Author Topic: Low Priority Front  (Read 876 times)

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
Low Priority Front
« on: April 18, 2001, 04:59:00 AM »
This thread is about idea of divided arena, one part for late/mid war planes and other early/mid war planes. This is not just fantasy as low priority fronts like scandinavia and early pacific existed in WWII.

Low priority front (LPF) could be smaller in area than high priority front (HPF) since planes are bit slower. LPF would be far away from HPF, either secluded by sea or mountains. If it is sea there should be way to prevent or hinder HPF CV's getting to LPF.

LPF/HPF arena in short:

+ Finally use for early war planes
+ far better place for ground vehicle use since planes dont carry many bombs or rockets. Spitfire and Typhoon would have Hispanos but it might be that 1.07 solves that problem too.

- To reset whole arena LPF need to be conquered too. Someone might not be interested to fight in that front.
- both LPF and HPF need to be divided to three sections, creating 6 sections in total. If some country loses its section in ether front, it would cause whining (well, what doesnt really?)
- Someone might actually have time and patience to get to LPF in late war plane.

Plane and vehicle division suggestion:

LPF:

A6M5b
B-26B
Bf 109F-4 (Q1/41)
Bf 109G-2
C-47A
C.202
C.205 (Q2/42)
Fw 190A-5 (A-3 substitute Q3/41)
Ju 88
La-5FN (Q2/42)
Lancaster III (Q2/42)
M-16
M-3
P-47-D11 (Q4/42 released in 1.07)
Panzer IV H
PT Boat
SeaFire (Q4/42)
SpitV (Q1/41)
TBM-3 (Q2/42)
Typhoon (Q4/41 - Q3/42)
Yak-9T (Q1/43)

HPF:

A6M5b
Ar 234
B-17G
B-26B
Bf 109G-10
Bf 109G-6
C-47A
C.205
F4U-1C
F4U-1D
F6F-5
Fw 190A-5
Fw 190A-8
Fw 190D-9
Fw 190F-8
Ju 88
Ki 61 (Released in 1.07)
La-5FN
La-7
Lancaster III
LVT(a) 2 (Released in 1.07)
LVT(a) 4 (Released in 1.07)
M-16
M-3
N1K2
Ostwind
P-38L
P-47-D25
P-47-D30
P-51B
P-51D
Panzer IV H
PT Boat
SeaFire
Spitfire Mk IX
Ta 152H
TBM-3
Tempest
Typhoon IB
Yak-9T
Yak-9U

About plane division... It is reasonable that early war planes are not available anymore on HPF, they have been moved to LPF since they are not competitive. LPF also lacks many important planes that should be there, mainly early US planes (P-38F, F4F, P-40) but there is no use to to substitute them by later models because they are, well, later models and usually far better in performance.

Few questions since I haven't used terrain editor or fiddled with arena parameters:

- Can fields on same arena have different planes available?

- Can fleets on same arena have different planes available?

Comments? If we find enough interest we could form a task force to implement this never tried before idea!

------------------
jochen / Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolschevismus!

[This message has been edited by Jochen (edited 04-18-2001).]
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
Puntski!

------------------

Sieg oder bolschevismus!

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
looks pretty good idea, but the Ki-61 and P-38 L (sub for p38 J) should be at the low priority front IMO

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2001, 09:42:00 AM »
I have allways liked this idea.   It is very much like my "area" idea.  It really does seem like the only way to introduce and have useful, early war planes.   I do believe thjat some natural barrier needs to be between the "fronts" or "areas" in the arena say.... 40K mountiain range or something.

This is by far a better idea than the idiotic perk system, seperate arenas or rolling plane set or any combination thereof.
lazs

Offline Skysix1

• Zinc Member
      • http://sky610.tripod.com/skyssite/
Low Priority Front
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
I like it too  

------------------
Chuck Perry   
"Sky61"

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
Low Priority Front
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2001, 10:55:00 AM »
I like this idea.  I like the 'rolling perk' idea.  I also like the RPS idea.

Nearly anything would be better than what we have now.

anRky

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
While I like the concept, I do have one concern; how do you keep the HPF away from the LPF in general? Is it necessary to worry about that?

VISCONTI

Low Priority Front
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
yes!

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »
kieran.... a 40k mountain range would do it.  a 4 sector ocean would probly work too.

What I would like tho is the seperation plus.... I would like the early war area to be in the canyon section... huge deep canyons where ealy twisty turny planes would kick bellybutton on clumsy fast late war planes that managed to get to the canyons on their last few gallons of fuel after a 20-30 minute flight.
lazs

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2001, 06:42:00 AM »
I think wide enough sea would be enough to protect or atleast separate LPF from HPF. Also real life low priority fronts were usually separated by sea from main land like Norway, North Africa and pacific during early phases. Few fighter pilots would have patience to fly 4 or 5 sectors to harass LPF continuosly. Bombers might do it but LPF would have few strategic targets making the trip boring.

Fleets are different matter. HPF fleet could sail to LPF with very powerful carrier based planes. However sea could be occupied by chain of small islands with V bases capable of launching PT boats that might sink the CV. Or then the sea is just so big nobody wants to waste 4 hours of good fleet time just to get it over sea. This would perhaps  country's HPF without fleet, making it foolhardy attempt.

This idea is actually refined from lazs original thought which is actually fine one. Separate arenas do not work because folks go where is more pilots online. Rolling Perk Set would not work because many pilots want to fly their uberplane all the time without paying it.

------------------

Sieg oder bolschevismus!

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Jochen, I like your idea   BTW, the C.205 is Q1/43  
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
yep joch.. a big enough sea would work and so would having the early fields be in the canyons.   As for the carriers... just don't allow them to track there... maybe an inland sea?  It really wouldn't be hard in any case.  a minor detail to work out.  

The advantage of such an arena is that it is easy to choose what type of flying you want without jumping around and it offers the most parity and CHOICE for everyone of any idea I have ever seen.   It would eliminate the need for perks.
lazs

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
Great idea!

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Low Priority Front
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2001, 08:47:00 PM »
I'm thinking this canyon area would suck -> in effect, the planes loose their freedom to manouever and it would be like dogfighting inside sewer pipes. Buffs and Goons would suffer since they couldn't sneak in from unexpected angles, but would be forced to follow the canyon paths, making easy work for any intercepting fighters.

Offline darling

• Zinc Member
      • http://peterson.gm.is
Low Priority Front
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2001, 09:43:00 PM »
Hi guys

I don't often read the BBS, not to mention post on it. This post did pique my interest none the less, since it addresses one of my pet peeves with AH, same-era-planesets.
I agree with it's motives, although I may not completely agree with the method of execution. I can give you 3 reasons.
First off, I think separating the are(n)as would e problematic. I don't think it would be as simple as putting a huge mountain range or ocean in between. The mountain range would have to be Very high, and the ocean would have to be Very wide. This is because I think that many people would be tempted to take their TA-152s over the hill so to speak :-), or their P-51Ds across the ocean (150 miles combat radius with tanks is a looong way). What havoc a pony could wreak among c.202s, spitVs, F-4s, etc!
Secondly I think that an arena like this would just look, well, weird. I like the fact that the maps we have now, for all their faults, be they minor (CVs on a lake? :-) ), or major (why does North side in isles nearly always carry the day?) are fairly realistic and you can at least without too much effort, imagine you are really there. - However well you can really imagine being involved in a shooting war, without actually being in one.
Third and last, I just think that interest in the early war planes is sadly limited to us few hard-core sim enthusiasts, so the participation in the hostorical area would probably be limited to us. - Thought: "And this is a bad thing why?" :-)

I think we have to accept, for the time being, that we are in the mid to late-war years, and act accordingly. But I fervently hope that we will eventually see a Historical Arena, with none of these high-performance late war fighters.

To the rescue!
Darling