Author Topic: Request for 1.09: Bring back crater damage  (Read 766 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Request for 1.09: Bring back crater damage
« on: November 05, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
I'm amused to see M16s and Flak Panzers drive THRU the 4000 pound bomb crater I just dropped.  Wouldn't that be a good-sized swimming pool?  At any rate, that would be a heck of a drop, wouldn't you agree?  Put a 4k bomb in a Vehicle Spawn point and whenever they up, down they gooooo....

I'd just like to see craters cause damage.  Its a bit silly to see aircraft and GVs rolling THROUGH what should be, impressive ditches and suffering sever landing gear/prop/engine damage.

Apparently we had crater damage as a fluke a while back, I remeber seeing guys trying to get airborne before approaching a cratered spot on the runway, or folks veering off onto the grass to up.  Shutting down a runway is just as much strategy as blasting hangars.

Anyways, that's my thought....yours?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Runway cratering was a VERY temporary setback in ww2, as it should be in AH, the only thing is, someone forgot to tell the players they HAVE to use a runway to takeoff..

SKurj +)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
As a temporary setback it would be great. I am all for it but the only time I have ever seen it done right is over in the game Fighter Ace 2. The length of crater effects is ~5 minutes and they have a speed set of ~8-12mph for being able to safely travel through them. However in AH you would need to do the same to taxiways as well since they have been used as takeoff areas in urgent times of scramble for me.

That was about the only good thing they had in the game. Plus in "events" or player run scenarios you could make the areas off the runway non-taxiable (I know its not a word). That made the bombing of runways a viable stratgeic option as well as a viable tactical one.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
We also used film as a bomb damage assesment tool between frames to decide strategic closure for scoring between frames. Bomb craters within the area of the target could count in this:depending on the rules of the scenario in question. It was used in Ploesti, for example.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Yup am up for that one asked that back then and I still want it (along with 190F8's bombs ,ain't I persistant?).

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
I'd like to see it too.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
ditto!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
It was that way in WB, I'm confused as to why it does not exist here.

There's a small bump when you hit a crater, but at 50MPH the the plane at the very least should flip over.
-SW

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
Agreed....bring back crater damage!!

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Rojo

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2001, 05:05:00 PM »
I agree.  As regards the use of off-runway areas, I would suggest that planes should bog down in the non-prepared areas if they're over a certain weight. Bombers, for instance, should always bog down (we used to have this in WB as well, where you could not get up to flying speed off the runway, though you could taxi very slowly).  A light fighter like a Spit or an unladdened swallow could get airborn from the grass, but not a fully loaded Jug.

I think all ground textures should have a "stiction" rating set by the terrain designer.  This would effect how sticky the ground, i.e. how hard it is to move across it.  Not only would it effect airplanes ground handling, but also vehicles and ditching results.  For instance, gray texture could be set with a high stiction value, to represent very rocky and broken terrain.  Planes could not taxi on it above a speed of 5 miles per hour, and would break up if you tried to ditch on it. Likewise, only fully tracked vehicles could roll on it, and then only slowly.

Offline Nordman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
I say bring back the crater damage. I've started training on runway bombing already, and I hope I'm not doing it for nothing.

The other night I upped a B17 with 12x500's, was about to drop on ammo, fuel and dar, but I changed my mind. I thought I could practice a bit on runwaybombing. I know 500's could be a bit much to damage runway, no?
Anyway, I set salvo to 12 (everything I had) and changed delay to 0.7, lined up on the runway and.. That was actually fun, hearing the bombs drop with 0.7 seconds in between them. I'm sure 1 second would work even better, cover a wider strip. Anyway, the runway looked like something I wouldn't try to take-off at, now that's for sure. Then I got slightly pissed, because this pretty work didn't affect the planes taking off, although I saw 4 maybe 5 planes explode and no kill message came up. Could it be that crater damage is implented again? If not, what'r you waiting for??

-XroverX

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2001, 09:13:00 PM »
Glad to see others agree

I mean, watch war footage from all over the place...modern air forces use bombs like the Durundal (sp?)...nasty bomb, parachutes down then rockets deep into the runway...THEN explodes, making one helluva hole.

Runways, like towns and anything else at a base, are a strategic assett.  If the runway looks like the moon, nothing's going to make it outta there.  Down time should be similar to that of the city (how fast can you refill a hole and smooth it out?).

I can already hear folks like Laz whining we buffs are ruining his fun...but as it is now, driving thru craters is just silly.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2001, 09:54:00 PM »
i agree bring it back

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2001, 10:28:00 PM »
Somehow I knew lazs would get mentioned...
BTW, I like the idea of cratering, but think it should be implemented along with some bomb dispersion.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2001, 01:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul:
Durundal (sp?)

Durandal  ;)