Author Topic: Time for the Brewster?  (Read 8345 times)

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2002, 11:35:22 PM »
Originally posted by udet
I bet an I153 or a Gloster Gladiator can defeat a Brewskier Buffalo Winger easily.And they are BIPLANES!!!

Agreed! We need biplanes and japanese planes most but I'll pitch in a vote for "Brewster" :)

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2002, 04:16:03 AM »
Ryysteri numeroa 354.

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
HELL YEAH!
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2002, 04:00:52 PM »
I agree 5000%. I was just reading about it last night and it looks like a pretty sweet plane. From my F6F I will definately like the F4F and I am sure I will like the F2A Brewster even though I can run faster than it :). It sounds like a pretty sweet plane!

Offline julle

• Copper Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2002, 04:10:48 AM »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2002, 06:35:31 AM »
The USN version of the brewsters were far worse performers because they added so much armour on it that the weight destroyed the performance.

It's also to be noted that the finnish brewsters had DC-3 engines which to my knowledge lacked the 2-stage superchargers.

USN stripped the brewsters of all armament and engines to the surprise of the finnish purchaser.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2002, 02:42:46 PM »
Ahh I see MrRipley...maybe its not such a good thing after all hehe.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2002, 03:41:35 PM »
On the contrary, the stripped brewsters made very leathal fighters with the new and lighter equipment.

They would suite main enviroment perfectly since most fights happen below 15k. Basically brewster would be a great turner (almost like a6m) but with a medium dive ability and little tendency for compression. That and 4x.50 guns and relatively good durability makes a nice toy to harass late war planes. It would be slower but with proper tactics and E management it would be a serious danger to faster planes. When BW pilots were in distress they mostly made a vertical dive to the treetops. Because BW had great dive handling the enemy I-16, La-5 or yaks couldn't follow or augered trying.

The late war 109's made brewsters pretty much obsolete on high altitude interceptions but they continued in low alt missions throughout the war. Did you know btw that the finnish g-2's and g-6's were stripped of WEP equipment? That made them lighter and better turners. Planes with pods were sometimes also stripped of the nose cannon (G6) because the added weight made the plane too nose heavy.

In that sense the G-2 we have with finnish markings is modeled wrong. It should be 110kg lighter but lack wep.

Late war brewsters had a slightly improved armour (pilot seat was plated from the back.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2002, 03:45:09 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2002, 04:59:19 PM »
MrRipley,

There was no "WEP equipment" in the finnish 109s to begin with. WEP means running engine with much higher boost pressure. It didn't require any extra equipment.

This possibility to stress engine to maximum boost pressure was made unavailable at least in the G-2s.

I think you are confusing normal WEP with MW-50 water-methanol injection. Its tank was located behind the pilot and had weight around 100kg when full. No G-2 had it though.

BTW, this removal of the nose cannon sounds interesting...never heard about it being done during war time. From where did you read about it?
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2002, 05:50:17 PM »
I want the Brewster,heck I even want the Buffalo. We need early war planes.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2002, 08:24:52 PM »
Wmaker yes I meant the MW-50.

I can't recall anymore where exactly I read about the nose gun (it was over 10 years ago), but I have a clear memory of reading about the test flight and how the pilot (one of the times aces) gave an order to remove the gun or maybe mg's due to excess nose heaviness. I made the assumption that other 109's in that squad at least would get a similar treatment.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2002, 09:30:00 PM »
100, woohoo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2002, 06:44:43 AM »
MrRip, the pilot gave the order to remove the 20mm gunpods from the wings because they made the plane nose-heavy.

-Charge+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2002, 07:01:48 AM »
Ah might be so. I read it when I was 10-12 years old :) so its 18-20 years ago actually.

Offline julle

• Copper Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2002, 05:05:52 PM »
Punted for your pleasure! :D

Offline julle

• Copper Member
Time for the Brewster?
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2002, 01:46:42 AM »