Author Topic: People are leaving the game  (Read 1505 times)

Offline kkierste

• Zinc Member
People are leaving the game
« on: March 18, 2002, 08:22:29 AM »
Since 1.09 has come people have been dropping like flies.  What will be done to address fps issues?  Two people in my squadron already running for the hills, waiting for relief.  Anybody else know people who are giving up on this version?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 08:36:34 AM »
So, the 400+ in the MA, the 40+ in the CT arena, and the 20 odd few in the TA is an indication of folks dropping like flies?

I can remember having 100 online as being a big event...not very long ago.

(Incidently, historically when a new release comes out, you'll see patches later on where Pyro or HT says "We found a bug that may have been affecting FPS"...so just be patient)

Offline nilsen8

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.alpinsiden.com
i have to leave too
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 09:18:59 AM »
i also have to leave AH after 1.09 pach 1.. before pach 1 everything worked fine (except for the known bugs)

several fo my squadmates (332viking) have to leave too, or they are having serious problems with fps

to bad

loved the game

:(

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 09:32:59 AM »
Give them time.
HTC has shown it's serious about customer service. Lots of people have complained about FPS, I'm one of them.
109 has only been out a few days, most of that was a weekend. We've already had one patch. I'm sure more are coming. Frame rates might never be as good as they were pre-109, but they'll probably get better. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2002, 11:33:55 AM »
Well, I have seen a FEW folks post in here about framerate issues that I tried to help out.  A few.  Personally, I gained about 5-10 fps on my Voodoo 5 5500 running 1024x768 32 Bit 2xFSAA.  I've heard others state that they lost framerate, but usually on nVidia cards.

If you are having framerate problems, you need to post ALL the details of your system and the settings you run in a message here.  Do that, and myself and others may be able to help.  If you just quit without giving anyone a shot to find the problem or help you out.... well that's your problem.

Offline awcajnn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 01:01:03 PM »
With all due respect Sir, if the only thing that changed was the program the user is running, why would the problem be on the user’s end?

I know I am running on the low side of the requirements, however I worked and tweaked to go from 10fps to 30fps pre-109. I downloaded the new version (full download because my sys wont auto update AH  without locking up) and could not stay connected. I went through my system upgrading and re-installing video driver, DX, DeFrag, etc… and still lost  5/10 fps with this new patch! Since 109.1 I have not been discoed not sure if that was my fault or the game.

350mhz PII
went from 64 Mg RAM to 128x3 Mg Ram
went from ATI Lt Pro AGP to ATI 7500 AGP
went from 5 – 10 fps to 20 – 30 fps  pre-109
went from 20 – 30 fps to 10 – 20 fps with Version 109!

Losing fps is a problem with the upgrade, could be to much for our meak machines
:mad:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2002, 01:10:24 PM by awcajnn »

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2002, 01:18:09 PM »
Originally posted by awcajnn
With all due respect Sir, if the only thing that changed was the program the user is running, why would the problem be on the user’s end?

I know I am running on the low side of the requirements, however I worked and tweaked to go from 10fps to 30fps pre-109. I downloaded the new version (full download because my sys wont auto update AH  without locking up) and could not stay connected. I went through my system upgrading and re-installing video driver, DX, DeFrag, etc… and still lost  5/10 fps with this new patch! Since 109.1 I have not been discoed not sure if that was my fault or the game.

350mhz PII
went from 64 Mg RAM to 128x3 Mg Ram
went from ATI Lt Pro AGP to ATI 7500 AGP
went from 5 – 10 fps to 20 – 30 fps  pre-109
went from 20 – 30 fps to 10 – 20 fps with Version 109!

Losing fps is a problem with the upgrade, could be to much for our meak machines
:mad:

Geez, a Pentium II 350Mhz... How about getting a new CPU first before you start complaining about bad games? Try playing IL-2 on that system and see what a great game that is...

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2002, 01:36:33 PM »
Originally posted by awcajnn
Actually, Cajnn, I also had framerate problems after the 1.09 update and was also thinking it could not possibly be my fault - turned out it was!  :eek:  I was running the separate, stand-alone version of AHVoice while being logged in the game with the integrated version.... I got a clue eventually after experiencing lots of echoing!  In my case, all I needed to do was close down the separate AHVoice and my framerates returned to normal.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Lars

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2002, 01:56:22 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
Well, I have seen a FEW folks post in here about framerate issues that I tried to help out.  A few.  Personally, I gained about 5-10 fps on my Voodoo 5 5500 running 1024x768 32 Bit 2xFSAA.  I've heard others state that they lost framerate, but usually on nVidia cards.

I had to reformat my boot drive because the regestry got hosed from a corrupted AH D/L...at least that's what I think happened. After the reformatting of both my AH partition and boot partition and reloading both AH and Win98 my frame rate got 15%-20% better. I bet some people that are complaining about poor framerates are running AH on a machines that are well overdue for a reformat. My machine had a year old OS load and has gone through many patches for AH as well as lots of experimenting with Detonator drivers. So, bottom line is, and I firmly belive in this, that the Windows OS needs to start fresh every 8 months to a year depending on how much BS is installed and uninstalled.

Lars
« Last Edit: March 18, 2002, 01:59:28 PM by Lars »

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2002, 02:08:05 PM »
in short:

HT, stop improving your game, because  I am unwilling to upgrade my machine!!!

hmmph.  Isn't that more than a little rediculous.  I understand the costs involved, and I am not a rich man, but I upgrade my machine as necessary to play the games I enjoy.

F.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2002, 03:22:49 PM »
Originally posted by Lars

I bet some people that are complaining about poor framerates are running AH on a machines that are well overdue for a reformat.

Lars

Never assume because you'll always make an...well, you know the rest.

Ever since the 1.09 update, I've been one of those that took a serious frame rate hit in the MA.  I've lost 20-25fps and nothing has changed on my system to reflect such a dramatic loss of fps and I'm not running this game on a bare minimum spec computer.  By going from previous experience with updates in AH, I'm sure that HiTech and flock will find the reason why a lot of us are having this problem and fix it, hopefully in the next patch.  Personally, I think it's the built in vox program that's causing the loss of fps and I think giving us an option of disabling it might go a long way in solving the problem.

system specs.
1.2Ghz AMD Duron
384megs RAM
GeForce 2 GTS 32meg
Detonator 4 27.70 drivers
DirectX 8.1

Don't even bother saying it's the beta drivers because it isn't.  Prior to 1.09, using the 27.70 drivers, my fps were in the 55-65 fps range, even on deck in furballs over smoking bases.  This revision is far more stable than the official 23.11 release.

Ack-Ack

Offline Lars

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2002, 03:47:54 PM »
Just my experience Ack-Ack. I was using the 23.11 drivers with ok performance. I had tried lots of different Det drivers, using the Det Destroyer for each install, but I got a sizeable boost in frame rates with the OS, and vid driver re-install. It may not be a popular solution but a fresh OS install would help a lot of people experiencing problems IMO.

It would be interesting to see how long most people here have had the same OS load on their machines and what, if any, frame rate hits the older installs vs. the newer installs are experiencing.

This is exactly the reason I have a small, 2gig, boot partition as well as a 1.8gig AH partition. Makes for easy reformatting and with the use of Nortons Ghost, an OS reload takes only a few minutes :D

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2002, 06:50:04 PM »
yep, cant say enough about reformatting.  You got a problem, I bet that will fix it.

It is a pain, but you will be happier.

We have a couple in my squad with problems too, but I am trying to guide them through it.  

btw, I was at 100fps before the update, and I am at 100fps after the update.

I also have a slower computer at work, 800mhz with and old nvidia viper 32card.  It was running at 35 before the update, and now it is at 35.  

How many aol messengers have been installed on your old puter????

Offline kkierste

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2002, 07:07:34 PM »
So sue me for using the term "dropping like flies," whilst ignoring the point that players that had been enjoying the game are now quitting the game.  Many I'm sure have tried all the fixes.

I've worked IT for 9years and I did reformat.  Sure I have an older processor (AMD K6-2 300) but the game ran fine before, and in a very odd note, other 3d resource hogging games are still running at 40-60fps on this machine.  But not AH.

AH is the only online game I have had fps issues with.  The only one.  Think of a setting--I've changed it twice.  Latest det drivers, reformat, msconfig to ease background apps, virtual mem. allocation, on and on, and I have 196MB of ram and the 32MB 2x AGP Elsa Erazor x, and after the format (which gained me nothing and lost me 12 hours of retweaking) I even downloaded the GeForce Tweak Utility....all kinds of changes, read all the tips, read all the posts, blah blah blah... Updated the via 4in1 drivers, This is just rambling now; I've come to the bottom of the tweak bin.  Resolution, refresh rates, color depth, dx 8.1, etc. etc. nothing is helping...

I get 4-10fps (sometimes less when in action) down from 20-30 pre109.  

Doesn't matter really; I'll have a new system soon.  Maybe the new fsb speed will make the difference...or the 4x vs 2x agp, or the ddr sdr vs sdr...

But should one have to buy new?  Is it my "fault" that the update took my machine from a medium walk to a slow crawl?  

OR...is there some improvement to be made...and just because you see 410 people in MA or whatever, doesn't mean they'll be staying...

I'm patient; I'll wait around for patch/new system, but the attitude in the remarks is unwelcome.  Was merely suggesting solution.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2002, 07:09:13 PM »
Originally posted by Lars
Just my experience Ack-Ack. I was using the 23.11 drivers with ok performance. I had tried lots of different Det drivers, using the Det Destroyer for each install, but I got a sizeable boost in frame rates with the OS, and vid driver re-install. It may not be a popular solution but a fresh OS install would help a lot of people experiencing problems IMO.

It would be interesting to see how long most people here have had the same OS load on their machines and what, if any, frame rate hits the older installs vs. the newer installs are experiencing.

This is exactly the reason I have a small, 2gig, boot partition as well as a 1.8gig AH partition. Makes for easy reformatting and with the use of Nortons Ghost, an OS reload takes only a few minutes :D

I think my problem may be because I'm forced to use the onboard sound on my motherboard.  Onboard sound sucks up resources anyway and vox just makes it worse.  Don't have this problem with RW or GV though, so maybe it's not the onboard sound after all.  As for system bottlenecks, this system is barely a month old and pretty much optimized for gaming and no bottlenecks have been detected.

ack-ack