits if they tried to rope you. It could pretty much immelman forever from the point of takeoff.

Exactly which is i think why some liken it to planes like the Niki and the LA7.

The only thing that plane didn't have was extremly high speed handling.

For the most part, the really good P38 pilots were respected. The reason being because by itself, the plane just wasn't all that spectacular. It really did take good pilot management to make it uber.

I think it was more that people expected it not to be very useful because of it's size and lack of roll and some took the time to find out that those folks were wrong.

I'm not sure how many people even used flaps on any planes or took the time to really learn how to do anything more than B&Z=lockon=>flat turn to death.

I personally hate the 38 in the same way that I hate those dumb Cleo commercials or the freaking bowflex commercials..

thank gawd that is over. :)

Kanth
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Why the P38?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2002, 08:45:50 PM »
how the hell can someone hate such a beautiful plane.