Author Topic: Gridline fun  (Read 708 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Gridline fun
« on: February 26, 2002, 05:46:26 AM »
The North / South simple bridges I make give no grid line errors when the river (water) tiles run from NE to SW.

Yet when the river (water) tiles run from NW to SE the southern most leg of the bridge returns a grid line error.

This is true across a terrain with some 20 odd bridges.

I use a spread sheet to place the objects.....it returns the placement to 6 decimal figures and it is the same for all bridges.

The only thing I change between the two is the location of the  bridges maproom and tower.

1) it is possible that the "rounding" of the co-ordinate is different on the southern bridge to the northern one. (I always calculate it with respect to the apex co ordinate)This may also apply to the angle.

2) it is possible that the runway is not exactly 2460 long.

3) But why is the gridline checker  apparantly tile type sensitive?

4) Another possibility is that the grid line checker only checks 2 of the the 4 grid lines in each tile??? (eg btm and left)

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Gridline fun
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 09:24:28 AM »
Hello Tilt
1) it is possible that the "rounding" of the co-ordinate is different on the southern bridge to the northern one. (I always calculate it with respect to the apex co ordinate)This may also apply to the angle.
The positioning of the object ( X, Y and Z coordinates ) are only 3 decimal points.
The angles ( Roll, Tilt and Rotate ) are 4 decimal points.
2) it is possible that the runway is not exactly 2460 long.
 The Runway is only 5277.002 ft long (5280= 1 mile)  Using the Gridline error checker as a reference, not sure if this is accurate.
Place a Runway at 0,0,0 coordinates.  You can move the Runway a maximum distance North of .999 ft and South of 1.999 ft.
Hence I conclude that 5280-(.999+1.999)=5277.002 ft
3) But why is the gridline checker apparantly tile type sensitive?
4) Another possibility is that the grid line checker only checks 2 of the the 4 grid lines in each tile??? (eg btm and left)
Nuttz brought this to my attention at the same time I had realized this, that all object are not neccessarily centered within themselves.
Example:
Place a Runway object (VOD0) at 0,0,0 coordinates and rotate it 180*.
Now place another Runway object (VOD1) at the same coordinates.
You will see that the Runways are not exactly on top of each other.  You can still see Runway (VOD0) which is West of center.
Also if you do a gridline check you will see that (VOD0) will give you an error. (Sometimes it doesn't!!!)

This can also be true if Rolling or Tilting objects.  Sometimes it seems Tilting is closer to center than Rolling like for Runways and STRTAXIs

Pokie

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Gridline fun
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2002, 12:34:58 PM »
The runways are 5280.

But the checker gives you a 1 foot overlap on  all edges as a slush factor.

The other .99 foot is a truncation error do to the method used in the crossing test.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Gridline fun
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 04:11:08 PM »
Thanks for clarifying this for us HiTech and the quick reply.

P.S Does this mean that any item placed very near a gridline is ok as long as the "Objects on grid lines" checker come back with no errors.

Pokie
« Last Edit: February 27, 2002, 04:18:13 PM by pokie »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Gridline fun
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 05:21:02 PM »
I gave up on maths and went back to arithmatic.

So now I have taken the slush factor and the error tolerance up to the full and lay them down a fixed distance from the apex grid line. (In effect therefore they do cross the grid line but the error checker saya that its ok)

Actually you can lay them down to 6 decimals but then the OBA file rounds off and can leave you with an error.

The tile thing was a complete red herring.................... it turns out that I had located a group of bridges by another method and the file checker said they were ok (actually they were not.)

All vehicles cross the bridges Ok with the occasional exception of an LVT at the apex.

You need 20mph plus to cross the apex safely.

Any way all bridges are located now and all error reports are OK.  I am continuing to lay roads.................

Objects are presently at over 8000 with 97 fields/depots.

I get three missing item reports when checking the terrain via off line play...............any thing I should be looking for?

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Gridline fun
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 05:44:41 PM »
Pookie, the only error cause by crossing grid lines is purly visible.

If an object cross a grid line it will still be cut off, even if the checker dosn't show an error.

But with a 1 foot cut, im not sure it would be noticable.

HiTech

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Gridline fun
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 06:35:45 PM »
Thanks HiTech!

As for you Tilt :)

What does it say?
I get three missing item reports when checking the terrain via off line play...............any thing I should be looking for?
Does it just say you are missing  an item?

Hmmm, do you by any chance have 88MANX ground guns placed anywhere?  I can't select that shape without the Editor crashing.

Also you are correct about laying shapes with the coordinates upto 6 decimal points, and then the OBA file rounds it off to 3 decimal points.  
I should have cleariflied that :)

Pokie

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Gridline fun
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 07:16:47 AM »
Originally posted by pokie
Hmmm, do you by any chance have 88MANX ground guns placed anywhere?  

Pokie

(from work)

no  88Manx (that I am aware of)

The missing item (or is it image) report actually reports 4 times which might be a clue..........

I have 4 Flottilas which are missing CV's........ they work in every other respect...... I have even hung the hanger on the back deck of the cruiser (although  it does not all quite fit). DE 0 now defaults to the tower origin for the Flottila.

When using the terrain off line (beyond the report its self which occurs once on loading the terrain) there seems to be no detrimental effect I can find.

Tilt

ps ill give the exact wording from home   I think its "Missing Image"
Ludere Vincere

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Gridline fun
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 08:30:39 AM »
Map rooms for the CV's tilt?

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Gridline fun
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2002, 10:34:19 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Map rooms for the CV's tilt?

Hidden away in one corner.................. but all present last time I looked......... I'll check again tho for collide etc  I have not checked them lately.

I get no object errors at all now.

I have two ports with  airfields added....... (towers and maprooms deleted)  wonder if that could cause anything?

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Gridline fun
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2002, 12:53:45 PM »
It says Missing shape.................

Flottila map rooms are OK

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Gridline fun
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2002, 02:56:37 PM »
Tilt, try opening your .oba file and scan down the page and look at the shape section to see if something is missing ( a blank section )

"You can remove a shape while in the .oba file and not have any errors show up in the object checker.

Or if thats to big of a file to look at another way could be by deleting the last 1/2 or 1/4 of your .oba files.  ( make backup first :) ) and then build and see if the error goes away.

Pokie

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Gridline fun
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2002, 04:40:10 PM »
Originally posted by pokie
Tilt, try opening your .oba file and scan down the page and look at the shape section to see if something is missing ( a blank section )

Superb.........that was it .............. found it ........................a train was doubled up with some of its shapes missing

Thanks........

Tilt
« Last Edit: February 28, 2002, 04:42:59 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Gridline fun
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2002, 05:14:11 PM »
I'm glad you found your problem Tilt :)

Pokie