Author Topic: OT Adopt a soldier  (Read 369 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« on: November 05, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
This is a bit off topic but I am posting here to catch those who wouldn't see it in the O'Club.

Quite a few of us say we support our troops in this and all conflicts. many don't have any idea how they can tangibly do so. There is an organization that exists to let you reach out and help support a soldier in a real and meaningful way. This isn't empty flag waving or posting mere messages on a bbs most soldiers never see. This is a way to lend your support for real.

A web site known as adoptasoldier.com lets you have a way to write to a particular soldier on active duty. This means you can help let them know they are supported and that someone cares about them. You sign up and this organization will pair you up with a soldier that might not otherwise get ANY mail from home. remember these men and women are usually far from home and the familiar world they knew. They may be in harms way or prepping for it. They need to have some contact from the homeland that lets them know they are appreciated and that someone gives a damn about them.

Please sign up and help them through this tough time. If you are a vet, use your experiance to mentor a junior soldier. They often need someone to talk to and express themselves whare they can't in the unit. Give them te advantage of YOUR experiance and help them to succeed.

Here is the web address again. Sorry I don't know how to post a link. Perhaps another more puter literate person could do that on this thread.
 www.adoptasoldier.com

PS I signed up today after seeing the service was back up. It was discontinued briefly over the anthrax scare.  :(

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
Yes, please adopt me. I'm lonely and just want someone to talk to  :)

Offline stomper3

• Zinc Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
LOL!!!!

This time certainly US wins the game!!!!!

CHEKC OUT THE "POETRY SECTION"!!!!!

LOL @ US!!!  :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

/stomp out!

Offline stomper3

• Zinc Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »
Poor lil US Naval aviators having to be 20k over Afghanistan killing women and children, carpet bombing a country that is in an evolutionary state the US never been to !!

(S!)

More school children to "cherísh" these heroes!! More poems!

Goebbels drafted in US propaganda department??

Not antiamerican, and loads of grief for 9-11, but this certainly is too much!!

/stomp out...again  :confused:

Offline TUCKO6

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.tripod.com/~tuck_06/index-10.html
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
excellent idea!

i was (and still am) lucky enough to have a caring family, but when i was in the gulf, i still received a few letters from people back here in the states due to the massive "to any solider" program.  and let me tell you, even though i received letters from family and friends, it meant as much to me to receive letters of support from those i didn't know.  it showed me that, apart from those that i KNEW that cared, it meant a helluva lot to know that other's did as well.  therefore, i can only guess how much it would mean to those who aren't as lucky as i was during that time to know they're thought of.

again, EXCELLENT idea, and thanks for the post.  i'm off to sign up now, and encourage others who care to do the same!  :)

Offline TUCKO6

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.tripod.com/~tuck_06/index-10.html
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
i just caught your reply stomper, and i'm not going to get into this, and reply all you want to MY post (this one), because it'll just be ignored...but people like you make me sick!  it makes me ill to think that people who are serving our country today are protecting some POS such as yourself!  but, i guess that's what makes them BETTER than YOU could EVER hope to be.  

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. AND IT'S ARMED FORCES!

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: TUCKO6 ]

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
All kidding aside, I agree Tuck. I received 3 or 4 letters from total strangers during Desert Storm and they meant alot to me to know that folks actually cared. Stomper...get bent.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
Any of you come anywhere near Raub, and I'll bust your chops... he's mine! I haven't invested all this time and energy in him to have some smooth talking newbie steal my GI!!!

:)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2001, 10:34:00 PM »
Stomper,

You really don't have a fediddleing clue about the real world do you? Time you grew up.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
Please donate money to me, don't need letters  :) SimFreak777@hotmail.com

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2001, 01:10:00 AM »
I guess I already adopted a few... National Guard has taken over my office at the airport.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »
Stomper had proven he IS nothing more than a troll... and a poor one at that.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2001, 06:40:00 AM »
Oh...as I stated in the OC there is an indiv who flys Bish who goes by the handle of Stomper. I suggest we find out IF this is the same indiv... if so then we direct the AH community to read his crap. Perhaps he'll reap what he sows.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by batdog:
Oh...as I stated in the OC there is an indiv who flys Bish who goes by the handle of Stomper. I suggest we find out IF this is the same indiv... if so then we direct the AH community to read his crap. Perhaps he'll reap what he sows.

xBAT

Hmmmmmmmmmm ...

nothing tasty as a witch hunt ...

Btw event if I dont agree with Somper he has the right to express his opinion at leats he don't use bomb !

//wearing flame suit
VIVA the greek colonels !
VIVA Amin dada (we put our own dictator in France   ;))

Who need democratia ?

Do you thing the people thoses country were in love with France or USA when under dictature ?
Open your eyes.

If you support a dictator you are a target for the rebel even if you believe that you are on the good side ... as it's not allways obvious  :D.

PS: nice post SwampRat

I'm one of those people Tuck, soon to be headed for some "other land". While I will gladly defend stomper's FREEDOM to post things as such, I also go to bed with a smile each night knowing I'm defending lots of toejamheads, no problem, toejamheads need defending too so don't let it bother you.

During "Desert Storm" one of the coolest things I did was answer letters to a few families that had "adopted" me. It's a hell of a nice gesture and makes a guy feel good, especially during the Holidays, thats when it gets bad.

I encourage everyone to sign up!

Tumor

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: straffo ]

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
OT Adopt a soldier
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
Straffo coming from you I expect nothing else. He has posted this crap thus if he has ANY balls at all.. let him deal with it. If you cant handle this thing called accountablity then perhaps you need to shut your pie hole as well...

xBAT

AKDejaVu