Author Topic: Aces High Training Films available  (Read 639 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Aces High Training Films available
« on: April 17, 2001, 08:13:00 AM »
I've started filming a collection of training films that I will be adding to constantly.

Aces High Training Films

Be sure to read the description below each film prior to viewing, and turn TRAILS on, as well as using exterior viewer (F4,F5,F8, keypad for rotation, Z key for zooming) for best results of viewing.

Most films will be narrated in the text buffer as to what I am doing in each.  The basic platform for some these films (but not all) will be the F4U Corsair, however, considering the nature of the training films, you can 'replace' the F4U with any plane you choose for tactics.  New films will constantly be added, about 10 in the next two weeks.

All films are in ZIP format, simply download it to a folder, and unzip it into your Aces High Films folder then open up Aces High, and select FILM and open the file to view.  Note the 'anomolies' on this website regarding films in Aces High as well.

Hope this helps some of you.

Films to date:
~AA supression using the F4U-1D as a weapons platform.
~Carrier taking off and landing procedures.
~B17 attack-Mano vs Mano(Single B17 vs single FW190.
~Vehicle Field attack using the F4U.
~F6F5 Hellcat Carrier Landing.
~F4U Corsair take-off and landing at an airfield.
~Heavy Lancaster Take-off and climb out[/b]
------------------

VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Aces High Training Films
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons
"Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is never finished."

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-20-2001).]

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
Very nice Rip <S> downloaded them all and they make good viewing, I'd recommend everyone take a look to make your tiem online more productive.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Thks Revvin..and anyone that knows me well, knows that I'm an average pilot (Ask Zigrat!)...the films are to help newbies with conservative approaches to various operations within Aces High.  More will be added soon including Tanking, anti-tanking (Tank Jabo's including strafing and bombing) etc. etc.

If you want to contribute, you're more than welcome to send the film to me.  It must be narrated in the text buffer so as to help a new pilot to Aces High.  I'm especially in need of a good ATA pilot, and short examples of proper offensive and defensive moves...though its tough to type while performing these, one could type it in the buffer what move he's about to perform.

Some of these take time, for instant, the buff attack I first used a Dora, well, I got the kill, but my engine was hit and I ended up dead sticking back to the airfield.  I didn't want to post that fil, since the only example one could learn from it is how NOT to stay 'target fixated' too long on the rear quarter of a bomber when using slashing manuevers.  

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
Now that is one cool idea!

WTG Ripsnort!

Cheers,
phaetn

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Appreciate the effort Ripsnort.

One question though.  I notice you were able to setup proper slashing attacks from the front, because the bomber maintained basically the same course throughout your attacks.  However, in the MA, the typical bomber pilot will turn his six to you when he sees you setting up an attack.  What do you do if he continually turns so that he keeps you on his six, not allowing you to get ahead of him?

bowser

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »

Originally posted by bowser:
Appreciate the effort Ripsnort.

One question though.  I notice you were able to setup proper slashing attacks from the front, because the bomber maintained basically the same course throughout your attacks.  However, in the MA, the typical bomber pilot will turn his six to you when he sees you setting up an attack.  What do you do if he continually turns so that he keeps you on his six, not allowing you to get ahead of him?

bowser

Good question Bowser, it takes much longer to position ones self in that case, you constantly have to 'eye' the con, as you can see I'm constantly judging my distance to the B17 by staying as close as possible without getting within a guns solution...right plane for the right job again...a G10 will never get left behind, nor would a alt F4U, Dora, or several other A/C...a spit 5, .202, etc...well, forget it unless you have altitude on him.

Also, when the con turns (assuming you've 'positioned' yourself just ahead about D2.0 out), that's when I chooose to attack when hes in his turn.  If he straightens out immediatly to man the guns (or if the guns are firing in the turn, sign of a gunner joined up), I then just assume my frontal high corner position...its really a game of cat and mouse..and odds are alittle better than 50/50 that you'll get your kill.

Again, the film does nothing fancy, its a conservative approach.  And, there are buff driver/gunners out there that are just impossible to get a good bead on without getting pinged.

My next film for buff attack will cover your question...its a high 12'clk attack using a split S and driving thru the windscreen/fuselage and extending down...in this case, if the buff turns, you're right over him, and you can make your course correction easily. The sweet part of this type of attack is that the buff guns in the top turret have almost a type of restriction on a guns solution for you if timed just right.  Very difficult to do, but if learned, can be extremely rewarding for downing a buff.

Again, all buff tactics *should* be with a wingman, but alas, we're not always priveleged with a set-up like that in Aces High.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-17-2001).]

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Rip,

We should be getting a film editor.  This will make it a breeze to make training films.  You will be able to add a more descriptive text to your film, and point the camera angle where you need the student to look.  Should be a neat and helpful addon.

Drex  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Cool Drex, I will look forward to that!  I'd also like to add .wav recordings to them so I don't have to type!  

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
I had two nice ones of an M16 getting killed when I first tried Aces High last year with a few squad mates from 249 Squadron, one guy was adamant they were invincible so I recorded them to show him otherwise, unfortunately I just looked at them and both crash AH back to the desktop but neither had comments in the buffer either.

I seem to remember Hblair being quite handy with film editing perhaps you an he could team up and produce them in mor formats, perhaps those that don't require Aces High to play them...might even act as a lure to players curious about the sim as it seems every other tom dick and harry developer releases film to promote their work except HTC. I'm sure between you you could come up with some great footage backed by a stirring musical score in the background  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
Good idea Rev, however, I'd like to focus on players we have currently. The film viewer allows them inside as well as outside the cockpit, for instrumentation viewing (airspeed, etc) and angles of attack.  I can't compete with Hblair for film editting, however, the goal is not one of producing excellent footage like himself, but helping noobs get basics down.

<S>

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Ripsnort,

I've always been impressed by the way you approach AH!!  Thanks for your positive inputs to this board and to this community!!

<SALUTE>

Buhdman, out

------------------
Walt (buhdman) Barrow
(formerly lt-buhd-lite)
The Buccaneers - "Return with Honor"
home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
Thks for the kind words Buhd, I'm also an bellybutton at times!  

Hope to meet you at the Con this fall.  

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2001, 04:12:00 AM »
great idea, Rip.

1) Why text only? Won't RW work on films?

2) How about the textbook manouvers? Took me ages to find out what a chandelle was, this could cut down the learning curve a lot!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
1) Why text only? Won't RW work on films?

I have not been able to figure a way to do this other than create a .wav file and include it in the zip file of the film, or course, the syncronization may not there be there, so I chose to use text.

2) How about the textbook manouvers? Took me ages to find out what a chandelle was, this could cut down the learning curve a lot!

Again, this is not my area of great expertise. I'm a mud mover and 'basic training' type primarily.  I will be doing "plane specific" maneuver films, such as Boom and Zoom tactics with a FW190, "Rope-a-Dope" with 109's, etc...but I will leave the ACM to someone else who would be willing to make a film, and narrate it within the text box, then send it to me and I will post it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
Two new films up, "Vehicle Field attack" and "Hellcat Carrier Landings".

You'll need the Norway Terrain for the latter.  You can get the Norway terrain by loggin into the SEA.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-18-2001).]