Author Topic: Hanoi Jane  (Read 533 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2002, 11:35:12 PM »
Toad.  I hope they bury her on high ground.  With all the guys I know, that are planning the same thing, the whole cemetery could sink.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2002, 09:51:56 AM »
to you Preon. Are you at the AFA?

Preon said it very well. No one is defending what she did, only her right to do it. Some people make bad choices with freedom.

(I have attended the Graduation ceremony at the AFA, and have never had a better seat for a Thunderbird show than at the Academy football stadium. My Brother-in-law was a graduate and eventually a teacher and coach at the Blue Zoo)

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Re: Free Speech? Or Aid and Comfort?
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2002, 11:07:49 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
She can say what she wants to say; no problem with that.

But I personally think the trip to Hanoi went a little beyond free speech.

Toad, I agree. I thought one definition of treason was aiding and comforting the enemy. If there were any justice a B-52 strike would have taken her out while she was posing on that AA gun. I think the fact she was part of the priviliged class cut her more slack than you or I would get if we went to Baghdad and posed for pictures at a SAM site.

Preon, to you sir, you give me hope for our future knowing we have such quality in the Armed Forces.

Offline handy

• Zinc Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2002, 02:25:13 PM »
Oh no Lord Ha Ha and Tokyo Rose's free speech rights were violated...    I bet the ACLU would of had no trouble defending them either?    Remeber the left in America backed Stalin, Castro,
Ortega, Mao, and Ho Chi Minh,  So Jane Fonda is easy.
  Oh btw I understand Jane is a born again Christian now so the left will start hating her soon...

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2002, 02:31:48 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

handy,

Who's free speech rights would you protect?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2002, 02:48:28 PM »
When Fonda was in Hanoi it was July '72. I was a Senior in AFROTC then. Seems I recall the Staff Officers mentioning that bombing was suspended in the Hanoi area while she was in town for fear of hitting her and causing a Public Relations problem.

Don't remember for sure.. but it wouldn't suprise me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2002, 06:57:35 PM »
Freedom of Speech is not the issue here.

Visiting an enemy nation during time of war (Yes, I KNOW it wasn't a declared war!) IS the issue.  Had Betty Grable traveled to  Germany during World War II to give aid and comfort to the Nazis she would have been immediately arrested, tried, and incarcerated upon her return.  And rightly so.

The statements she made about our returning servicemen, while she had a right to say them, were unforgiveable.  That alone should disqualify her from receiving any "honors" from the film industry.  That narcisistic bunch has very little in common with the average American, so she'll probably be very near the top of their list of 100 most influential women.

Every serviceman who is able ought to stand in protest outside the award ceremony.

Rest in P___ , Jane

Regards

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2002, 07:54:19 PM »
Toad,

That was kinda common throughout the war.  There were international commissions and all sorts of dignitaries who visited Hanoi which had the affect of limiting the US's strikes.  Had the USA wanted to overthrow the North, it wouldn't be so difficult considering Hanoi and Haiphong are within 100 miles of each other and just off the coast for any amphibious landing.  And with many of the North's soldiers transiting south or already in South Vietnam, would've made for an interesting what-if?  Anyway, as I read this I was thinking about the picture of her in the AAA gun and am glad you found it and posted it.  Didn't she say "I want to shoot down Yankee Air-Pirates"?  I may be mixing urban legend with fact in that case, I don't know.  Her actions did cause many people some extra grief.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2002, 08:11:48 PM »
BTW, the debunking of the e-mail is here (and a few other places):

Hanoi Jane

I think it's legit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Hanoi Jane
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2002, 08:52:04 PM »
I think Jane Fonda's ultimate goal was to have America withdraw troops from Vietnam.  Too bad that she was insane.

Interesting statistic:  It is estimated that 10 to 15% of American casualties suffered in Vietnam were caused by friendly fire.

Source:
"About Face"
Col. David Hackworth