Author Topic: NAT and AH Vox  (Read 373 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
NAT and AH Vox
« on: April 25, 2002, 11:34:43 PM »
My ISP just made changes on my DSL connection.  I went from bridge mode to routing with NAT.  Ever since then my AH Vox comes in and out.  Sometimes I hear, sometimes I don't hear anything.

HTC or anyone, do you have any advice on how I can get AH Vox to work with NAT enabled?  Please advise.

Thanks!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
NAT and AH Vox
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 11:53:15 AM »
From the 1.09 patch2 readme file:
"Added an inactive ping in the voice system so that NAT servers will not timeout."

Are you using the latest patch?
[I'm no expert but I remember reading that when the newest patch was put out]

Just a thought,
fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Aurelius

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com  http://www.aurelius.8m.net/aceshigh
NAT and AH Vox
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 04:02:37 PM »
Hello dtango,
 When you experience this how long does it happen for? Can you not hear for a minute or longer? Or is the sentence of another player getting the words chopped in and out. How long have you been experiencing this?

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
NAT and AH Vox
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2002, 05:01:59 PM »
Aurelius:

It just started happening yesterday for me.  My DSL/ISP provider made some changes (a) switching from bridge-mode to routing mode with NAT enabled, and (b)enabling PPOA (ppp authentication).  I thought this might be the cause of it all.

AH Vox seems to come in and out every few minutes.  Like 2-5 minutes, will stay for a 2-5 minutes then go away.  During the times I don't hear I have heard reports from my squad mates that they can hear me but I don't hear them.

Just a further clarification:  I don't hear anything.  After a few minutes I'm hearing conversations again.  Wait a few more minutes and then I'm not hearing anything again.  For the most part I don't think sentences are being cut that I can tell.

Before yesterday AH Vox had been working fine.

Tango, XO
« Last Edit: April 26, 2002, 05:04:12 PM by dtango »
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
NAT and AH Vox
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2002, 04:15:30 PM »
Update on my status:

I had my ISP switch me to using a static IP address and with NAT disabled.  This appears to have corrected my problem.  My ISP tech staff were also puzzled at the problems I was having when NAT was enabled.

For the record my DSL router is a Speedstream 5600 series router.

I have heard reports with other people having similar symptoms with AH Vox.  Maybe a similar thing is occurring with NAT or Firewalling doing something bizarre with AH Vox?

Tango, XO

Offline TheFatz

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.linuxhaven.com
Question
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2002, 05:19:53 PM »
AHV seems to "Que" up the messages, so you dont get any steping on when somebody speaks.  Why doesnt HTC move AHV from UDP to TCP.  TCP will always work with nat, UDP is a PITA to work with nat.  

HTC May follow the RFC rules for working with nat, but not every router and firewall manafacture follows those rules.   I auctually had to edit my ipf source code on my OpenBSD 2.9 firewall in order to get AHV working mostly stable, even then the server still disconnects me.

Let me ask this, if the server ques messages, why are we using udp for transmission?

TheFatz

Offline TheFatz

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.linuxhaven.com
NAT and AH Vox
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2002, 05:25:33 PM »
Tango I hope they can fix it to work with nat, but I dont think anything is going to happen.  HTC seems dodgy around with this issue.  I dont know why either.

I would never make a product that disables and/or hampers a 3rd party product like what HTC did with AHV and RogerWilco, with very little testing, and what almost seems like a quick "hurry up hack".  I would of left them the option to use any system they choose and not force them into something differant.

If I was at a small company like HTC I could see it happining.  But if I did that to 30,000 people at my work, I could see my job going out the window.   :(