Author Topic: Mindnao  (Read 921 times)

Offline manybeer

• Zinc Member
Mindnao
« on: December 16, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
Just wondering if anything can be done to Mindnao to make it a little more enjoyable to play on.  I always see people complain about it, and it seems we are stuck on it for weeks because it is hard to get a reset.

I think it would be nice if it was easier to get GV's into different fields...that would certainly get the game moving quicker.  I think the graphics are great, nice scenerey etc....however we just get sick of it because of all the restrictions.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Sincerely
Brent...(manybeers)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Mindnao
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
The more I play on this map, the more I love it.  There's nothing as awesome as weaving in and out of those canyons avoiding a bogey, only to loop around a mountain and turn the tables on him.

Or it's also funny to watch a low slow P-38 cause a bunch of friendlies to auger into the mountain (watched TAC do this earlier, very funny, I didn't feel like getting my P-51 slow enough to meaningfully engage as I was enjoying the show too much).

The main problem I think people have with Mindanao is the steep cliffs make it rough to use ground vehicles.  Perhaps roads and even tunnels could somehow be incorporated into the terrain?

J_A_B

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Mindnao
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
yup. Mindanao is my favorite map. I don't GV though, and can understand the gripes of those that do.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Mindnao
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
Yes, mindanao could use more GV action.

My view on the complaints about mindanao is this:

Its a map where furballing is NOT effective. Fields are usually taken after HOURS, if not a whole day of furballing. Or when an organized or semi-organized group go and attack the field. The fields are also layed out VERY well. No side has a marked advantage nor a clear cut path to win the reset. The only bad thing I see in mindanao is that the left side of the map is too easy to defend.

Its a map with many raised fields and rugged terrain and defenders can take off from a raised field near to it to help in the defense.

Compare that to NDISLES, where CV furballs and CV-flak cover are what gets the winning advantage & that fields are only reachable by one or 2 other fields (aka whoever gets the biggest furball wave over the other's field usually wins)... or to Baltic, where the fields are laid out in such a way that pushing for a reset always requires taking the same fields... or to the Uterus, where the front lines are clear cut and narrow, making the fight for each field be just another huge furball.

Mindanao is the only map where you can actually flank, go head-on or encircle the enemy fields.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Mindnao
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
I dislike game play on this map, I stagnates nobody takes the flanking aproach on the west side because it is to easy to see it coming, and defened aganst it. Also with the comparatevly huge numbers of people in the MA these days on the narow fronts this map has you basicaly have huge furballs raging for hours and days over the same sections of the map, I dont particuarly enjoy the furball madness, heck half the time I get kill shoter deaths more than deaths caused by the freaking enemy.

We nead bigger maps.

I do enjoy the Visual apeal of this map though it is by far the best looking.

I dont understand why they dont add some vehical spaws in the canyons like they did on the earler maps, I loved those canyon battles.

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
Mindnao
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
i've said it before, and i'll say it again...i hate this map simply due to the fact that it's one huge freaking mountain basically.  (i also hate it because ever since i left home a couple of years ago to work with the feds, i've been living in mountains...working in mountains...and with this map, i have to play in mountains.  hehe).

and lastly, i've said this before...and i'll say it again:  I WANNA DESERT MAP (one that's nice and flat for the most part, with a few mountains/ridges...just for shi*s and giggles).  :D

The Tuckster

"On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a beer!"
Bob and Doug McKenzie

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Mindnao
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2001, 08:53:00 PM »
I agree with Manybrews on this topic,though Tac makes an observation I never thought of before...Still it's too hard to reset(west based country rarely gets invaded)with the large numbers as of late...I like to look for the small battles but it's hard to find them in prime time on this map.That is just my preference for gameplay though.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Pilatus

• Zinc Member
Mindnao
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2001, 11:32:00 PM »
Yup, we are going through this now.  The isthmus leading to the west is so narrow that only one country can, in praticality, pass through.  This leaves that invading country being instantly attacked by the other eastern country as they cannot get to the west via a contiguous base.  The western country has way too much of advantage in this one.

Crow

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Mindnao
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2001, 11:40:00 PM »
I love that map. I dont care for GV anyways.
I had an amazing fight with Tac yesterday, he was lucky I wasnt flying his same plane.

I lost, but he didnt win.

YOU HEAR ME MARICÓN?!?!

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Mindnao
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2001, 11:48:00 PM »
more maps will smooth things right out.

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
Mindnao
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by mrfish:
more maps will smooth things right out.

I agree but this map just takes weeks while others take 3 days. Map should be changed every 12 days or so, or at least stagnant ones like this.

Don't get me wrong though I apreciate the work that went into making this map.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Mindnao
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2001, 02:25:00 AM »
The only problem I have with Mindnao is the advantage held by the country in the western sector.  Now, if we could do a NOE attack without sector counters giving it away....   :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Mindnao
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
Perhaps, rather than field capture being too hard on Mindanao, it's too EASY on the other maps.  As noted, the other maps tend to be reset in only a few days.  I prefer the back-and-forth struggles seen on Mindanao over the "March to the Sea" seen on Baltic or Lake Shaw.  

Personally I think field capture is too easy overall.  A map reset should take longer than 2 or 3 days.

Brady:  What do you mean by "bigger maps"?  Would you recommend using roughly the same number of airfields, but spacing them out twice as far, or is your idea more along the lines of considerably increasing the number of airfields per side without changing the distances between airfields?

J_A_B

Offline rattler1

• Zinc Member
Mindnao
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
my two cents,
    I like the mindnao map best of all , most difficult flying, fighting , canyon chasing and fighting is great. It seems I am in the minority
but I give AH credit for thinking it up.
    Quicker resets I certainly would not object to for those who like variety.
    Regards
    Groger

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Mindnao
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
It's ok. I don't like the high altitudes which fights are driven up to, and I don't like being stuck on it for weeks on end. There are worse maps, but I like some diversity.

Also, even though I don't do much GV'ing myself, I like the gv addition. Combined arms strikes, airfield under attack from both land and air. Not much of that on Mindanao.

Worst map is NIsles. CV dweebery gangbang dweeb map  :D.

Hope HTC implements and auto rotate thing so we won't have the same map for more than 7 days in a row.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: StSanta ]