Author Topic: Collisions. How do they work?. Film included :)  (Read 623 times)

Offline RRAM

• Nickel Member
Collisions. How do they work?. Film included :)
« on: June 21, 2002, 08:31:40 AM »
Ok, lets see.

I've been having quite serious trouble lately on my ropes and vertical crossings where I use to crash a lot into the other plane...too much because I always try to give some clearence with the other player. I've crashed in vertical crossings at least 5 times in 3 days,and I've been killed in all of them...and in most of them I'd have sweared I had NOT collided at all with the other plane.

I don't use film that much so I never could be sure about it, but today I've got the chance to see it. I  saw a La5 killing a friendly, when I saw the name "fariz" in the text buffer, I hit immediately the Filmer and engaged him -I love filming fights against great pilots :)-. We (Fariz and us, we were two knits ;)) had a very nice fight indeed ( again, Fariz, nice moves!), wich ended abruptly in a way I'm too familiar with lately...vertical cross, crash, and bye bye.

Again I had my doubts. In fact I was all too sure I had never touched him. Turned out I was right ;)

Film is
here .

The film is of the whole engagement, I tried to cut the single scene of our cross and put it into a different film, but dunno why the film editor doesn't work as intended, and the enemy plane is not where it should be.

In that film you can check the vertical cross and see I NEVER hit Fariz's La5FN, at all. I've taken the screenshot of the cross so you can see we never touched each other:

Slightly before crossing:

Just after crossing:

As you see, my tail (wich fell later) stays well clear from Fariz's plane.

You can check the film too, pause on the cross moment and check it. In no angle it shows any kind of collision.

Fariz said in the text buffer he had not hit me. He also  told me later that, in his FE he'd have said that he had not collided with me either.

In the end, it seems, my plane fell because...nothing. I never got hit, and I didn't touch that La5.

So, well, is there any explanations on this?...is the only fight I've filmed with this end, but I've died several times in a similar fashion -and I think I'm not the only one-.

So, well if in my FE I didn't collide, in his FE he didn't collide with me, and if he didn't hit me...what happened?.

Thanks in advance :)

[edited] links were not working, uploaded to other server, and added a second pic to better illustrate my point.

[edited2] Hblair, there will be no augering in this thread, of anyone, if you give an honest opinion, look at the proof I've posted and stop posting stupid personal offtopic stuff. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2002, 09:00:33 AM by RRAM »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 08:35:20 AM »
It's been a long time since we had a good knee-slappin' RAM thread. :) Wonder how long this will go til it augers in.

Offline Witless

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 09:13:31 AM »
Hi,

I can't answer your questions directly but I'm a bit dubious about the whole collision thing also. Common consensus as you point out, is that your FE will show the collision and that in effect collisions are avoidable. I've no film to back it up but I know I've flown through the middle of planes before without any damage (rarely though) plus like you, no collision on my FE but a completely destroyed aircraft after the merge (seemingly more damage than 1 snap shot could inflict). I've only been here since Feb/March though so what do I know? ;) I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Cheers
Witless/Trikky

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 09:16:34 AM »
Looks like the bullets wizzing by you might have sawed your tail off?

Offline RRAM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 09:23:05 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Looks like the bullets wizzing by you might have sawed your tail off?

There were/ is no hit sound, at all, on my plane, and the bullet trails you see in the shots were mine, not his :)

and in any case Fariz assured me online he had got no hits on me at all. :)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 09:33:07 AM »
Ok, I can't contain it.

It has to be the backwards firing typhoon hack!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 09:33:14 AM »
Why do some expect perfection regarding AH? Don't ya know that nothing in this life is perfect, especially computers, the internet and most assuredly, HT:)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 09:35:20 AM »
I think Ram deserves an explanation personally...its clear that they had plenty of clearance of one another.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2002, 09:38:33 AM »
Fariz has said he typically has 700ms ping. A ping that high produces weird effects like tails being sawed off with the shooter pointing away etc. things.

My guess is that fariz did hit you and his lag played tricks on your FE. If you go into fariz's plane in film viewer you'll notice he's pointing at your plane and shooting.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline AvidMC

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2002, 09:39:01 AM »
As a jug driver I get more headons then I would care to admit to. I have found that anytime you go nose to nose with another driver it's a crap shoot. Someimes your number comes up and you fly away with the kill, others times you crap out. Lat night I was up in a B-26, which is verry uncommon for me but fun all the same, and I turned into an attack from Pinner in a 109. On my FE I was a fire ball and he just kept on flying. In short, HO at your own risk.

Avid

Offline RRAM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2002, 09:44:45 AM »
Hblair: I won't answer you as your attitude deserves. In fact I won't answer you at all.

Originally posted by Rude
Why do some expect perfection regarding AH? Don't ya know that nothing in this life is perfect, especially computers, the internet and most assuredly, HT:)

I don't expect perfection rude. I certainly don't. :)

But I would assume that what that film shows is not correct (you could call it a bug?), and is not an one-time event. It happens more than what I would like, so I've reported it so it can be explained and/or fixed if it is a bug (which I would say it is).

Rude, If found something is bassically not right -I would say that what the film shows is not right-, I filmed it and posted it into a reasoned thread so it may be corrected by HTC if possible.

What do you suggest me to do, Rude?. Ignoring it and not reporting it at all, so if there is a possible fix, it doesn't happen because noone has posted proof?.

Anyway I'm running off topic here. Just I am extremely surprised at some answers I see.

P.S. Thanks Rip...

Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Fariz has said he typically has 700ms ping. A ping that high produces weird effects like tails being sawed off with the shooter pointing away etc. things.

My guess is that fariz did hit you and his lag played tricks on your FE. If you go into fariz's plane in film viewer you'll notice he's pointing at your plane and shooting.

Reasoned answer,  but still misses the point MrRipley. Fariz said he didn't hit me, and In the film there are no soulds from bullet hits, at all.

Even with extreme lag, the "pings" of the hits are heard in the game and in the film. There are no such pings, so I assume there are no hits. And I have the own fariz saying he's not hit me.

so...no-- Nope, Fariz hitting me is not an explanation  as far as I can tell :)

Add to the fact,that this is happening with more guys. Yesteday happened twice to me, and I was sure at the moment I had not crashed at all (but as I got no film to back my words, I simply say what I think, nothing else)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2002, 09:48:41 AM by RRAM »

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2002, 09:47:59 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]

Yes, but do not explain this one. If we crash on my FE, I die, not him. On my FE we were clear, but really close. I also did not saw any pings sprites.

Probably explanation is that I pinged him when we were really close, because I had few ammo, and fired only when were REALLY close. Did not saw pings, but when very close it happens sometimes.

Fariz

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2002, 09:48:44 AM »
Yup, I see the problem... it's that damn Dweeb9 you're in and that Lame7 Fariz is in.

Two dweebs can not occupy the same airspace at any one time, otherwise it offsets the balance of the Dweebiverse and planes randomly fall apart based on their dweebiness.

Atleast that's how I think it works.
-SW

Offline RRAM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2002, 09:53:49 AM »
Originally posted by Fariz

Probably explanation is that I pinged him when we were really close, because I had few ammo, and fired only when were REALLY close. Did not saw pings, but when very close it happens sometimes.

Fariz

thanks for posting ,fariz :).

Humm, I know you fired close...but if you saw no pings...and in the film there are no hit sounds...

That would mean you didn't hit me with the guns. Hit sounds are played in the game, aswell in films. No sounds of pings in this film at all :(

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2002, 09:54:33 AM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Yup, I see the problem... it's that damn Dweeb9 you're in and that Lame7 Fariz is in.

Two dweebs can not occupy the same airspace at any one time, otherwise it offsets the balance of the Dweebiverse and planes randomly fall apart based on their dweebiness.

Atleast that's how I think it works.
-SW

Wulfe, may be this theory is correct, but not this time. Actually I was in la5 :)

Fariz