Author Topic: Fun vs. not Fun aspects of Aces High...  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Fun vs. not Fun aspects of Aces High...
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Guys, argue radar til your blue, it won't get changed in Main.  If you like no dar settings, go the the 3 times weekly EVENTS (historical match ups)

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
Could you imagine what lazs would say if they removed radar?

You think him lobbying for the furball island or arena area(I ferget what it's called?) is bad right now... geez man you're eyes will bleed after reading what he'd have to say if you took away radar.
-SW

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
totally agree cit.

HTC this game is undoubtedly a fantastic one but i feel you must experiment more.
It seems to me people in the AH community want everything to stay as it is all the time.I personally would like to try all these ideas! Lets try a tour with no radar below 500ft! why not? if it begins to annoy everyone we can change back.
in beta days that was part of the fun for me, seeing new things tried out.
lets try less accurate flak less accurate bombs with bigger blast radius, lets encourage SALVO drops! lets make bombers more resistant to damage and make the guns exactly like they were for a week or a tour? lets try perking the f4c (and ill agree dora could be perked ok?).
All i ask is the chance to play these different types of games.Couldnt we use the test arena for this sort of thing? As it is im getting bored with the strategic/tactic element of AH.Its becoming all too simplified.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
Simply stated, I believe the MA is a quasi-furball arena, ya know, FFA. Thats why I log in, to dogfight.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy tactical as well but not in the MA. I enjoy most the scenario's and hope one day we have an HA but one that is populated, not like we had in WB.

Thanks for the question. <S>

Originally posted by Degas:
Just curious.  Apache, in stead of logging off, why not organize/take part in a mission?  Take a field, hit a factory/city/hq, whatever?

lazs

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
why would anyone want to win a fite by.... surprise?
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by hazed-:
totally agree cit.

Lets try a tour with no radar below 500ft! why not? if it begins to annoy everyone we can change back.

TOTALLY agree.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by lazs:
lazs

Lack of skill?  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
Fun: Have time to play..and playing

Not Fun: Having to use your free time to mow the lawn.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
I use dar if we have it. I don't worry a bit if we don't. You can usually guess with a good deal of certainty where the enemy is based on what bases we have left and the chatter on the country channel. The only thing you don't know is how high, but you don't know that anyway...

Sure, I love to kill pilots from a low-six "jump". Hate it when it happens to me, but I do think it takes skill to make that approach- all the more so since the ever-present dar will warn anyone vigilant enough to check it every 30 seconds or so. My opinion, of course.

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
From a Pratt & Whitney ad in Air Force magazine:

"There is no section titled 'THE UNFAIR USE OF TECHNOLOGY' in the Geneva Convention."

I interpret this to include sneaky tactics.

delta

PS : Agree with Cit's List, especially the 88s/cv ack issue. Fix it all.

edited to add the above ps.

[This message has been edited by delta (edited 04-20-2001).]

lazs

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2001, 11:24:00 AM »
certainly people were surprised in "RL" WWII air combat but that part is no more worth simulating than the "realism" of 6 hour flights and entire tours without seeing the enemy.

I don't see any problem with some radar limits at very low alts but the field capture has to be fixed first.   hard enough to find a field worth taking off from as it is.
lazs

funked

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
Agree 100% with Cit's lists.  Sure wish they would fix the stuff on the second one.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Put me down as concurring with Citabria on this one.

Offline Kats

• Zinc Member
      • http://jg27.org
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »

Hey!!!!!!! I resemble that  

Those are my favorite kills and I'll tell you why. They stress me out more than any other type of kill. "Oooooo he doesn't see me, ok get closer....closer....closer... .should I shoot? What if he banks and checks 6? Naahh get closer closer......dammit I hope he doesn't look.........Fug it, I can't take this crap.....I'm goona shoot.............ratatatatat atatata BOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh that was gooooooooood"

Get it?

funked

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
Air combat without stealth or the element of surprise is like playing poker with everybody's hand exposed.  It's no fun and it's only useful for showing kids or the mentally disabled how to play.