Author Topic: AH Flight Manual  (Read 105 times)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
AH Flight Manual
« on: March 20, 2002, 05:23:29 PM »
I wrote HTC today to see if I could get a copy of the raw data for the help file so I can put together a (relativly) comprehensive reference book.  The answer, not surprisingly, was no.

So, not being one to take no as an answer, I'm going to build one anyway.  My old Navy habits are haunting me; I like having the NAVAIRs on hand.

If anyone has, or knows, of a good source of AH related information (such as the Weapons Performance page mentioned below) I'd greatly appreciate the links so I can ask the authors for permission to include their research.  

Ultimatly this project will probibly end up in .pdf format so it can be printed for quick reference.  Last night I was trying to land a B17 for the first time and greatly missed the kneeboard with all the right information.  I managed a feather-soft touchdown anyway (pity it was 200 feet to the left of the runway), but I want those dratted NAVAIR manuals...  :)
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
AH Flight Manual
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 07:18:35 PM »
In Falcon 4.0 there was much discussion and maybe even hard data on the aircraft released for the players to study, namely optimal corner speeds for various aircraft. It may be information available in AH, although I have either choose to be ignorant enough to not find it, or can’t remember.

That’s why I like the Dora. Go fast as you can, and Zoom. If that don’t work run. I simply lose in turn fights because players either know the corner speeds or exploit me not knowing in the Spit class TnBer’s when I try flying them as such. I usually just BnZ them. I have learned from F4 though, that speed in a turn fight is bad at times, it’s where less can be better.

I whined about this before, and don’t remember the result. I think the consensus was to be a test pilot on your own time before combat, and I don’t have the patience for that. There are climb charts available in case you want to run away and grab the most altitude at the best speed. Dunno, never understood them fully. Why all the secrecy for most stuff?  You’d have to send another e-mail Im guessing.

I’m of the school where a motivated user like yourself might post hard hints/stats that says, “In a Spit, the optimum corner speed is 200 +/- 5 kts.” That’s easy to remember, and I bet in WWII they figured it out and told pilots before sending them up. Something like that, and when merging in a dogfight, try and achieve the parameters to win.

They call it ACM? I read Shaw’s fighter combat and he talks about it all the time, but I usually ended up perplexed and then reading the shampoo bottle and finishing up business and getting out of the bathroom.

Good luck, you’ll need it.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
AH Flight Manual
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 07:36:36 PM »
Well, the problem with aircraft performance charts in a sim is simple.  I can spend the next three months flying profiles, collecing data for each aircraft under optimum conditions and generate pretty performance charts, then HiTech will tweak one #DEFINE in an include file and it all goes in the wastebasket.

As for all the performance being a secret, I can think of two sides to that one.  In the "real world" ac performance is one of those things you try, generally with little success, to keep secret.  Not letting the other guy know what your ship can do is a good way to get an edge.  In a sim, where everyone can fly everything this is less of an issue since I can take a hop and go find out what the curves look like.  There may be some deep seated belief in the office in Grapevine that says publishing the charts will give anal people like me an unfair advantage.  Personally I think I can die just as fast either way.

Of course if Pyro wanted to had over the algorythm they built to model performance I'd probibly have some pretty closely guarded proprietary information; that's the guts of the flight model that makes AH more "realistic" than all those competing sims.  It's also is the core of those very same performance curves.  I can see where they'd want to keep that information pretty close.

All this doesn't stop me from collecting all kinds of other useful information, however, such as optimum course headings for taking out targets with the smallest number of passes, dispersion patterns, optimum T/O and landing speeds...there's a host of GoodThingsToKnow(tm) that I haven't seen in one place yet.

I'm an IT manager/network admin, which means I do two things at work:  torment lusers and goof off.  Since I really shouldn't fly in the office I can do the paperwork...  :cool:
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
AH Flight Manual
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 08:06:28 PM »
Well you could start from Here.
BTW I believe Leon "Badboy" Smith has done some researchs about planes in AH, different performance charts, roll-rate charts, flight envelope charts etc.  Well someone did and I believe it was "Badboy" :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2002, 08:12:06 PM by Staga »

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
AH Flight Manual
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 08:16:04 PM »
One of the threads is Here.