Author Topic: How to increase Revenue in A/H  (Read 621 times)

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
How to increase Revenue in A/H
« on: February 08, 2001, 02:47:00 AM »
It seems to me that A/H are looking at ways to increase revenue, and also its player base, IMHO, as in other online flight sims, the way to do this is to add a ww2 setup arena, as far as Allied versus Axis, then start to bring in planes from if you like the start of the war onwards (also Subs, Ships, Tanks etc...). This will bring in about 50% (based on W/B results) more players in the first 6 months, you have only to look at games like EAW, B17, MSCS1, MSCS2, and the newly awaited IL2, to see that players who play these games, and who have never played A/H, would basicly benafit from comming into A/H. The FM in A/H and the challange of flying against human opponets would surely add to their enjoyment.
Marcof.  

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
*gets out deckchair*
*skins up*
*waits patiently*

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
They can also earn more bucks by keeping on trucking as they do  .

I mean I don't necessarily want a HA but would like historical matchup ( ).

Lowering price is not a good idea as previous posts have discussed so other than this post I hope no one bring sit up.

Those that do are sissyboys. I have been unable to fly for the last 2 months more more, but when I see somethign worth supporting, I do so, so they've gotten $30 a month from me anyhow.

Everything has a time I guess.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up space"

funked

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »

...add a ww2 setup arena, as far as Allied versus Axis... This will bring in about 50% (based on W/B results) more players in the first 6 months...

Well we had a WW2 Setup Arena today.  I invited you and your squadmates to come on private, but there didn't seem to be any interest.  So much for your theory.

funked

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2001, 06:13:00 PM »
In addition to the Sunday afternoon events (Check Six, 4pm to 6pm EST) there are Saturday Snapshots and there will soon be Friday Snapshots.  A good way to encourage HTC to move towards more historical arena setups is to support these events.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2001, 06:14:00 PM »
Of course he never figured out that people who play those games play them because they only have to pay for it once... and most of them have easy flight models. It isn't the axis vs allied setup... it's the cheap cost.

Although, you have to admit Funked.... this guy must have some great drugs if he thinks it's that cut 'n dry.
-SW

funked

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
Drugs?  I don't think so.  Hell I hope he's right!

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
Replacing the MA with a WW2 Arena, you want that Funked?

Yup, the day that happens I give up in online games altogether.
-SW

funked

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
If a historical format resulted in greater success for HTC?  That would rock.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2001, 07:07:00 PM »
First of all, we don't have any idea of the success rate of a "historical format" arena.

All we have are basic numbers, based on who bought this game or who's following this game.

Newsflash!!! How many people that play B17II or are registered for that forum have a legit copy? There's 4000 registered members, know how many times I've seen guys post questions regarding information in the manual? I'd say about half the registered members don't have a manual.

Of the people following WWII Ol how many do you think will pay to play it after gets out of free beta? Judging by the posts complaining about paying for it, more than half of those people won't be around.

Of the people following IL2, how many are going to buy it? How many will locate a warez site and download it?

Most importantly, of the people that will pay for IL2 or B17II for a copy of the game... how many do you REALLY think are willing to put up 30$/month to play online? My guess is maybe 20 guys.

Do you really think that because the FM is harder/more realistic that someone playing B17 or IL2 or CFS1/CFS2 will come flocking over here simply because the arena becomes a "historical format" arena? Doubtful, especially when you take a look at the FMs within those games. IL2 is yet to be known as to how good it will be so that's up in the air.

Basing opinion on liquid numbers only makes it an opinion. It's in no way certain the number of players in AH will increase with a "historical format" arena. I might even venture out to say it would be detrimental to AH.

Here's why:
Currently we have 3 countries fighting a 3 way war with fantasy setups. When scenarios come along there's typically a good number of guys that sign up and play in them then go back to the MA for fun. The scenarios are usually lead quite well and are fairly well balanced. A "historical format" arena more than likely will not be balanced or even close to that. In the current MA you get a lot of guys complaining about gang banging or uneven teams. It will only get worse with a two country axis vs allied setup. Guys will choose the side that gives 'em the better planes, the sides will be lopsided, the complaints skyrocket, and people will probably begin to leave in droves. Then you run into the problem of each time a planeset rotates in or out you will see one side have a distinct advantage over the other. Then you couple that with one side containing a significant number of players over the other side.

People would lose more interest over that than I think a "historical format" arena would generate.

I've been there before, I've seen it happen.. and these games cost either nothing or were a one time fee and people were still giving up. Flying Circus-- extinct and Red Baron II which contains only a handful of people online now.
-SW

funked

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
Hey, whatever.  If you like the pork arena, support it.  I'll support the historical events.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm all for historical events. I'd like to see more of 'em.
-SW

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »
Everytime I shoot down a 109 its a historical event!

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
Hmmm...a historical arena, eh?  Sounds like an interesting idea, I can't say I've heard of anything like that before.  Oh wait...nevermind  
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

OzNimbus

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2001, 08:14:00 PM »
Hey, the reason I quit flying in Warbirds is because the WW2 arena simply doesn't work.  One night, everyone flies allies, the next, everyone Axis.... it's completely lopsided.  In theory, it's a great idea, but in reality, they just don't have the planeset to pull it off.

Personally, I really like having a *choice* in what I fly....  In other words, I don't like having that choice made for me!

Take the above for what it's worth....  I gave up 4 YEARS of Warbirds to have a choice here in AH.... and I'm enjoying the hell out of it!

-0z-
Lancers