Author Topic: Absurd features  (Read 2304 times)

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
Absurd features
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2002, 01:27:30 AM »
Originally posted by Naudet
Here my 2 cents:

1) its true, instant death should not be caused by trees.

I wouldn't be so sure.  I'll have to check, but I don't think the PzKW IV came with driver's-side airbags.  I have no idea about seat belts/straps, but if not, you wouldn't have to hit a tree very fast to severely injure the crew.  I'd imagine that breaking the loader's arm, or knocking the driver unconscious, would make the tank nearly useless as a weapon.

Now, I don't know how fast you have to hit a tree to blow up, but I've hit them slowly and lived to tell the tale.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Absurd features
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2002, 02:27:18 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Somebody remind me........  when was the last time he posted something he liked about the game?

If "he" is me, why I should post something like "AH is online flightsim number ONE", or "What and impressive sim" or whatever like that? IMO these kind of posts are empty nonsenses. I'm a customer, I pay for AH while not paying for the competence, I have an entire web site dedicated exclusively to AH. Enough "cheertarded" scum for you Toad? Happy now?

Pointing the faults is the best way to demostrate the interest in any program. Cheerleaders are just the worst cancer for any development.

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
Absurd features
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2002, 04:09:42 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE

Pointing the faults is the best way to demostrate the interest in any program. Cheerleaders are just the worst cancer for any development.

Followed very closely by people who label minor quibbles as "absurd features" and "100% nonsenses."

Let's just put it this way -- if someone made suggestions to me the way you present suggestions to HTC, I'd wonder whether their motive was to improve me, or to make me feel like a jerk.

You might argue, that in a customer-vendor relationship, the vendor has to put up with a lot of crap.  While that's normally true, I guess, I don't see the relationship between myself and HTC as a typical customer-vendor relationship.  I see Aces High as an expression of craftsmanship unlike any other -- I haven't the hubris to label it as absurd, even though there are aspects that I would like to be different.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Absurd features
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2002, 04:27:36 AM »
pbirmingham, see your point and would agree about the "form". What about "minor absurd features"?

Offline RatPenat

• Zinc Member
Absurd features
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2002, 05:07:11 AM »
I maybe stupid by I'm with Mandoble in all aspects except CV problem.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Absurd features
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2002, 05:27:07 AM »
If there's one thing that's really bothering me it is the "XXX wants to join you plane" showjoin window smack in the middle of the screen. Of course the joiner doesn't ask up front and the window blocks my view at the worst moment.

Hitech, is it hard to change this so that join requests appear in the msg bar by default??

Apar

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Absurd features
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2002, 06:34:24 AM »
Originally posted by Apar
If there's one thing that's really bothering me it is the "XXX wants to join you plane" showjoin window smack in the middle of the screen. Of course the joiner doesn't ask up front and the window blocks my view at the worst moment.

Hitech, is it hard to change this so that join requests appear in the msg bar by default??

Apar

How about a little light on the dash like the Beakon that flickers whenever someone requests to join to join...
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Absurd features
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2002, 06:41:52 AM »
Originally posted by Apar

Apar

// mode I'm a bastard ON

If your in a fighter just accept and squelch (*) him and fly like a rather prudent Boom&Zoomer ;) if your in a bomber ... sadly I've no solution currently :(

(*) You won't read him screaming because of boredom :D

// mode I'm a bastard OFF
Each time I'm faced a such an unwanted join request I do that it work always :)

Isn't it a great solution ?

muahahah :D

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Absurd features
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2002, 07:28:54 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
pbirmingham, see your point and would agree about the "form". What about "minor absurd features"?

He's Runny Damnit! :eek:

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Absurd features
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2002, 09:26:39 AM »
Yes, indeed, I am talking about Mandoble in that remark.

He reminds me of Spiro Agnew's comment about the "nattering nabobs of negativism".

I truly DO NOT remember the last time he had a kind word to say about HTC or the game.

Sure, there are faults in the game code. Without a doubt they should be acknowledged and discussed on the boards.

Allow me to quote pbirmingham, however, for those that may have skimmed over his remarks:

pbirmingham: Let's just put it this way -- if someone made suggestions to me the way you present suggestions to HTC, I'd wonder whether their motive was to improve me, or to make me feel like a jerk.

There  IS  a way to comment and make suggestions about the game without being well, obnoxious and rude.

pbirmingham again:

I don't see the relationship between myself and HTC as a typical customer-vendor relationship.

Exactly. Although I have never personally met a single one of them, I most certainly consider them my friends and friends of long standing at that.

I would NEVER critique ANY of my friends in the non-stop, non-friendly way in which Mandoble seems to excel, particularly if they were supplying me with an excellent source of recreation for merely pennies a day.

I WOULD (and DO) make suggestions... in a polite way.

If one were to take the last 200 posts from Mandoble, print them out and bind them in book form and then, give them to someone who knows nothing about AH, what conclusion would that person come to about the game?

...and perhaps more to the point what conclusion about Mandoble?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2002, 09:34:13 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Absurd features
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2002, 09:35:40 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I WOULD (and DO) make suggestions... in a polite way.

If one were to take the last 200 posts from Mandoble, print them out and bind them in book form and then, give them to someone who knows nothing about AH, what conclusion would that person come to about the game?

...and perhaps more to the point what conclusion about Mandoble?

Sorry to butt in here but what exactly are you saying? That we should all throw in a couple of "good remarks" about the game if we want to comment on changes we want? Just in case some moron decides to print out the previous 200 posts..."oh what impression would they get"?

Who cares what impression they would get?

There are lots of ways to suggest changes. I cannot say that I find the first post in this thread very rude or inpolite.

[edit] we are all here, and we all pay $15 a month, that should say more than enough about how good we think this game is. And I should be allowed to post my opinions and thoughts on what could be better in teh game, and what I think should be changed.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Absurd features
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2002, 09:48:45 AM »
Toad, most of my posts are located in the Game FEEDBACK/ISSUES forum. Most of them are proposals and new ideas, some others are what you would interpret as whines and none of them is a Cheerleader childist post, IMO, HTC doesn't need them and I see no sense into remembering them how good is his product. It is much more positive and productive to try to find out what can be improved and how, even when we are absolutely wrong.

In any case, get the list of my last 200 posts (or even 400) and try to find out a single one critizing destructively in a nonsense way AcesHigh. Once you have the list, create a new thread: "The infamous EVILDOBLE agenda", post the list and let the people to take their own conclusions.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Absurd features
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2002, 09:54:58 AM »
It's not wether you agree with everything in the game, or want anything changed.  It's how you do it.  Customers or not, $15/ month or not, the folks behind this game are people, and we all react in a similar fashion to negative feedback.

http://www.usatoday.com/careers/news/2001-03-07-criticism.htm

Also, the Gameplay Feedback forum is the proper place for suggestions or things you think should be changed.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Absurd features
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2002, 09:55:49 AM »
No, I'm merely suggesting that one use common courtesy when dealing  with these "issues".

The game does need to be critiqued by the players. Feedback is essential for them to shape the product.

However, I think it should be offered without the continual negativism that accompanies some posters remarks.

In short, when I post or call them about problems, I try to remember that there are real people on the other end, people who are very proud of what they have created and that have that "pride of ownership" feeling.  

Try to remember the last time somebody bashed something you had created... a picture, a piece of writing, a finished job... something you had worked very hard on. How would you feel if you were subjected to the continual drumbeat of impolite and sometimes downright nasty criticism?

Being polite costs absolutely nothing. Throwing in the occasional compliment costs absolutely nothing.

You know, when this gets to be "no fun" for the HTC folks... the rest of us are in DEEP DOO.

I'll suggest that the non-stop nattering nabobs of negativism are certainly a "no fun" factor.

But, of course, feel free to complain constantly... after all 50 cents a day certainly gives you that right.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Absurd features
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2002, 10:12:20 AM »
If you are happy just show it : Bribe them !

(search any Hitech post to learn how to bribe correctly ;))