Author Topic: BBS Gestapo?  (Read 548 times)

Caligula the one and only

BBS Gestapo?
« on: April 20, 2001, 06:21:00 PM »
What is up with people complaining about this and that post being off topic?
If it`s a general discussion board,for the people we see allmost every day,in this strange virual world,than I`d like to dicuss anything here.Be it about AH ,a new game,the price of smokes,or someone`s ex G/F.
Whatever...just be open ,and You`ll might find something out on this board You wouldn`t have otherways.
And if You don`t care about a post,just don`t read it.
I doubt any off topic post cost extra money to HTC,or to anyone else.So just let `em be.

Peace..

funked

BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2001, 06:30:00 PM »
The kind of crap that you describe (and crap threads like this one) clutter up the board and prevent important on-topic stuff from getting read, by pushing it further and further down the list of threads.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2001, 06:37:00 PM »
I don't know who this guy is or whether he has a hidden aganda, but the truth is he has a point.

There's a REASON that the AH community has a widespread reputation for being generally rude and hostile.  

J_A_B

SethK

BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2001, 07:47:00 PM »
I second that emotion

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
What gets me is the people trying to compare this BBS to AGW and how AGW is more tolerant to topics when this is a forum run by HITECH CREATIONS and is not a fan site/forum like AGW. So far IMO HTC have been more than tolerant with what goes on here and the content posted and if you think otherwise then I suggest you go any try posting off-topic at iEN's forum. I had posts and eventually an account taken away from me for a light hearted comment over the validity of some WBIII screenshots about a year ago...still in the long run I benefited because it finally gave me an excuse to give Aces High a try  

Sturm

BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »
Sorry caligula is a good guy.  He has no hidden agenda, he is making a point and he is correct.  This crowd will come unglued if you mention any other sim "WW2online especially", a Joke, things they don't know about and feel threatened.  I am going to stay in the aircraft and vehicle/O club section for now on.  Itss not as bad as this Soap box derby.  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron
"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"  Famous quote from Animal House, John Belushi.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2001, 08:48:00 PM »
Oh geez, I don't believe I need to point this out, but I will.  This isn't a general discussion board for any irrelevant chatter.

Look at the title of the forum and figure it out. "Aces High General Discussion". Its a general discussion board about the game of Aces High.  Why isn't it obvious?

HTC has kindly provided an Off Topic forum about other stuff, and that should be a clue. Topics not related to the game of Aces High do not belong in this forum.

People who want to chatter about non-AH stuff are welcome to use the off topic forum, or go join AOL, they have plenty of chat sights.

Maybe those who come here to discuss the game do not necessarily want to wade through irrelevant threads.  Maybe they also don't want to see good relevant discussions moved down and off the page quickly by extraneous nonsense?  Might this be a possibility?

Dago

[This message has been edited by Dago (edited 04-20-2001).]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2001, 10:50:00 PM »
I say something like it and I get flamed oh well there you go......

------------------
Glasses---I may have 4 eyes ,but you only have one wing.
Besser tot als rot

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
Think of it like the little test where there's a bunch of different shaped pegs and a board with different shaped holes. The object is to get the peg into the hole of the same shape.

Now in the General Forums section here, there are 10 Specific forums. Think of that as the "board". Now your posts are the "pegs".

To help you, HTC has thoughtfully provided a description of what might be discussed in each Specific Forum. It's that little sentence under the Specific Forum name.

OK, now try to put your posts ("pegs") in the correct forums ("holes").

Oh, BTW, pay no attention to the guys in white coats that are timing you.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Toady

BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2001, 11:19:00 PM »
I like worthless banter, both in the radio buffer and on any of these boards as long as it brings a smile to my face - I come from a 1st person shooter (gasp) community where flaming became something of an art form and was one of the reasons I a) abandoned the community aspect b) stopped playing the game altogether.  

the moment AH becomes as anal and po-faced as that you won't see me for dust.  AH is refreshing in that the majority of participants are grown adults with a sense of humour and i would hate to see that compromised just because some posts were deemed 'off topic'.  

HTC charges us a lot of money for their service and have provided numerous forums for our (the customers) use. there are loads of forums for specific discussions so why not have one for community members to say whatever they like? i was choking the radio buffer with total bollocks tonight, but no-one seemed to mind; in fact most people found it amusing, and not one person told me to shut up  

obviously, deliberately offensive posts are unnacceptable, but that is a feature of every board i've ever come across.

------------------------------
SAY NO TO FORUM NAZISM!!!

[This message has been edited by Toady (edited 04-20-2001).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2001, 05:25:00 AM »

HTC charges us a lot of money for their service and have provided numerous forums for our (the customers) use. there are loads of forums for specific discussions so why not have one for community members to say whatever they like? i was choking the radio buffer with total bollocks tonight, but no-one seemed to mind; in fact most people found it amusing, and not one person told me to shut up

Toady, I'd like to know what you think the O-club is for? It's a forum for bollocks, and I've posted a load of bollocks there many times.

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2001, 05:39:00 AM »
And if You dont care about a post,just dont read it.

Aye men.  BUT, for the most part the board is real easy to read. Still, don't forget if you don't organize it it gets a bit out of hand.

There are guys with like 4500 posts that think their opinion no matter if "in topic" or "not" everyone should have to read, or in my case SCROLL past.

Relevance seems more important than topic. (nope, they wont care or learn)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »

Originally posted by Revvin:
What gets me is the people trying to compare this BBS to AGW and how AGW is more tolerant to topics when this is a forum run by HITECH CREATIONS and is not a fan site/forum like AGW. So far IMO HTC have been more than tolerant with what goes on here and the content posted and if you think otherwise then I suggest you go any try posting off-topic at iEN's forum. I had posts and eventually an account taken away from me for a light hearted comment over the validity of some WBIII screenshots about a year ago...still in the long run I benefited because it finally gave me an excuse to give Aces High a try  

LOL Revvin, I quit WB 4 months after finaly making trainer (took over 3 years to get the gig)  One of the main reasons was that IEN was not only censoring post but deleting them off of the Trainer/Beta tester boards, these weren't even open to the public.

Most of the posts that HTC have locked have deserved it in my opinion.

Udie

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
Toady, I'd like to know what you think the O-club is for? It's a forum for bollocks, and I've posted a load of bollocks there many times.

Don't get me started Downding!  

Udie

Squidzilla

BBS Gestapo?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2001, 07:00:00 AM »
LOL Creamo!

Oh dear.

I just added another useless post.

How gay.