Author Topic: Spits, N1K2 and 110G2  (Read 565 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2002, 01:23:58 PM »
Re: Spit deceleration

Nothing about airplanes (or the world in general) is linear.  Anybody who tells you something is linear is making an approximation.

Planes will slow down in level flight when they are above their maximum level speed.  The higher the speed, the greater the deceleration.  If a Spit 9 dives to 400 mph and levels out on the deck, it's 80 mph over its level top speed and will slow down very quickly.

And if you were in a Dora on the deck with WEP on, your top speed is about 380.  So if you started at about 350 and the Spit started at 400, the Spit would slow down drastically while you would speed up gradually.  This would make the Spit get closer at first and then fall back at a faster and faster rate until you both reached your equilibrium (maximum sustained) level speeds.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2002, 01:29:28 PM »
I think you got the grand prize funkedup.  That makes plenty of sense.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2002, 01:31:05 PM »
Its all about Machismo, ego.  Pilot A thinks he's damn good.  Meets Pilot B.  Pilot B shoots down Pilot A.  Pilot A never heard of Pilot B, so Pilot A blames the fact that he was shot down due to aircraft performance not the skill of Pilot B.  Pilot A comes and spouts out on the BBS justifying (and glorifying in some cases) his ego problem.

Some guys just have too big of ego to fit in a bubble canopy.(Don't ya just hate mirrors? ;) )

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2002, 01:36:30 PM »
Animal, the F6F was vaporised, a second F6F was also shotdown, but I was firing only with a single 151/20, then I noticed the ROF.

Si lo entiendes mejor en espaņol (lo dudo), avisa y te lo traduzco.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2002, 02:00:54 PM »
FunkedUp,

I think its a bit more complex than that, but that is basically correct.

As an example of a bit more complex, the N1K2-J and Mosquito Mk VI have very nearly the same top WEP speed on the deck (336mph for the N1K2 and 338mph for the Mossie), yet the Mosquito holds its speed longer than does the N1K2 due to its superior aerodynamics.  At least that's what I think happens.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2002, 02:03:58 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
Animal, the F6F was vaporised, a second F6F was also shotdown, but I was firing only with a single 151/20, then I noticed the ROF.

Si lo entiendes mejor en espaņol (lo dudo), avisa y te lo traduzco.

No I get it, didnt read well, but still, there is no excuses doing head on with that plane. You should always win against any plane.

It simply has the best firepower in the sim.
No arguing over the hispanos or .50

110G-2 owns any plane on the head on, simply aim at their general direction at 700 yards and pull the trigger for four seconds.

Anyways its moot, as I dont see how the head-on thing has anything to do with the nik and spit thing, other than some obscure reference to the allied-conspiracy.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2002, 02:18:33 PM »
ergRTC:

I beg to differ.  This is not like a discussion on BFM.  Relative aircraft performance discussions are an objective topic and should be treated as such and with care.  Take for instance some comments I've seen in the recent past-  one person says plane x is a good turner while another says plane x is a bad turner.  Without any objectivity the discussion turns into a debate that ends up full of myths and half-truths that only serve to confuse the AH community.  

Discussions relating to a/c performance based on perceptions usually lead to myths, half-truths, and un-truths.   This helps no one and hurts the entire AH community.  It hurts the credibility of HTC in marketing to the sim community.  It hurts us in AH trying to learn and improve because we base our lessons on myths.  Care must be taken on the topic.

Funked:  
Nice summation on Spit decelaration.  You explained my technical gibberish in understandable english.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2002, 02:26:31 PM »
I dont buy it for a moment.  There is no reason why a player should not be able to mention things they notice in the game, whatever they are.  Mandobles comments were simply on some things he had observed while flying.  He was careful not to make any whines are accusations about anything.  I think some of you are attaching baggage to his comments.  This is general discussions, i think his comments are perfectly reasonable and interesting.  

I am also interested in why no one has attempted to explain the synchs in the 110.  The only comments on that so far is some x-files comment.  Now that is something I am curious about as well.  I remember the power the ki had when its cannons could empty in a blink.  If the 110g is not getting an accurate rate of fire that should be looked at.  If its rof should actually be higher (that is what i get from the post) imagine the ho power..........

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2002, 02:50:53 PM »
Karnak
Mass is important too.  When you are at speeds way over the equilibrium speed for the current altitude, drag is way bigger than thrust for a prop plane.  So it's basically a fight between drag and inertia.  If two planes have the same drag and thrust, the heavier one will hold its speed longer.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2002, 03:10:54 PM »
Because ergRTC simply doing a small offline test would show that the ROF on the 110g is the same as the g10 center cannon, both of which significantly faster than the 190d9's.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2002, 03:15:50 PM »
---I lost all of my guns except
                            one 151/20. I was surprised cause that alone gun had the same ROF as the root wing mounted
                            ones of the 190s, and these are synchronized. 110G2 nose 20mm guns should have same ROF as

the 109G10 one, AFAIK 110G2 nose guns are not synchronized. With all the guns, the effect is
                            like firing with a single unsynchronized gun with very hi ROF, like if one gun fires just after the
                            other generating a continuous bullet stream.---

How did you get rid of your other guns during the test?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2002, 03:30:46 PM »
ergRTC,

He did a HO with an F6F-5.  The F6F-5 kindly removed all his guns except the single MG151/20 before being blown to bits.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2002, 03:31:03 PM »
I just fired the pair of 20mm for 1 minute, then took the expended ammo and divided it in half.  Then repeated with the 4x20mm setup.  Then did the 109g10, then the 190d9.  The g10 and 110g 151/20 fired at 702 rounds per minute (both in the 2x20 and 4x20 setup for the 110g-2) while the d9 came in at 632.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2002, 04:37:16 PM »
ergRTC:

Any player is free to make whatever comments they want to make.  When a player makes subjective comments on objective topics then they are inviting themselves to critique regarding objectivity.

I never said nor implied Mandoble was whining.  I merely stated that his attempt at aircraft comparisons is meaningless.

What conclusion is Mandoble making about the N1K2 vs 190D9?  Obviously he attempted to make some comparison between the two and left it open for anyone to make a conclusion. Comparisons are best done objectively.  When they aren't you end up with meaningless comparisons and conclusions such as in this case.    

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
Spits, N1K2 and 110G2
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2002, 04:42:12 PM »
I dont know, I just found out that the 110 rof was the  same as the g10, and that great little bit about deceleration.  I found out a quick and easy way to check rate of fire.  And got to watch a couple of you guys get all huffy and upset for no particular reason.........  Seems like a good post to me......