Author Topic: Labrador Retriever  (Read 1094 times)

Offline UserName

• Copper Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2002, 11:13:13 AM »
I'd have to agree with what Toad said. Lab's are great, but you should find out why the dog is there, in case there could be any behavioral problems.

I have a female lab/husky mix, the most undog dog I have seen. She has not gotten into fights, she does not bite even when little kids are poking/grabbing/dragging her. She does not chase after cats (doesn't give a toejam about them), but will go ape over a squirrel. She is very smart, but whenever she sees food, she will go totally stupid. Must have been how I trained her ;)

I couldn't think of not having her, she's added so much to my life. Coming home from a toejamty day at work, tired as hell, and having her greet me is so uplifting.

I don't know if you've had dogs before Target, if not, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you have, then I guess you know what to expect :)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2002, 11:23:50 AM »
Labs are sweet....my dog goes to "Doggy Day Care" twice a week and plays with 2 labs and is best buds with a beagle.  Yea, day care sounds silly, but for $10 a day, she gets to socialize and play with other dogs.  When I bring Chloe home, she's wiped from playing all day and after she chows down supper, is pretty much asleep for the rest of the day  :)

Best thing I ever did was get a dog.  Mine is an Australian Cattle Dog, very very smart, loving and loves herding the cats along (got 4 cats).  The backyard is now a minefield, but you can't but a pricetag on that big smile-tail-wagging look when you come home from work  ;)

(Shameless picture of my Chloe crashing out on the bed after a day of daycare....)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2002, 03:51:09 PM by LePaul »

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2002, 11:43:04 AM »
I suspect midnight Target hasn't responded to this post since last night because he is otw to the shelter....   ;)

Offline UserName

• Copper Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2002, 12:32:35 PM »
Originally posted by Sox62
I suspect midnight Target hasn't responded to this post since last night because he is otw to the shelter....   ;)

Or he picked up the dog, and found out that the dog is infact Cojo reincarnated, and he's currently hiding in his closet :eek:

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2002, 12:38:48 PM »
awesome breed overall.. though they do like to chew...

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2002, 12:50:40 PM »
Red Shar-Pei's are better. :)
-SW

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2002, 01:01:57 PM »
You are all wrong..Pugs are the way to go.  Here's my co-pilot Chuck.

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2002, 02:39:42 PM »
Nice doggies there.
Me and my wife first thought to get labrador retriver, but figured out that it's so common dog here in finland and it can grow quite big too, so we ended up the "Toller", Novascotian Duck Tolling Retriever. His name is "Nova" (I, myself and me figured out this imaginary name, go figure :D) and is now 1 year and 4 days of age. As all male dogs, Nova ain't exception, he has very strong "own mind". He's also lacking fear of other dogs, challenging even Great Danes (sp?) LOL! We have lots of dogs where I live (over 60 dogs within less than 1 square kilometer area!). Here's few images:

This picture was taken during last Christmas Eve, what a perfect wheather for Christmas; -10°C temperature and sun was shining from clear sky, oh boy!

"1 year old male toller is seeking for company..."

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2002, 03:32:02 PM »
OTW to the Shelter now...I do work sometimes.:)

He is obvoiusly a pure bred Lab, good with kids and like I said kind of fat. He probably didnt get enough excersize, but a sweet disposition. i'll post a pick if all works as planned.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2002, 04:20:05 PM »
Well, I did it, pick up "Bradley" tomorrow after his (shhhhh operation). The way it works here is you have to pay for the neuter no matter what. There is a 15 day trial period, but the vet bill stays. I will post a pic or 2 this weekend. He's gonna love my pool :D .

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2002, 05:00:27 PM »
Well, very best of luck to you and Bradley.

As far as overweight... it's easy to fix. Feed him a quality food and totally ignore the "feeding guidelines" on the back of the bag. They don't need anywhere near that much food if they are housedogs. There is a constant fight in my house to keep the Chocolate on his weight. My wife spoils the heck out of him with too much chow and too many treats. She points to the back of the bag. My vet buddy and I tell her those folks are trying to sell lots of dog food.

My partner the Vet has a simple system for overweight Labs. He feeds Eukanuba and he gives each male dog one large plastic 32 oz "Coke" cup from McDonald's per day. That's IT.  The dog gets walked in the morning and evening, at least a mile, on the days he's not training. (He's a busy vet.)

When you can look down on your standing dog and see a "waist" between the end of his ribcage and his hip bones... a definite narrowing of the body...  AND when you look at him from the side when he's standing you can see the indentations between his last 3-4 ribs in the rib cage (the short ribs)... He is weighing what he should weigh.

You may now very slowly increase the amount of dog food until you find the amount that holds that look. Start by adding about 1/2 a cup per week and don't be in a rush.

You'll have him quickly "on weight" if you do this. It won't take you more than a few weeks if he's already close. It isn't that tough on the dog, either.. but he'll try to make you think it is.  ;)

Note: When we're working the dogs hard like during actual hunting trips or when we're training hard they pretty much eat as much as they like. We just fill the bowl and leave it out that way. Working dogs burn calories incredibly fast. They eat what they need and sleep a lot more during times like that.

As I said, good luck!

BTW, best "collar" I've found so far for controlling a dog on a lead is the Halti. Looks funny and it takes them a while to get used to it but it is very, very humane, using the dog's natural tendencies to give you control. I used slip chains for years... threw them all away this past Fall. Instructions come with the Halti; even little kids can control big dogs using those things. Petsmart has them @ $13. A steal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2002, 05:23:45 PM »
im so glad you like pugs sunking.:D

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2002, 06:02:07 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Well, I did it, pick up "Bradley" tomorrow after his (shhhhh operation). The way it works here is you have to pay for the neuter no matter what. There is a 15 day trial period, but the vet bill stays. I will post a pic or 2 this weekend. He's gonna love my pool :D .

Good for you MT!! I've had lots of dogs, but a lab mix I had years ago is among my all-time favorites. Smart dog, loyal and will protect you on neighborhood walks a hell of a lot better than carrying a concealed weapon will.

Toad, I was under the impression Labs were jump dogs, not pointers. As an avid pheasant hunter I always felt like I had to put up with the stupidity of a Shorthair or a Brittany to have a decent field dog, and after having both a German Shorthair and a Brittany Spaniel I've all but given up on a combination companion/hunting dog, and frankly I don't have the heart to use a shock collar on a dog, so I've never had much success with pointers. Every Lab I've ever seen has been a jump dog, not a pointer.

My companion dog now is a 7 yr old Queensland  Heeler I've had since she was 6 weeks, and she's smart, loyal and loves to work cows. Only problem with Queenslands is they tend to be nippers, especially kids. She's zapped the mailman a couple of times, and he's tried to sue me for injuries even when all he got was a slight indentation on his calf. I told him I don't like mailmen any more than my dog does, and he's lucky I don't bite him. Now I have to pick up my mail at the post office.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2002, 11:49:00 PM »
I never have posted here but LAB's are the best breed in my opinion...I have had a yellow lab "alex" for 8.5 years now.

We love him ...he sleeps with us...goes on vacation with us....travelled with us to Okinawa when I got stationed over there...traveled back here to New Mexico when I got stationed here 3 months ago....

They have tons of emotion and personality....one thing though...they need human contact and affection...if anyone is considering getting one realize that they will be a part of your "pack" and should be treated as a member of the family...

We love our lab and hopefully he will live forever.....

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2002, 01:02:47 AM »
labs are great. here's mine. coaco.