Author Topic: Labrador Retriever  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2002, 08:24:12 PM »
Oh yes and to add to what someone said on genes said chocalate jean they think their are genes that cause sight and hearing defect in chocolates also chocolates tend to be stupider from what i hear.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2002, 08:50:49 PM »
I love labs, but they need discipline. They love to chew anything, including your hands. A friend of mine has this beautiful black lab pup, it could win competitions just by beauty, but its extremely hyperactive.

This is what I'm getting:

So ugly they are cute. They play rough though, I am aware of that. Its also a very expensive breed :(

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2002, 10:18:35 PM »
Originally posted by Hobodog
Oh yes and to add to what someone said on genes said chocalate jean they think their are genes that cause sight and hearing defect in chocolates also chocolates tend to be stupider from what i hear.

Hobo,

I haven't hear anything about Chocolates being more prone to eye disorders than Blacks or Yellows. As far as I know, these disorders may occur irregardless of color. For a good discussion of dog eye disorders, particularly with respect to Labs, check this out:

Inherited Eye Disorders in the Labrador Retriever

I've heard nothing about hearing problems in any of the Labs.. unless you consider a hard-head that won't obey to be a "hearing" problem.  ;)

As far as chocolates being stupid as a rule... I'm not buying it now.

There was a time, maybe 25 years ago when I did hear that said about them and it might have been true. There were dang few chocolates as "working" dogs then and they did not have a good reputation overall.

However, there's been a lot of determined breeding of good Chocolates since then. Just check the web for Chocolate studs that have earned the top titles in the AKC and UKC hunting tests. There's a lot of Chocolates standing at stud that have achieved the highest levels in those hunt tests... and stupid dogs don't make it anywhere near that far.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2002, 11:49:37 PM »
animal that thing is uuuuuuuugly! :D  didnt patton have a bull-terrier type dog too?  (that is the name, right?)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2002, 07:53:56 AM »
Originally posted by Hobodog

Like Toad, I've never heard (sorry) of any hearing problems in Labradors. Deafness is mostly a problem in breeds with a lot of white, like Dalmatians.

Some veterinary ophthalmologists see (sorry again) more eye problems -- retinal dysplasia -- in field trial lines of Labs. In our area, chocolates are more common in field trial lines, but this varies a lot with different regions.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2002, 07:55:49 PM »
Heya LePaul, Here's Esa at 5. I had to rip off the pic from my wife's desk at work, and when I asked why she didn't have a pic of me on her desk she said I wasn't cute enough.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2002, 08:44:44 PM »
Toad I might be calling you as well. My son and I were just sitting here looking at all the pictures of the dogs. He has wanted a black or chocolate lab for a couple of years now. But living in a townhouse is kind of confining for a large dog. We are looking at some homes with larger backyards and that is the prerequisite for him getting a Lab. I will also be bringing my 7 year old English Springer Spaniel up from my parents house when we get this house.

BTW nice site for the Labs you put up there previously.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2002, 08:54:06 PM »
No Problem, Reschke.

My partner lives just South of Atlanta. Hunts a lot up at Guntersville. Probably not too bad of a trip for you.

Right now I have another friend with two 9-week black males out of one of our younger studs and an American Lab squeak from pretty decent trial lines. They're left out of a litter of 8. I know he wants to move those pretty quick. Says he's tired of scooping the pup residue! These would carry the yellow gene.

We should have another litter out of my Chocolate and the Irish squeak for sale around August. That's a repeat of Chief's breeding.

Anyway, let me know when you get ready.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2002, 09:08:59 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf
Heya LePaul, Here's Esa at 5. I had to rip off the pic from my wife's desk at work, and when I asked why she didn't have a pic of me on her desk she said I wasn't cute enough.

Kewt!

Top this for spoiled!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
LOL!
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2002, 09:14:22 PM »
There have been some GREAT pictures throughout this thread.

you all and the best to you and your "owners".

I like 'em all; I'm just kept by Labs. ;)

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2002, 10:34:04 AM »
LePaul, That IS spoiled. For some reason Esa's tail was bobbed by the breeders, but other than that they're almost identical. I had heard that the difference between Queenslands and ACDs is the tail bob, but I'm not sure.

It's funny how they share behaviors like splashing the water and biting at it. I wonder what other behaviors they share? If I throw my underwear on the floor instead of in the clothes hamper Esa will take them out to the back yard and bury them. Does your ACD do that?

My next dog is a yellow lab (I hope) as soon as I can break down my wife's will to say no. I have enough room for another dog, a pool for a Lab to swim in, and plenty of cats to chase. Sounds like Dog Heaven to me.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2002, 11:06:35 AM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf
LePaul, That IS spoiled. For some reason Esa's tail was bobbed by the breeders, but other than that they're almost identical. I had heard that the difference between Queenslands and ACDs is the tail bob, but I'm not sure.

It's funny how they share behaviors like splashing the water and biting at it. I wonder what other behaviors they share? If I throw my underwear on the floor instead of in the clothes hamper Esa will take them out to the back yard and bury them. Does your ACD do that?

My next dog is a yellow lab (I hope) as soon as I can break down my wife's will to say no. I have enough room for another dog, a pool for a Lab to swim in, and plenty of cats to chase. Sounds like Dog Heaven to me.

My girlfriend's previous ACD had a docked tail.  To me, I think they look better with the tail....you can really tell her mood with it.

As for things in common, well, she is very easy to teach to do tricks.  She can bark without voice (speak soft), sits up, lays down, rolls ever, barks angrily when I say Democrat and many other things.  She loves to chew the fuzz off tennis balls, or pop them in her mouth.  She has a big, hard plastic herding ball she just goes nuts for and herds all over the local schoolyard.

She doesnt do a thing to my underwear hehe

She likes to sleep by the door, so she helps keep the cold out ;)  Umm, what else...she loves her cats, and its funny to watch her herd them around.

She's very mellow about her food, if one of the cats is in her bowl, she is very passive about.  She's really not agressive in any way.  She loves the mailman, and he loves her....the only annoying trait Chloe has is she is a barker.  Put her in the car and she is a nervous ninny.  She loves it, she just cant control her excitement.

She knows many words....god forbid someone say "go" in my house.  We found hotdogs and one of those clickers work great in training her.

Finally, you can see her working things out in her mind we she noodles her head sideways....hehe....hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2002, 11:12:29 AM »
oooo! oooo!  Lookit my girl!

Your dogs are cute and all, but they don't hold candle to this supermodel!

McHann - summer of '99

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
Re: Another one
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2002, 11:14:39 AM »
Originally posted by Zaphod
Vicious ain't he? lol  My wife was afraid of em when I first got him.  She has since got used to him (obviously).

Wow! Can't blame your wife of fearing that dog. Sure has quite cruel look! You don't get much " ppl around you, do you? :D

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2002, 09:17:18 PM »
Elfen,

Showed the girls your dogs picture, just amazed how much they look alike.

Here's another  :)

Both of our ACDs have the double-mask!