Author Topic: Bring back the element of surprise...  (Read 781 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Bring back the element of surprise...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2002, 01:04:46 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Suggestion...

If you blow up the radio hut the field Icon should stop flashing but go darker to indicate a total lack of communication with the outside.

- Seagoon

I like this idea.  It lets pilots logging in at other bases for the first time of the night know the current battlefield situation.  I like this idea a lot.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2002, 01:38:26 PM »
destroyable radio hut - yes or just tie it into the radar dish

Big air raid siren bullhorn hanging off the side which is able to be destroyed by ALL countries :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2002, 01:57:01 PM »
Yeah HT and company are doing  great, and for me, there are no buts :) But, then again, beauty is in the eye of whomever is looking at the time.
I personally dont give a horses patoot about the flashing fields, and about the only advantage to it is to alert a country that their field may or may not be under attack by one milkrunning sob or more. If the darbar is large, then that country should know there is probably a major attack coming in; if that country doesn't do anything about it, then they will likely lose the base.
Even if a field is flashing or not, it still doesn't tell you what alt the nme are at, what direction they are coming from, whether there are gooneys in the stream of nme; whether the nme are GVz or aircraft etc, etc.
And yes, you can still fly under 500 feet and not be detected, and for good measure I fly under 200 feet just to be sure. Still, if a field is alerted and nme cap is upping, the chances are good that a low flying a/c will eventually be discovered and get shot down. A sneak attack does NOT require that the nme become frozen with fear and not have an opportunity to respond.
There is always an element of chance to any attack, especially a low level sneak attack. Hell, do like some of the intrepid buffers do in the MA, come in all alone at 30k and drop your eggs, then skedaddle on out of there to safety :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2002, 02:18:15 PM by Don »

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2002, 02:13:02 PM »
Well I fly in the MA too and I am aware of the following:
-Dar Bar for AC under 500 feet. I do see them as they make a mistake and briefly pop up over 500 feet; that being pilot error.
-The fields flash even when an nme isn't even in the sector yet; I don't know how far away an nme a/c or GV has to be before it activates.
- I do see and hear:The annoying and cloying voice warning comes on even as I am enroute to an nme base:mad: ; there isn't an nme even near the base I took off from.
-There are no dar bars for nme a/c under 500 feet or 200 hundred feet.
- GVs can be seen from 100 to 1000 feet; its how I know they are there, a dar bar doesn't really do anything except to let you know there is an nme at the perimeter; consider them listening posts. I hear the sirens first; I check views for signs of nme a/c inbound. Fortunately, if the nme is close enough, the auto acks closest to the GV start shooting (badly I might add). I take off and make for the intruder.
I don't need to make it so everything is going my way, I play the game/sim and see how it turns out after giving it an honest effort. Try it, it may be fun :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2002, 02:22:11 PM by Don »

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2002, 01:48:50 PM »
> fly at or below 500ft agl and there is no bardar.  <

I tested this last night (squadie defected). In a C47, over the water, I made a darbar at ANY altitude.

With bardar, flashing fields and 400+ players in the arena, coordinated attacks by small (ie: squad-level) groups is no longer productive. Game progression has become quite predictable.

mullah

Offline wantok

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2002, 09:54:13 PM »
personally i think it would be great if bardar and flashing fields were only activated when enemies are actually visible from a field.... where 'field' means normal field buildings but also outlying gun positions, town, spawn points...

perhaps this would also warrant a new kind of object: an observation post.  owned by a field, each field could have up to (say) 3, up to (say) 7 miles from the tower.  destroyable of course :)

and, to extend the concept further, any enemy visible by a real player also triggers bardar.

so if you fly NOE to an undefended enemy field in mountainous terrain, you'll only raise an alarm when you come over the ridge; but approaching over the ocean you'll be seen a lot further off.

and it would be possible to fly right through an enemy sector without raising bardar if you avoid being seen from any field object/obs post.

i'm sure it would be possible (though it's all coding work, and there's already an enormous list of tasks i bet) to base the bardar and field flashing on true visibility, i.e. whether a player standing at a field object could see a dot.   ideally this should also be affected by night/cloud.
Madina ... AHWiki

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2002, 01:01:37 PM »
I also miss being able to surprise attack (as you can in some other games).  Would add greatly to fog of war if a mission could go long range and strike where not expected, say perhaps to capture a port.

A country short on numbers would have some options then, and the reset game could possibly become more interesting.

To that end I would wish for no radar bar indicator below radar operation altitude.  Still have proximity warnings however if an enemy gets too close to a base.  

First of all, has this already been tried?  If so why was it not continued?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2002, 01:04:00 PM by Turbot »

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2002, 08:52:08 PM »
Originally posted by popeye
Maybe set the air raid range a bit shorter (3 miles?) from dusk to dawn, and in The Rain Storm, to simulate reduced visibility.

Rain Storm????? AH has rain storms? (I havnt played in MA in a while btw so i dont know whats changed and all)???

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2002, 08:49:23 AM »
Originally posted by cajun

Rain Storm????? AH has rain storms? (I havnt played in MA in a while btw so i dont know whats changed and all)???

I would like to see higher winds at various low and high altitudes
that would be located respective to the storms...
Last nite in the MA 4/26/02  the winds were set at 35mph... That was really cool...  When you would hit the winds it would literally rock my P-38 back and forth...  Pretty realistic...

Thanks HiTech...

BOOT

Offline Kevin14

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2002, 06:23:17 PM »
What is a dar bar and what does IMO or IMHO mean?

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2002, 09:19:19 PM »
Kevin14------------->  What is a dar bar and what does IMO or IMHO mean?

Kevin14

Dar Bar is the radar Icon on the map...   Green or Red....
Green are the friendly planes in the sector and Red are the enemy planes in the sector...  A small bar indicates a small number of planes the long bar indicates many planes...

IMO = In My Opinion

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

Salute

BOOT

Offline Moose1

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2002, 07:39:11 AM »
I'll give you a perfect example of this and why I agree that the notification of "base under attack" should at least have its range shortened if the attackers aren't showing up on dar.

Last night, I'm stooging around in an La-7 near A18, after finishing off a B-17, when I see a very low dot far in the distance.  I check radar--nothing, no dot, no counters in the sector.  BUT, at that point, squeakin' Betty gives out with "base under attack!" and A18 starts flashing.

So I check it out.  After 2-3 minutes of lowering down from 17k, I see three more dots.  I check dar again--no dot, no counters in the sector, and now I'm confused.  Maybe it's a train?  A resupply convoy or something?  Can't be a bad guy ten miles south of the base, I figured A18 was under attack from the north...but, can't ignore that warning.

Finally, one of the dots turns into a 109!  The other three turn out to be two B-26s and a P-51, either at weed-clipping height, or maybe even parked in the grass, I don't know.  To make a long story short, the 109 gets me (because, well, I really suck coming off a long layoff, and I was never that good before) and the buff group and attached C-47 wind up coming extremely close to sneaking A17.  

If it hadn't been for that base alert, I would have written that dot off as a friendly and not bothered checking it out.  And they were a good ten miles southwest of A18 when I stumbled over them.

guys, very audacious raid. :)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2002, 10:04:02 PM »
Originally posted by popeye

Also, add a "Radio Hut" to each field which, when destroyed, would disable the flashing and audio warnings.

THIS is an AWESOME idea!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2002, 10:13:18 PM »
Originally posted by pbirmingham

Jeez, give you guys an inch and you want a mile.  You got your NOE radar blind zone, but you just can't stand that you might actually have to face defenders when you attack a field, so you want to be able to disable the field attack warning, too.:rolleyes:

Whats wrong with it?  If a field is flashing and suddenly stops..  it's a clear signal something is up.  I like the idea because as it is, with allot less luck than you'd expect, a single defender can foil and entire NOE bomber or capture mission granted he gets up as soon as the flashing starts.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2002, 10:23:10 PM »
Originally posted by RDSaustinTX

My observation: HT comments not withstanding, we DO make an enema bar dar, even at 50 feet. Have tested this several times.

mullah

Not always.  There may be a glitch because I've heard this before, however I took down a C-47 attempting an NOE capture the other day and saw him totally by accident.  The city was down, the base was (and had been flashing) but there was NO bardar.  I'd been out looking for the NOE, had given up and noticed the guy during my final approach by sheer luck.  Another 10 seconds and he'd have taken the base with little warning.