Author Topic: Dear Desktop Generals  (Read 297 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« on: March 19, 2002, 02:12:41 PM »
For some reason, the "Slim Shady" song comes to mine (the Christine Auguilerra remix)... "Please Shut Up" over and over again.

I don't know how it is on the other sides lately, but for me, on the Knights, Mr ZeroPing is awful upset lately if we do not click our heels and heed his directions.

And I'm not picking on Zero, because there are others from time to time.

Cooperation is certainly an option in the Arena.  But recall paying players are there, playing as they want.  Like it or not, that's how it is.  So, when the war isn't going your way, and you are upset that others do not see the battle as you should....bite your tongue, or pry the "/" off the keyboard  ;)

Mmmkay?

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 02:21:40 PM »
I think it's a rule of MA.

rule #324

Must have guy repeat "WE'RE GOING TO LOSE BASE A36!"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2002, 02:35:39 PM »
Reply on Vox..."When YOU start making my monthly payment to HTC for me, I'll cooperate to the best of my ability"  :)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 03:05:38 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Reply on Vox..."When YOU start making my monthly payment to HTC for me, I'll cooperate to the best of my ability"  :)

But thats not true..I would ignore them even if they paid for me...
Myself, I just chuckle and squelch and remember when I had that particular disease...It is so nice not to care about A36 anymore!

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2002, 03:50:23 PM »
Ya, I'm finally landing 15 perks minimum per sortie. So what if we don't get the reset. I just wanna fly my spit.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2002, 03:59:26 PM »
Originally posted by FDisk
Ya, I'm finally landing 15 perks minimum per sortie. So what if we don't get the reset. I just wanna fly my spit.

Two bad news for you FD. First, I heard that Hell Inc. opened special branch office for AH players. Second, you will burn there for flying spit!!! :)

I will burn there too btw, I am sinnest of AH sinners, flew all uber planes of this game :rolleyes:

Fariz
« Last Edit: March 19, 2002, 04:01:44 PM by Fariz »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2002, 04:20:55 PM »
The word "ironic" comes to mind.

My memory might be off, but I seem to remember when during your early days BD5, you kinda played the General role pretty often.  ;)

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2002, 04:25:35 PM »
Don't ever recall being a General to the point some of these guys are, accusing guys who won't do as they bid as being bad players, etc etc

As I said, we all have days where cooperation would be nice to have.  But as of late, some of the folks being Desktop Generals have really crossed the line from being squelchable to downright jerks about it

As my favorite senators would say, "I have no recollection of that", Dago   :D

And if I did, I was never as bad as some of the fellas have been lately.

"Form your own opinion, let the audience decide"  Bill O'Reilly

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2002, 04:30:32 PM »
Since the perk for reset started I always told folks even if they get reset they have the potential to earn more perks defending then the guys on the side resetting.........

I used grab bases and such.hell at 1 time my squad of 3 guys had like 17 field captures a piece.............

The guys yelling from the tower "we need to defend base a36" crack me up..........

They could just up a few lancs and kill al the barracks along the front.........but they beetch all the time.......

last night during zps best general impersonation I typed in .wingman zp and didn't see his icon anywhere ( he coulda been gv or noe ) I flew for a bit got 12 kills no deaths and logged.....I didnt see his name in the kill msg'es at all.

Most of the time the desktop generals are just like that. 3 resets a day and they still think it means something to "win"..........

The good thing is tho its normally newer guys.......after a while they either discover what most of the rest have and play to have fun or they realize no one gives a fek and shuts up.

There are elements of fun in everything about ah but none of its real if ya get reset you aint going to a pow camp. you'll just up 5 min later and start it all over again..........except you may just be a little more pissed the next time it happens and switch countries a few ties till you see its the same evrywhere...........

Offline Elysian

• Nickel Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2002, 05:06:29 PM »
I think a lot of newbies go through a "keyboard napolean" phase that lasts about a month or two.  This phase usually starts a little bit after they get a hold on basic AH strat...  A flurry of brilliant strategic ideas flood the newbie brain along with delusions of reset "grandeur"...   Their teammates become a disorganized rabble, and themselves the self-appointed masters of ceremonies.

I know I went through this phase, organizing missions all the time, disregarding any respect for kill-ratios in order to bring down enemy AA for my team (ok, well I still do this, but now it's because I want to come back and vulch:)).

Once they see enough resets and get carpal tunnel from filling the buffer with "MISSION UP!", most realize they aren't having a good time, they start to wonder why they are stressing out about a video game.  In other words, they'll graduate to just having fun :).

It is annoying though, I hear ya on that one.  Oh, and BTW BD5, you were pretty bad back in the day :D.

cmorris

Offline ZeroPing

• Copper Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2002, 05:21:14 PM »
BD5 was once a "desktop general"? That explains enough for me...

I'm not to sure but wouldnt this be classified as a whine? From what I remmber BD you had a nice streek of whines going, was it 3 months in a row? Don't remmber and dont care to much. But man, BD5 was once a "desktop general" explains enough for me not to get mad......

Peace

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2002, 05:49:41 PM »
Elysian:

I think a lot of newbies go through a "keyboard napolean" phase that lasts about a month or two.

"Keyboard Napolean'??? :D  Cracked me up.  Though I have to admit that I resembled your remark at one time too!

Rude- I'd like to nominate Elysian's quote for your list of most pithy comments for the week! :)

Tango, XO
412th FS "Braunco Mustangs"
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2002, 05:52:21 PM »
Hmmm, damned if I don't have the same recollection Dago;)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2002, 08:09:19 PM »
Originally posted by ZeroPing
BD5 was once a "desktop general"? That explains enough for me...

I'm not to sure but wouldnt this be classified as a whine? From what I remmber BD you had a nice streek of whines going, was it 3 months in a row? Don't remmber and dont care to much. But man, BD5 was once a "desktop general" explains enough for me not to get mad......

Peace

Unlike you, when told we're being a Desktop General, we do not respond "Well someone has to do it".  You do not need to at all.

And, when told to knock it off or when one politely declines your orders, I never went into a rant insulting fellow players.  There's a vast difference between what you've been doing versus anything I've ever been accused of, Zero.

Aztec, I see you're from Maine.  Weren't you begging for PC parts way back when?  I recall you needed a video card but never heard back from you, as I had retired a older Voodoo 3.  I assumes all is well?

Offline ZeroPing

• Copper Member
Dear Desktop Generals
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2002, 09:34:55 PM »
I don't remmber any one telling me to knock it off. Ever heard of squelch? I don't TELL people to do something, I say A30 is underattack help please bla bla bla... i dont go GET OVER HERE NOW OR ELSE WE WILL BE RESET!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have seen so many people do THAT, but i dont seem to do that(mabye once when im high...) i ask for some help and when we are about to lose it I say we lost the base.
Who cares? I care for about 15 sec. then move on. I don't understand why you make a big deal when you once were a "desktop general" As you said its my 14.99 I can do what ever I want to do with it. Well there you go. I do what I want and you can do what you want. If u dont squelch my i will be HAPPY to squelch you.
I apologize if you dont accept it then WHATEVA. personly BD u should use the word SQUELCH more often. becuase I know i sure as hell will. BTW lets grow up (all of us?) and stop fighting on the INTERNET

Peace