Author Topic: Windows XP access to Aces High and Net  (Read 293 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Windows XP access to Aces High and Net
« on: March 19, 2002, 07:02:02 PM »
Hi fellas,
Well I got the windows xp pro on my computer and I cant seem to connect to the net.  I can use aol on it to get to the message boards but some websites I cant access at all via explorer.  Is this a firewall problem....Brand new Dell...brand new to XP...please help I am going through withdrawls.

Mike:confused:

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 07:30:55 PM »
Ok,
The aol that is on this new Dell allows me access to the net and to all the websites....how come my internet explorer does not allow access?  Also my AH connection wont go at all even though aol can get access to the net.... Is there something in xp that is dorked up....my laptop running win ME is doing just fine...I checked....This system is BRAND SPANKING new...right out of the box 2  hours ago....gotta be an operator error...PLEASE HELP.

Mike

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 07:12:34 AM »
Glad to see you got your new Dell.

Urgh... AOHell.  I have no idea what evil the AOL install may do.

Go to http://www.pingplotter.com and download their product.  Use ping plotter to run some traces to tpl.hitechcreations.com (the main arena) and see what happens.

Also, XP comes with a firewall I believe.  I don't have XP so I can't talk you through it, but look in your control panel for settings for XP's firewall.  If you can find it, try disabling that and trying AH.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 07:53:28 AM »
AOL uses its own TCP/IP stack, which may cause some problems with XP's firewall.  I am not sure on this, as I will not put AOL on any computer due to the number of system dll's it replaces.

Does AOL claim the latest version of thier software to be XP compatible?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 09:11:44 AM »
i've had several problems with xp and the internet. i've found out that when it comes to connection i unfortunatley am to blame. ive downloaded several programs and then to my dismay find that the are NOT xp compatable, doh, i guess i need to read before downloading, any how after unistalling them primarily fire walls, internet werks fine anywho my 2 cents:)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2002, 10:21:07 AM »
:D

Gents.....I have figured out the problem...After at least 6 hours with Dell and Comcast both saying it is one or the other....being able to get online with my laptop that is 6 inches away...knowing full well AH was up and running (Phone call from BR)....WE GOTS US A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!

I am not an internet genius or an XP wizard but here is what happened.  My Dell Desktop 4400 2.0 Gig...blah blah....somehow had an IP address that was, according to ComCast Cable, "outside of the realm of the internet".  Its address ended like this.....

xx.xx.xxx.255

They say that IP addresses cant go above .254

I am not sure....well anyhow I went to the laptop and winipcfg'd it and discovered that it had a different IP address...NOTE:  all I am doing is swapping the Cable modem cable between computers.  I am letting it power down and clearing the MAC? addresses out of it.

I then typed all the information from the laptop to the desktop under network connections by disconnecting the "gain IP address automatically" and the same dns thing below.

I guess this forced the puter into using those "working" IP addresses.  I will however have to go back to the automatic settings once comcast changes the IP/DNS information.  They change it every few days to ensure guys arent running static IP addresses...I guess for servers etc...who knows.

Long and short...Im up and running!  And now I know about XP and can fix the problem if I need to in the future.

THANKS SO MUCH for the help.

Mike

PS sorry to have been so "Frustrated"  online last night on channel one trying to get some help.  SKurj sometimes I wish you were next to my machine to fix the sucker...LOL....

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2002, 11:53:10 AM »
You shouldn't be manually typing IP addresses into XP anyway.  I would expect your XP computer to simply use DHCP to automatically get configured properly when it boots while connected to your ISP.  Were you told to use a manual IP address?  Have you tried telling your XP box to automatically get it's own IP information?

Let me know what's happening here... but it sounds like a simple mis-configuration.

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2002, 11:55:49 AM »
try this instead of manual ,under control panel network connections go to your connect and click on repair, it should seek out ip addy automatically