Author Topic: zeke doing a 22k swan dive and livin!!!???  (Read 365 times)

-towd_

zeke doing a 22k swan dive and livin!!!???
« on: May 29, 2000, 10:59:00 PM »
ran across this cactus air force comment thought you should check it out place you own value hehe

In Foss' first combat on October 13, he was jumped by a Zeke flown by Petty Officer 1st Class Kozaburo Yasui of the Tainan Kokutai. Foss later recalled: "That bird came by like a freight train and gave me a good sprinkling, but I knew I had him. I pulled up and gave him a short burst, and down he went." But while Foss was credited with the kill, Yasui in fact survived (he would bring his own score up to 11 before he was killed over Guam on June 19, 1944)--and his two wingmen, Petty Officer 2nd Class Nobutaka Yanami and Seaman 1st Class Tadashi Yoneda, bounced Foss. Their bullets hit his oil cooler, and his engine seized. "The only thing I could do to get out--I was right over the field--was to just wheel over and dive straight down," Foss recalled. He plunged from 22,000 feet right down to the deck. "I'd read that a Zero couldn't follow such a dive; its wings would come off trying to pull out. Well, whoever wrote that was a fiction writer because those boys just kept on my tail, pumping lead!" Anti-aircraft gunners cleared the Zekes from his tail, and Foss coasted in to a dead-stick crash landing.

so what is the take on this ? could it be true? what speed should a zeke loose wings?

is id alot different with different with different models?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2000, 12:15:00 AM »
its imposible in any plane in AH till we get prop drag
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2000, 03:20:00 AM »
Can someone explain what is prop drag?

funked

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2000, 07:21:00 AM »
Sancho, the props on these planes have a governor that tries to maintain a constant RPM.  If you throttle back, the prop will go to "fine pitch" where the blades present their widest-cross section to the air flowing over the plane.  This causes a substantial amount of drag.

I'm not sure how to calculate this drag, so I can't say whether Aces High is simulating it correctly or not.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2000, 10:30:00 AM »
From Tom Blackburn's "The Jolly Rogers".

"I was sure that I could easily bag the opposing fighter leader, so I left my wingmen behind and followed the Zeke down.  He violently twisted and turned as we screamed out of the heavens.  It was dogma that the Zeke's ailerons got unusually stiff at very high speeds, but I saw no evidence of that as the nimble fighter kept a step or two away from my gunsight pipper.  To the contrary, at my own high speed, my ailerons overbalanced and I needed to maintain a light but firm touch to avoid going into an uncontrollable wing roll.  I was making little progress catching up and I thought I might lose him altogether, so I fired a desperation burst from 500 yards.  My passing tracer, which was not concentrated enough at long range, caused him to execute an abrupt radical pullout from his dive; his wingtips were streaming water vapor as he pulled six gees or more.  I believe I was finally getting some rounds into him as I honked back hard to try to keep my pipper apace of the rapidly increasing deflection.  However, his tighter turning circle pulled him out of my sights despite my own gut-wrenching pullout.  He disappeared into the cloud, undoubtedly shaken but by no means defeated."

Blackburn later went on to attribute his problems to bogus plane modeling, rubber bullets, and an unidentified pilot who was obviously a cheater.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

funked

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2000, 10:33:00 AM »
LOL Pyro, nice quote and remark.

The key thing for players to realize on speed and gee limits for airplanes is that there is always a factor of safety.  Aerospace engineers, even ones who make fighter planes, are conservative types.  Generally everything is designed to sustain 1.5 times the "limit load" which is what the pilots are told to observe.  Exceeding the limit load should only cause failure if there is fatigue, corrosion, cracking, or other secondary factors.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
Blackburn also immediately ditched because his F4U was out of alt....  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »

Originally posted by Pyro:

Blackburn later went on to attribute his problems to bogus plane modeling, rubber bullets, and an unidentified pilot who was obviously a cheater.

ROFL!
hehhhee Pyro, nice one  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2000, 11:18:00 AM »
" Blackburn later went on to attribute his problems to bogus plane modeling, rubber bullets, and an unidentified pilot who was obviously a cheater."

lmao and pim_______ .... ruh roh!

still lol

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2000, 04:00:00 PM »

You see, situations such as this could have been easily avoided if just one person would have taken the time to generate a turn-rate/climb-rate/acceleration web-based database for each of the aircraft in WWII.

AKDejaVu