Author Topic: Why Perdonia?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Why Perdonia?
« on: February 24, 2002, 10:59:53 PM »
Am I the only one scratching his head and wondering why?  :confused:

We have a historical arena called the Combat Theatre whose focus is historical match up's. That is why most of us fly there. Yet the very first terrain they produce is a fantasy terrain. Or maybe it is a section of the world I don't know about. :)

Nuttz, hblair could you not have used some other part of Europe and produced the same results? For me Perdonia is a fine MA map, but it is out of place in the CT.

Personally I hope you stick to "historical terrains" for the CT.

My 2 cents.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2002, 11:18:41 PM »
Well, with the WWII Arena setup that we're running this week, this terrain is well suited. It's a fantasy planeset, so having a fantasy terrain isn't gonna hurt it too much I don't think.
There will be plenty of full cod historical looking terrains for you, like the upcoming Tunisia terrain.

BTW, this terrain started out as a piece of actual real estate, Nuttz just modified it for what we needed.

Offline LJK_KämpferAs

• Copper Member
      • http://www.demonz.co.nz
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 01:18:10 AM »
Plus, if I remember rightly, most CT regulars thought the idea of using the new maps in CT first might get some more people in thier. And then find out how good it really is....

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 01:34:14 AM »
i was leary about a make believe land map but this map is alright.

it looks great fun gameplay .......wtg on 1 weeks work nuttz S!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 07:58:56 AM »
Yeah, CT is about historical matchups... plane matchups (and vehicles).  The CT is not and SHOULD NOT IMO be a scenario.

For realistic everything and everybody flying the way you think they should fly, scenarios are where it's at.  The CT won't work as a "scenario" IMO... it needs something more simple.  I think this terrain is perfect.  It's certainly a lot more suited to the CT than the channel map for example.  Just look at how many folks were in the CT on Sunday... 50 most of the afternoon.

Perdonia rocks. :)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 08:38:59 AM »
What Lephturn said. While I do also enjoy historic terrains (very much so) I also enjoy this one quite a lot.

Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2002, 08:42:53 AM »
I too prefer historical terrains, but this terrain is an exception to the rule, the spawn points for GV's was well thought out, I can't say that for the historical terrains I've been in....

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 09:19:33 AM »
no the channel map is 100 times better but the current map is good. :)

The only maps I'll avoid are the pac maps after what I saw in the 1st pac set with the milk runnin cv parkin and ack runnin I'll stick to the main for that.

I like the stalingrad map as well..............

Maybe give the Big Week map a try in place of the Euro map it has much smaller flight times........

or how about the kursk map.............

or 10bears western germany map (is that done.......?)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2002, 10:30:26 AM »
This is a great map purpose built for the CT.  It could be anywhere.  

Well done NUTTZ!!

F.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2002, 10:54:57 AM »
Aw c'mon Daddog, didn't you know Perdonia is in Yurop ? ;)

Also, even in the channel Map, people still refer to fields such as "A45" or "D69"... not "Derry" or "Willenshaven" :)

I like historical maps as well, but this one looks well done & yep, gameplay looks nice on it.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2002, 11:21:05 AM »
Ok, I can see where you guys are coming from. Though I can’t say I agree with it all. :)

I was not suggesting making the CT into a scenario, and like you, I would think that would be a mistake.  But I also don’t think having “historical” terrains would be a step in that direction.

Just look at how many folks were in the CT on Sunday... 50 most of the afternoon.

Welllll, you always get a jump in numbers with a new map.  :rolleyes:  Lets see how popular it is 3 months from now. :)  Put in another new map in 2 weeks and you will have the same numbers.

CT should be just what it is. Historical match ups, but for me having the historical terrains adds to the arena.

Lastly yes the CM's have an agreement to use our new terrains in the CT first. I think both can benifit from that, but Perdonia did not come from the terrain team.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2002, 11:26:56 AM »
The plan that has evolved is to provide a mix of historic (and loosely structured) set ups alternating with the Axis-vs-Allied set ups like Perdonia.  Even for the historical and quasi scenario-ish set ups, we try to provide the most diverse planesets as possible while still preserving historical matchups.  We can't please everyone all the time, but we'll at least try not to tick anyone off:).

10Bears' Germany map is indeed in the rotation, as are the Tunisia map, an updated Philippines map, and the Sicily/Malta map.  This last one, Sicily/Malta, will be the next set up.  It will not only give the map a "hot-soak" prior to the scenario, and give the scenario pilots and CO's a hot arena to do some practice in, it will also give the CT the boost a new terrain always entails.  

Sabre
CT Team
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2002, 11:44:15 AM »
Here's how/why this terrain came about...

For a while we have been needing a purpose built two sided terrain just for the CT. We've used MA terrains with one country shut down, and scenario terrains that are not well suited for the CT. It was time for something that was playable.

About 2 weeks ago I saw Nuttz in the arena, and hit him on private channel, and ask him if he could do a terrain like the baltic with two sides, and have it ready in one week? Nuttz says sure. We go in H2H and fly in an unfinished terrain he started a while back. I take some screenshots, go to desktop, open the screenie in windows paint, draw where I'd like to have bases and waterways, etc. Split the countrires diagonally so the front is like 300 miles wide to start with. I put 2 ports per side, etc etc etc. The terrain is like it is because it was designed to be that way.

Nuttz builds the terrain just like I had drawn up, and adds some Mtns here and there, makes some nice beach textures etc. Nice water textures. We made the channels with the idea of being able to get CV's close enough to shell enemy strat targets. Nuttz had to spend a lot of extra time getting the channels wide enough for the fleets to pass thru.

It's just hard to get all this out of an existing piece of real estate. And to do it in less than 2 weeks from start to finish.

Also, much credit goes to HTC for creating a terrain editor that makes this sort of thing possible.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2002, 11:47:35 AM by hblair »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2002, 11:53:24 AM »
Also, some of you may be wondering "What is a Perdonia"? Well, I don't know, I told Nuttz to give it a name, we couldn't think of anything and he comes up with Perdonia. I asked him what it meant, he said it was a womans perfume. I've never heard of it. :D Sounds funky tho. I dig it! ;)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Why Perdonia?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2002, 11:56:17 AM »
Wasn't Perdonia a fake country in a Marx Brother's film?

eskimo