Author Topic: Mindnao  (Read 871 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Mindnao
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
THE UNITED STATES STRATEGIC BOMBING SURVEY

"... The Attack on the Railways and Waterways

The attack on transportation was the decisive blow that completely disorganized the German economy. It reduced war production in all categories and made it difficult to move what was produced to the front. The attack also limited the tactical mobility of the German army....."

Interesting read, for those who haven't.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Mindnao
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
Oldman quips (Jealous that people laugh when they say "Achtung! Jug!"):

"There was no military need for Eleven Group to be based where it was."

Forgetting the fact that in designing the sensous silhoutte of that greyhound sleek Empress of fighterplanes, The Spitfire! (notice the caps and obligatory exclamation mark)Mitchell forgot to put any petrol in it, and, as seeing as we hadn't got round to inventing A2A refuelling at the time, where were we supposed to put 'em?

"Like the continuance of the channel convoys, it was a noodle-size competition."

Well, you know those sailors. RN, Kriegsmarine, was it ever going to be a match?

"I thought the Survey concluded that, had the Allied ground forces not ended the war quicker, the bombing campaign would have brought Germany down within six more months."

And that's what they said before the ground forces got there too. "Give me four hundred Lancasters, and I'll end the war in six months!" was a remark I've seen attributed to one some would call the luckiest war criminal in Christendom....

"Ummm....did you get this from Herman Goering's book?"

No, Stormin' Norman's. Unless, your're suggesting the US military have been influenced by....nah..

:)