Author Topic: People are leaving the game  (Read 1514 times)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
People are leaving the game
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2002, 07:20:32 PM »
I just remembered this.  I had this exact same problem on a friends computer, and when I tried switching back to my onboard sound card!  It was the bleeping sound card drivers.  The more sounds being played, and particularly flak or enemy engines would cause a massive hit on fps (even to 0).  All I did was found a different sound driver (i actaully think it was older) and installed it.  Voila worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!  I would try it if you havnt.  Go find an older driver if you have the newest or look for a non manufacuter driver.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2002, 07:21:17 PM »
http://www.driverguide.com

login: drivers
password: all

then do a search.  Pretty good tool.

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2002, 11:11:28 PM »
My frame rates have also become unplayable since 1.09.

My system specs are:

Win98SE
P3 1GHz
384 MB RAM
60gb HD
Plantronics USB Headset (I don't use a soundcard).
VisionTek GF3
Dx8.1
Promise ATA 100 Mass Storage Controller

mb:  Tazer II - Tyan S1854 Via 133A 4X with Integrated Components

BTW, My Frame rates are usually the worst in the MA, and in smaller fights with less aircraft the game is as smooth as it was pre-1.09.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2002, 12:16:49 AM by Nath[BDP] »
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2002, 11:50:56 PM »
I left the game too....

FOR 3 hours while I attended class!!

SKurj

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2002, 08:08:32 AM »
This is just plain bizarre.   I see several posts about frame rate loss, and yet I have 3 different systems here ranging from a 550Mhz P3 to a 1.8Ghz P4 Northwood and 3 different video cards (NVidia Gf2 64MB GTS Pro, ATI Radeon, and ATI Radeon 9500) and for the life of me I cannot duplicate the frame rate loss.
Indeed, my 1.8Ghz ATI Radeon 8500 based system actuall gained a few FPS from 1.08 to 1.09.

The only thing I can speculate on as to why some would see a loss and others would not would be the Internet connection itself.  I do have faster than normal access to the Internet than most would.

To those having frame rate loss, I think it might be interesting to see what type of Internet connection you have.  Whether of not you are using a USB based modem, winmodem, or whatever type of connection information you can post might help.  If you have DSL or cable, please state the up and down speeds of the connection as well.
Are you NAT based?  Do you go through a proxy?  Are the effects different when you disable or enable your personal firewall?
Those that are not having any FPS degradation, please post your data too.

Maybe we can find a coorelation between these.  I am really reaching here, but there has to be something consistent between those who claim a loss in FPS versus those who have no degradation of FPS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2002, 08:21:04 AM »
I'm starting to suspect it's sound cards Skuzzy.

Take a look above at the folks having problems with lower quality integrated sound chips.  And then there's Nath's USB headset instead of a soundcard, which I highly suspect is the source of his problems given that the rest of his machine is pretty beefy.

For now, try upgrading your soundcard drivers if you can folks.  It's worth a shot.  Other than that, we may have to see if HT can give us the option to disable AH Voice, and see if that gives you your framerate back.

BTW, I'm running AH 1.09 on the following:

Athlon Classic 700 (Slot A)
Abit KA7-100
256 MB PC-133 SDRAM
Voodoo 5 5500
SB Live Value
D-Link Ethernet --> Cable modem
Windows 98SE

I've actually seen a small INCREASE in framerates.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2002, 08:46:30 AM »
amd xp 1800+ (1.53ghz)msi geforce3 ti200 64
gigabyte mb kt233 (I think)
256 ddr ram
windows XP
15g harddrive
really old crappy us robotics 56k winmodem
connecting through toad.net in Washington, DC.  

100fps everytime, all the time.

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2002, 09:07:23 AM »
Could be sound card _ I got a crappy onboard chip and I took a big hit. Maybe the new AH voice setup is just too much for it, although it seemed to work fine with the beta.

I know it's not internet connection issues, since I have the same problem flying offline as well as on.
I doubt it's my OS _ I installed it only about four months ago, and really haven't loaded much on the machine.
Some odd things I've noticed.
1. My FPS are about the same taking off, with lots of ground clutter and stuff, as they were before. The problem is that they don't improve like they used to when I get off into the wild blue yonder. They actually get worse.
2. When flying offline things will start off like the good old days, 65-70 fps, but then drop to 35-38 after I fly around awhile or if I check the map.
3. In MA I notice a virtually unplayable drop in FPS after I blast someone and they begin to smoke _ something I'd never noticed before.

I'm going to try installing my old Soundblaster16 and see if that improves things.

AMD 800
256 ram
Voodoo 3 16mb
via sound chip
win 98

Offline kkierste

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2002, 12:15:04 PM »
I have a very-well maintained and well-tweaked:

AMD K6-2 300
196MB PC 133 RAM
32 MB GeForce 256 Based Elsa Erazor X with dedicated IRQ (11)
AOpen 56k PCI data-fax-voice
MB is AX59 PRO (AOpen) with Via Mvp chipset
SB Live! (Brand new)

Ok I think those are the only ones that will matter; what I'm going to do is disable my sound card in Device Manager to see what happens to fps...will be back...

Ok...back

Can't get into game w/sound card disabled (makes sense I think)

Other things to note:
I use ZA firewall; no changed in Fps disabled (checked already)
I can't believe internet connection should have anything to do with it, but there is a 10fps gain when I play offline, up to a whopping 18fps.

My modem connection is consistently fast connecting at between 49 and 52kbps, and downloads usually run at about 5.1K per sec which is good for 56k modem.  

This system is on it's way to the donation bin
« Last Edit: March 19, 2002, 12:28:34 PM by kkierste »

Offline bongo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2002, 01:17:01 PM »
I have a MB sound card.
P4B266 with the C-Media Soundcard, sound is awsome, Voice works great, no frame rate loss at all.

Offline maddog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2002, 03:56:55 PM »
Also have USB headset... works great by the way,   didn't notice any change, but then I wouldn't with a 2000+ and 512MB... GF3. USB headset thou works as advertised.......

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2002, 04:47:35 PM »
I have a 1500/384 DSL connect.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2002, 05:24:40 PM »
A little FPS lost happened in 1.09 but its not problem. Its usually now in 30-50 and earlier it was 30-70.

My system is:
Athlon Classic 650mhz
Asus K7M
3 x 128 Mb sdram 133
Creative GF3 Ti200 64mb
20Gb HD

Win ME

The only problem I have is that system freezes sometimes when crashing down. I think iit is the same bug (or similar) what was in AH few months ago.

Minor problems has been with AHvoice.

Oh.. almost forget...  connectionproblems are quite bad... lag is really bad.
I am a spy!

Offline sprint

• Copper Member
sound card
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2002, 10:11:29 PM »
I lost fps to .. Just reformated ..
98se
384 ram
o/c 1008Mhz
gForce3 Ti200
TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ

I was getting around 60 fps 1280x1024  32 bit 2X
now close to 38-40 in 16 bit 2X

sprint
:cool:

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2002, 07:08:55 AM »
I'd like to see what version of DX and what version of the Detonators all you folks with nVidia cards are running.

I'm sure HT is working hard to find this one, so lets just put as much info in here as we can.

kkierste,  That CPU is your problem certainly.  Any additional strain, such as from AH Voice, is bound to crush that K chip.  Those things have really really crappy FPU units and AH relies heavily on FPU performance.