Author Topic: Custom clipboard maps for existing maps?  (Read 756 times)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Custom clipboard maps for existing maps?
« on: March 09, 2002, 11:30:34 PM »
Hello all,
I've looked through the posts, downloaded the terrain editor, and haven't found what I'm looking for, which is...

Is there any way to replace the clipboard maps that come with the maps that are in use in the MAs, CTs, and SEAs?

My beef is this... most of the maps in the clipboard are essentially unreadable. The texture colors are terrible contrast for reading base names, etc. Even though red and green are different colors, their "values" are very close, and they just melt together. Sometimes they even "strobe".

The clipboard maps as they are now are essentially high-altitude aerial photos. This is may look pretty, but it sucks for navigation. Look at any map, aviation or otherwise: the background consists of softer, muted colors (lighter and desaturated) while the items of interest (roads, bases, etc.) are darker, bolder. In AH this is opposite, and I find it very difficult to quickly glean any info from it.

If there is no way to overcome this, could it be made an option in the future, please?

Thanx in advance.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 07:04:41 AM »
as far as i know, no

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2002, 12:13:34 PM »
Dux, i know what you mean, I have often wondered ( and currently) working on a few terrains where the clipboard "map" is just that. A MAP!  I isn't a pretty looking clipboard map as far as eyecandy goes, but it is a valuable tool. I don't think any pilots in WW2 had realistic topography maps to look at. But i am also guilty of trying to make them look pretty and give you the "feeling" your there.
 I beleive theres also additional maps that can be used ( if you look in the clipboard you'll see the tabs) maybe alternative maps can be placed there, althou you'll need someone to do them.

NUTTZ

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2002, 01:06:50 PM »
Thx guys,
Nuttz... the extra maps that you can add are just BMPs, and won't scale in or out, and won't show radar data. But that still might be of some use...

I'm guessing that the maps need to be compiled at the time of the terrain "build", the map01.bmp, map02.bmp, etc... if I read it right. I read that the terrain editor will generate these maps for you, based on the texture data. Perhaps replacing these with "good" maps before compiling would do the trick.

This kind of thing is right up my alley... I'm a technical illustrator by profession... maybe we could do an experiment on this. I'll post an example of something I'd been playing with later today.
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2002, 03:57:13 PM »
okay, this is what I'm thinking of...   

it needs some work (I think I had started this before HTC redid the current map, so the icons that I did can go away) but I think this is much clearer and useful.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2002, 04:06:28 PM »
What's going on? Image should be attached....
Ahhh, was over 102400...

try again...
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2002, 04:23:57 PM »
You would think that you should be able to do this!  :(

Right now you can override the original terrain settings for the:

1) Field ownership
2) Planes, vehicles etc, available at the fields
3) Change the CVTG course

Also, if the terrain has no clipboard map you can input one.  
A lot of the games function seem to be around the ability to input new information that wasn't compiled into the terrain.

Pokie
« Last Edit: March 10, 2002, 04:28:55 PM by pokie »

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2002, 04:35:46 PM »
Dux

You can make any custom cb map you want.. Just name save as BMP 256x and name it the name of the map...

Your new custom map "becomes" the clipboard map..

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2002, 09:16:32 PM »
10bears, I've tried this with the ndisles map, no success. Could you be a little more specific in the what and where and pixel size? Thanx.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2002, 09:21:40 PM »
I believe Dux is refering to terrains that already have a clipboard map and wants to replace it with something else.

You can make any custom cb map you want.. Just name save as BMP 256x and name it the name of the map...

If for example, the terrain is called "Survive.res" that already has a clipboard map.  
Where do I place the new Survive.bmp file that I want to use while flying in H2H.
Is this set as 512x512 pixels / 256 colour?

Pokie

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2002, 05:10:05 PM »
Quoted fronm the Aces High online help ...

"At the top of the clipboard, there is a drop-down map list with the map descriptions and an Edit button for adding, editing, or deleting maps from the map list.  The default map list includes the standard terrain map ("Normal World") and maps for the small, medium and large fields.  The bitmaps are stored in the ../HTC/Aces High/maps directory, and all bitmaps must be 512x512 256 color bitmaps.  Different map lists may be saved for different terrains, with a maximum of 20 maps per terrain.

To add a new map to the list, first make sure the bitmap to be displayed is in the ../HTC/Aces High/maps directory.  Next, click on the Edit button to bring up the Edit Maps dialog. ..."

Dux ... I love your rendition of the Maps ... nice and readable. Are you a graphics artist by trade?  Could you apply the same technique to the "field" maps? That would be so nice ... and appreciated !!! :D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2002, 06:50:46 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Quoted fronm the Aces High online help ...

"At the top of the clipboard, there is a drop-down map list with the map descriptions and an Edit button for adding, editing, or deleting maps from the map list.  The default map list includes the standard terrain map ("Normal World") and maps for the small, medium and large fields.  The bitmaps are stored in the ../HTC/Aces High/maps directory, and all bitmaps must be 512x512 256 color bitmaps.  Different map lists may be saved for different terrains, with a maximum of 20 maps per terrain.

To add a new map to the list, first make sure the bitmap to be displayed is in the ../HTC/Aces High/maps directory.  Next, click on the Edit button to bring up the Edit Maps dialog. ..."

Dux ... I love your rendition of the Maps ... nice and readable. Are you a graphics artist by trade?  Could you apply the same technique to the "field" maps? That would be so nice ... and appreciated !!! :D

We are aware of this SlapShot but like Dux stated
... the extra maps that you can add are just BMPs, and won't scale in or out, and won't show radar data.

Pokie

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2002, 07:27:00 PM »
2 ways to make your CB map:
1:in the editor you can "capture" a picture of the entire map to use as your CB map. (upper left hand menu) it will ask what size you want the map i think you want the 1024x1024 pixels This will give you optimum zoom capabilities once in CB. (this will also automatically add the gridlines)

2: you can make your own make a 256x256 pixel map ( i believe, but could be wrong it may need to be 8-bit) once you made this CB map name it as the same name as your terrain and drop it into the same folder as the terrian c:/programfiles/HTC/editor/terrains/Dave... using "dave' as an example of your terrain name.

Tip: make all your tiles,maps etc. in 24-bit mode, then convert it to 8-bit, you'll get very little to ZERO degrading of the art ( just a very, very, very slite hue difference).

P.S. If your trying to replace the CB map with a new CB map into a terrain you didn't make yourself, then you cannot change the CB map.

Originally posted by Dux
10bears, I've tried this with the ndisles map, no success. Could you be a little more specific in the what and where and pixel size? Thanx.

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2002, 11:29:28 AM »
Nuttz:  "P.S. If your trying to replace the CB map with a new CB map into a terrain you didn't make yourself, then you cannot change the CB map."

Yup, this is what I've been asking about. Too bad, maybe in the future. Thanks, though.

Slapshot: "Are you a graphics artist by trade? Could you apply the same technique to the "field" maps? That would be so nice ... and appreciated !!!"

Yes, and yes. I'd like to do a complete "package" for each terrain. For the time being, I will work on some field maps... maybe it'll generate enough interest in getting better CB maps.

Open offer to map makers: If you're working on a map and would like to experiment with a clipboard map of the style I showed above, send me an e-mail. I'd be happy to help out.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2002, 02:55:57 PM »
Open offer to map makers: If you're working on a map and would like to experiment with a clipboard map of the style I showed above, send me an e-mail. I'd be happy to help out.

I may take you up on your offer Dux on my future terrains.  I don't like my Survive clipboard map, like you say, too hard to see information.  :D

Pokie