Author Topic: Labrador Retriever  (Read 1095 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« on: March 27, 2002, 08:57:47 PM »
There is one available at our local shelter. Black, Male, Slightly overweight, sweet disposition....3 yrs old, I'm caving...someone talk me out of it. I love Labs!!!

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 09:56:55 PM »
Get it before someone puts the poor guy down!

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 10:04:13 PM »
watch his behaviour first.

i would love a Bull Terrier, but they are very expensive and hard to find in shelters.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 10:11:28 PM »
Sounds like he already picked you out, Tahgut. :D

I had a mixed black lab for 17 years. He had a very friendly personality. Very smart. Very, very good bird dog - hunting pheasants.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 10:11:42 PM »
Ew, Bull Terrier. My grandparents had one of them and it attacked things for no good reason, especially other animals. My father hit it on the head with a bat once when it lunged at him. Good times.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 10:29:47 PM »
Anyone with a Lab, how do they get along with other dogs?

I have a Female mutt that may be very jealous.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 10:47:12 PM »
Mine was happy and playful with females, but he fought many male dogs that we encountered ... I don't know why. He was a digger too.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 11:09:55 PM »
My female Lab-Golden mix is very territorial,and doesn't get along well with other females...but seems to have no problem at all with males.

I'm sure your mutt will try to establish that she is boss,after all she has tenure....but it should be ok.

You may as well stop wasting time,and go pick him up.We both know you've already made up your mind.;)

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2002, 11:15:09 PM »
i have lab/rotty mixes, they are the most loving things in the world. The boy is a spoiled daddy's boy, and the girl is the little trouble maker...but they are the friendliest things on the planet. All they wanna do is play and make friends.....

a labs temperment and personality are among the best for a pet.

take that mutt home!

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2002, 11:19:59 PM »
Labs are fantastic dogs!  Now go get that dog before I steal it from you  :D

Offline Jenga

• Zinc Member
Go Fetch!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2002, 06:05:02 AM »
Brad, aged 5 (borrowed over Christmas)

Loves: Eating, footballs, dogs, people
Hates: Cats, being told off or ignored

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2002, 06:32:09 AM »
Oh not that damn dog that shed hair everywhere and crapped all over the car park.....and tried to shag my sofa.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2002, 07:06:10 AM »
Midnight T,

I breed Labs. Pretty much goes without saying that I love the breed and most of the individuals in it.

That being said, be aware there's been a lot of indiscriminate breeding going on. This can result in a dog that is totally "non-typical" with respect to "standard" breed characteristics. IE, while generally the Lab population is considered a gentle, loving breed, you can get a mean one.

Find out why the dog is in the shelter. If put there by previous owners, call them up and ask them WHY he's in there. Sometimes its as simple as they were moving and couldn't find him a home. Other times it can be because he bit the crap out of their kids or something.

Try to find out whatever you can first. Second, tell the Shelter you'll take him and love him on a two week trial. Then be realistic in the two weeks. If he has faults admit it and decide if you can still live with that fault 3 years from now.

Good luck to you. Rescue him if you can. A good Lab is a marvelous friend and companion.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2002, 07:08:17 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The Gang
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2002, 07:29:49 AM »
The Chocolate is the foundation of the breeding program. 10 years old. Out of French Championship lines, he points pheasant as well as a Shorthair. Also holds the title of "World's Happiest Lab"; he'll brighten your day every day.

The 12 year old female center is my second lab. She had hip dysplasia so we never bred her. A gentle dog and a good hunter. Companion to my sons as they grew.

Young son of the chocolate and a squeak out of the '95 Irish Field Trial Champion. Points as well as his dad, nose is even better in range. Another Happy Lab. Big plans for him in the breeding program.

I'm partners with a very good friend in this endeavor. He's a Vet. Good thing, because we own two females together and he's kept 3 of our line so far!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2002, 11:19:11 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2002, 09:55:46 AM »
Toad just earned 10 Santa Points.

Labs are the best :).

My brother has two labs. Both qualified as rescue dogs, and they work as that too. Earth quakes - they're there. Someone lost in the woods - they're there.

They'll go from all play to totally focused on the job at hand in a flash.

Mentally, they're about the most stable of breeds. I haven't known a neurotic lab.

The labs we've had have always gotten along fine with other dogs, so shouldn't be a problem.

Follow Toad's advice, that's some good stuff there.

You can't go wrong with a lab is my basic feeling :).