Author Topic: New pc and.....  (Read 589 times)

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
New pc and.....
« on: May 31, 2002, 10:52:37 AM »
Upgraded me old pc to a nice HP P4 2.2Ghz,256mb and GeForce 4Mx 440 64mb card,getting lovely fps in AH average about 74fps to 45-60 in cloud,BUT! for some damn reason when I bank or turn its slightly 'jerky' its enough to be noticed, I cant think of why this is happening,anyone had similar probs?? helllp! :/
Joc

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2002, 01:05:22 PM »
running zonealarm?

SKurj

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
New pc and.....
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 03:34:02 PM »
Yup that was my first thought as well, If I run ZA with AH my FPS tells me one thing but my overall experience tells me something totally different. Also If I run the "United Devices" Cancer Research agent (I know some AH flyers subscribe to this) I get similar results.

TTFN
snafu

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 06:25:57 PM »
Yeah,Im running Zonealarm Pro,but I did same with old pc and no problems at all,I might try new drivers for my 3d card,heheh I knew something had to go wrong with the new puter! :rolleyes:
Joc

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
New pc and.....
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 09:03:52 PM »
Zone alarm seems to hate some setups, my brother runs my old PC with ZA all the time, not a flicker of a stutter, my new (old now) PC abhors it. FPS readings are identical with ZA loaded or not but playability sucks.

TTFN
snafu

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 11:02:24 PM »
yeah I 'think' its the little system bar flashing icon, somehow interfering with AH and video resources...

This is with ZoneAlarm.  I could not use ZA myself while playin

SKurj

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2002, 10:00:47 AM »
As some know, I was getting discoed like 65 or 70 times this month alone all of a sudden. Disabled ZA this morning and all seems fine or at least much better.............  Hope that's it

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 06:33:52 AM »
Hmmm okay Ill try turnin it off,Ive always wondered,do I really need it,I mean,how bad IS the threat to my pc without Zonealarm,I got Adsl so I suppose I do need it...
cheers for the help :)
Joc

Offline Ogun

• Copper Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2002, 08:36:55 AM »
I used ZA for about two years and realized it's much more of a headache than it's worth (especially with surfing and xp).  Instead I've gone to Tiny Personal Firewall which leaves my resources free pretty much.  Works like a champ and you get the same quality (and even more tweakable [but automated if you choose] options)

GL

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2002, 12:38:11 PM »
I used to use free ZA but too many problems with AH. I switched to free Sygate and no problems at all. TPF is also good.  Check this liink. http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm from Steve Gibsons Leak Test.

LEAK-PROOF  (SAFER)  PERSONAL FIREWALLS
Firewall Considerations, versions, etc.
McAfee Firewall v 2.15+ — Update to get version 2.15 or later
Sygate Personal FW (FREE) v 4.0+ — FREE for personal use!
Symantec / Norton  v 2.55+ — LiveUpdate to get version 2.55  
Tiny Personal FW (FREE) v 2.0.7+ — FREE for personal use!  
ZoneAlarm (FREE) Never Leaked
ZoneAlarm Pro Never Leaked

DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2002, 12:59:48 PM »
Geforce4 MX lacks all Dx8 functions so I wouldn't be surprised if it started bugging out with AH.

MX is a very bad buy.. you can get a Ti4200 for the same money and it will beat it here and back.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2002, 01:44:38 PM »
Ripley... WHAT A LOAD O CRAP +)

If ya can get a 4200 instead of an MX sure go ahead, but I doubt they are as cheap as gf4 mx 440's

The MX card may not be fully dx8 compliant BUT, ALOT of guys have been using gf2 mx's for along time in AH and they have never given a problem.  AH doesn't support anything (so far) that an MX doesn't.

SKurj

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2002, 01:51:02 PM »
Skurj I don't see any reason to buy a raped piece of hardware for practically the price of the real deal..

Not to mention in the near future when dx8 pure hardware games start coming in, the MX's will crap out with them.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
New pc and.....
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2002, 04:27:29 AM »
Yeah,Ill be getting a more powerful GeForce 4 when funds permit me,getting this pc has kinda wiped me out hehehe,bought another 256mb DDR yesterday which has helped out with things a lot,strangely enough,while flying trying to figure out this 'stuttering/jerking' it 'seems' to be tied in with having Clutter ON,I turned it off and things are fine now,I never liked the clutter effects on land anyway,it only looks good over water,on the subject of GeForce 4 MXs,you should have seen the one that came with the new Pc lol,it was BAD,I ripped that out and put the 440 in, IL2 runs smoother than a smooth thing now so Im happy :D
Joc

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
New pc and.....
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2002, 08:07:26 AM »
I think he removed his sheep from the case :D.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com