Author Topic: Labrador Retriever  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2002, 10:29:01 PM »
looks like a fat, happy sausage :D
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2002, 02:34:41 PM »
LOL

Speaking of, how's that pup of yours doing?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Update
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2002, 04:53:42 PM »
Bradley took about 3 seconds to become part of the family. He loves walks (typical Lab-on-a-leash problems, but that will pass) He is so even-tempered it is amazing. Not phazed by other dogs or little kids or ....well, haven't introduced him to the cats quite yet. I tried to get him to jump in the pool this weekend, nothing doing. I think he's waiting for warmer weather. Sits next to me when I fly, or sit at the puter....great bud to have around.

Bradley eyeing the pool / big water dish.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
MT
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2002, 08:19:06 PM »
Trust on this one... as I mentioned before, get rid of the slip chain collar and put a Halti on him. End of the "lab on leash" problem in about 15 mintues. Very humane as well. You'll believe in miracles.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2002, 08:37:34 PM »
Cute lab. Its also nice you rescued him off the shelter instead of buying it from an expensive snubby breeder.

We should do an underground dog fight on the 2003 con.
My bull terrier will pwnz0r all those whiney dumb labs.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2002, 09:47:54 PM »
cc Toad, bought the Halti, but haven't used it for long. He hates it with a passion, and seems to be one of the escape artists mentioned in the directions. We're getting there though.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2002, 04:20:33 PM »
Have you tried the 'self training' collars (you know, the ones that look like some sort of medieval torture device, with the chain link 'teeth'?)  I've read some studies that they are much, much more humane than a regular collar, or a choke chain, and prevent long term damage in dogs that like to pull.  

I was skeptical, but I tried one out because the dog would pull so hard sometimes that she would get all wheezy from choking herself (on a normal collar).  Went to the self training collar, she tried to pull once, immediately stopped, and when she has it on now, she doesn't pull - she's not in any pain, isn't damaging herself like she was before, and walks are about 100x more enjoyable for me now too.

Offline maguire

• Zinc Member
HELP (labradors)
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2003, 11:50:38 PM »
:mad: I need some info about labrador puppies personality's. Like does the first born take on the role of being aggresive, or does the runt? Can anything in the early age determind the future personality of  the dog?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2003, 12:11:07 AM »
Yes, indeed.

Go here to get a rough idea of "puppy personality".

PUPPY APTITUDE TEST

And then go get a copy of "The Art of Raising A Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete.

"Art" from Amazon.com

You need to pick a pup that will suit YOUR personality and will be capable of doing what you want it to do. For example, a timid pup isn't going to be a Field Trial Champion in most instances. The boldest, most agressive pup in the litter may not be right for you if you have little kids right now.

The Monks book covers this pretty well, with more detail than most Retriever books. I do like

Retriever Training: A Back-To-Basics Approach

quite a bit as well. Milner is very good and he covers this topic lightly but with enough detail to help you out.

Good luck!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SLCR

• Copper Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2003, 01:29:18 AM »
My Chocolate Lab, Riley, is so far so good at 13 weeks.  Very loving, friendly and intelligent.  Right now he either eats like a horse, sleeps or is wound up like a top!

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2003, 01:50:41 AM »
Though she's no longer with me, she was the best danged dog I ever had.

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2003, 10:47:58 AM »
You guys are killing me!  ;)

My wife and I are looking to get an Aussie Shepard/Healer mix in the next few weeks.  It'll be her's and my step-daughter's dog.

Then, when we move into a house, I get my lab!  Can't wait.  I've hunted over springers, GSP's, and English setters, but I want a lab.  Most of my bird hunting is dove, so I need a retriever more than a pointer or flusher.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
My newest owner
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2003, 11:27:41 AM »
Meet Kate, the newest part-owner of the guy that works for three yellow labs.

She's been pretty easy on me so far.

Pure English lines, she was the reason for my recent trip to England. Betrothed to Chief, the yellow lab in the "pointing picture" upthread.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
6 months old, btw.
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2003, 11:29:53 AM »
Yes, she likes to retrieve.

;)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Labrador Retriever
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2003, 12:29:52 PM »
did someone mention Labs?