Author Topic: Have you seen this before?  (Read 418 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Have you seen this before?
« on: February 08, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
I don't want to call this Niki flyer a cheat but it sure was suspiscious. I engaged him on three seperate sorties. All three times I had several chances for some very good and easy hits, my rounds looked to be going into his plane but no flashes. I even had an excellent can't miss 20 degree deflection shot at slow speed pass and unloaded all 6 guns. He passed directly in front of my stream and not a single flash on his plane.  I know it was the same pilot on all three sorties because I kept watch on him and saw that he was making kills, yet he was also being KILLED too. So you tell me, what the heck. Perhaps my connection to his was bad. He was not warping. I am not a bad shot with well over 9% hit percentage. I kniow when my shots should hit. very starnge.

fscott

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
I had an encounter with a well flown N1k several night back.  I was using an F6F.

N1K turned up to me as I turned down to him trying get a in a rear aspect position with about 1000 seperating us in distance and maybe 500 in altitude.  It went like this:
Engaged at about 5k made a high deflection snapshot first go round.  Circled down and in, made another snapshot but with better angles.  Went one more cycle like this with another late snapshot before snap rolling into the blue stuff at about 50 feet altitude.

The N1K never fired a shot but what tickled me was that the N1K appeared to pass right through the bullit stream on the first two of the three bursts and never showed any hit flashes.

The guns exposure on the N1K was probably 1/10 of a second on first two bursts with the third burst being off by a good margin.

The N1K just got lucky.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 02-08-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
Sounds to me like lag on one of your ends.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
yes fscott, I hace seen it before. it was a N1K as well and the last time I was in B17 and he was about 0.5K behind me. he was right on my 6 oclock level, and it looked as if my rounds where going right through his plane.
he shot me down and I reupped in a B17 returned to the scene of the alledged crime with film rolling, but he was gone and did not come back.   but you can bet I will try to remember to have the film rolling from now on. to many rounds fired at him from to close a distance well flying a B17, something is a foul here.

Now I am not going to give this persons call sigh as I can not prove anything. and I will not say anything well online should I see it again, wheather I have film or not. should I see this again and have film of it, I will just send it to HTC and let them sort it out.

fscott, I do hope you do the very same, as I know what you where probably thinking at the time it happened, as I was probably thinking the same think.

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Yes I was it's impossible not to think that. Especially with three seperate sorites and engaging this guy each time. He didn't complain of me warping and he was smooth also. Maybe the Niki really IS a paper airplane and the bullets just pass through without casusing damage.

fscott

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Hit flashes are a result of what happens on your front end.  The enemy cannot do anything that would prevent you from hitting him on your FE.  Basically, if your FE sees the plane, it should be able to hit it.  If it is not, there is something wrong with the hit bubble or your aim.  Neither would be something controlled by the other player.

If hit flashes were appearing, but no damage was occuring... then its another story.  There are many more possibilities for loss of data in that situation.

AKDejaVu

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
Had this happen to me before too. Don't remember the plane that I was shooting at, but the bullet stream literally went right through him. I asked HT how this was possible and he didn't know.

However, I highly doubt it's a hack because all of the hit detection is done on your FE. This would require his computer to have a hack that sends information to your FE to tell your FE that his plane is only a visual object and does not have any damage parameters (ie: does not exist to things that can damage it). This kind of hack would be, well I guess implausible to say the least.

It might just be a bug in the FE when something goes awry, only the visual model of the plane is showing while the hit detection model has vanished(?)...

I dunno, but I have seen it before and I do know how to shoot and how to lead.
-SW

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
Just to clarify....

Hit flashes are strictly the result of guns fired on your FE hitting an image on your FE.  There is no interaction with the server required to see hit flashes.

Transmitting those hits to the other player and relaying damage information is the job of the server.

AKDejaVu