Author Topic: File host... 239bytes per sec...  (Read 398 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
File host... 239bytes per sec...
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2002, 11:33:10 AM »
Hey Skuzzy... you guys ever thought of talking to the Gamespy/Fileplanet crew?  They have a pretty good system for handling large downloads that works very well.  It just allows max X number of folks at a time, and it puts you in a timed waiting mode so you know how long the wait will be.  You see that it's going to be an hour, so yah click it and go have dinner.  Then, when you do get to be in line to download, it streams down pretty fast.

Just a thought, but they seemed to handle things like the CnC Renegade and Wolfenstein demos pretty well.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2002, 06:48:10 AM »
I got it in 56 seconds. :) No problem DLing here......

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2002, 07:36:34 AM »
I got the update with 80kb/s average, which is 80% of the max speed my cable can do. That's not bad, and I downloaded it same day when update came.

From finland.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2002, 07:45:57 AM »
Loading the patch initially was a real bummer – long downloads, corrupt files, timeouts, etc… However, it WAS even more irritating trying to see if folks posted a Mirror site for the new patch when the BBS itself was rendered useless by the bandwidth disaster during the first release. It all worked itself out in a 6 hour window thankfully...

Anyway, I at least understand Skuzzy's headache, why it all happened, and whines aside, still why it should be vented here so the next release isn't a mad rush that leads to frustration for the new players that don't expect it. Simple constructive criticism if you will…

Like Lefty said "Gamespy/Fileplanet crew? Maybe?

I don't know the costs or logistics of making their mirrors viable to the AH updates, but this release went way bad. Only for a 1/2 a day too, but why? In this market, that’s a long time. That was more detrimental to new players than any Niki vulchfest. Old school players  knew better. But, many new subscribers that make the arena 400+ players now, simply don’t.

God bless ya Skuzzy, lol, your quality people, but saying  HTC would have to buy T3 lines to advert this update madness is a bit misdirected. It’s a matter of taking alternate means to make a large download more manageable. And that’s not your department. I was under the impression you provided bandwidth for the arenas, but I might be reading into it, or wrong actually.

Still, I think user suggestions should be noted, if only for finding alternate avenues for delivering the update’s to the player’s in mass, without sacrificing the HTC server.

Course, all is good now, just saying.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2002, 07:51:01 AM by Creamo »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2002, 09:41:40 AM »
How 'bout perking patience...say 25 pts a day?

Might take some of the heat off.

Dmdmax