Author Topic: Whats the stats of a FW190-A5?  (Read 8260 times)

funked

Whats the stats of a FW190-A5?
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2000, 05:50:00 PM »
I agree Jekyll, the more that is known about the condition of the aircraft, the more I believe a pilot's report.

The problem is that even the pilots in tightly controlled tests frequently disagreed in their qualitative (subjective) findings.

Heck the variation in quantitative (numbers) findings is amazing.

-lazs-

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2000, 10:08:00 AM »
So funked.... Shouldn't a Hog 1D with 140 gallons of fuel climb 4000 fpm then?  

Course If you go down to 70 gallons of fuel for the 190A4/5 and Hog you get....4.8 lbs per hp for the Hog and 4.8 lbs per hp for the 190.
lazs

funked

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
An F4U-1D with that amount of fuel should climb somewhere between 2000 and 4000 fpm at sea level using water injection.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-06-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
Of course captain browns observations are suspect. They may be the best most honest numbers we will ever get but they are still suspect.
Were the british planes he compared against  made by slaves then captured, flown by yahoos to test the absolute structural limit of the planes for 3 years and then oh by the way lets kick start this thing and see how it compares against this new tuned spit IX.? No they were new and tuned and serviced by RollsRoyce mechanics I bet. Did they invite the DB team to the
meet?  

They may be the best numbers we have. And we owe a debt to Capt Brown for collecting them, but we really have to look at the source.( I am sure Pyro does)
This might all be bull...I havent read his book.....

-lazs-

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2000, 08:58:00 AM »
Hehee, getting clever in your old age eh ya ol gigolo?
lazs

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
The A-5 was lengthened to fix a CG problem that would arise when they fitted bigger guns to the plane. What's that got to do with mirrors?

Can anyone tell me what rpm/boost settings the British would use for climb tests?

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2000, 07:27:00 PM »
I ducked out of this thread several days ago when I saw it going technical. I confess, I am not knowledgeable on the specific performance of any WWII fighter aircraft. I just know the general stuff. I would tend to believe whatever someone like funked says about the FW190. I know that he was Luftwaffe over in WB's and seems to have read a lot on the plane.

Having said all that, I hope the 190A5 doesn't get overmodeled. I will fly it no matter how much a b*tch it is. I also like 109's. I've been flying them since the first night of Aces High open beta. Even back in the days when everybody squeaked about them being undermodeled.

All this competition between the RAF's and LW's can add to the fun in an Historical Arena here,(hopefully coming soon) but too much of it is gonna turn this into the toejamhole that AGW is right now. These Aces High boards have been pretty tame ever since the game came out, except for the occasional crackhead that gets slammed.

Some of you need to look at how guys like funked handles himself on these things and learn to be just a little bit more tactful IMO.

...and no, funked I don't want your Bud Light.  

------------------
hblair,
<===<The ASSASSINS>===>
  The_ASSASSINS@egroups.com  

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 05-07-2000).]

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2000, 01:31:00 AM »
Juzz,

On Merlins, the max climbing (1 hour limit) is +12/2850 rpm.  Combat setting (5 minutes) is anywhere from +15 (Merlin 45/61) to +18 (Merlin 45M/63/66 etc) at 3000 rpm.  Maximum continuous is +7/2650 rpm.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2000, 03:37:00 AM »
Actually, many thanks to funked for a heap of great data he sent me privately.

One thing though.  In my ignorance I always assumed that we had a 190A8 equipped with MW50.

Funked has, however, enlightened me that the AH A8 may well be the 'Sturmbock' version - heaps of armour, no MW50.

Which probably explains why it climbs like a brick, has relatively poor acceleration, and bleeds so badly in anything other than a 1g turn.

Oh well, back to my P-51 it seems  

-lazs-

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2000, 08:08:00 AM »
A5 has bigger guns than A4?  The motor mounts were lengthened on the A5 to reduce some of the engine vibration.
lazs

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
Lazs, there's a few more factors to climb than HP and weight  

(The words "drag" and "lift" comes to mind)

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group

funked

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2000, 09:22:00 AM »
Lazs, my understanding is that the engine was moved forward to keep the CG from moving too far aft.  The Jerries were experimenting with all kinds of internal and external armament on the 190, which tended to move the CG aft.  The longer nose not only moved the unloaded CG forward, it allowed them to locate the centerline stores rack further forward.

The AFDU said the engine on their A-3 ran roughly.  Other than that I don't find any mention of engine vibration problems.  Most of the problems I have read about are cooling issues on the A-1 and A-2, which caused quite a few engine fires.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-08-2000).]

-lazs-

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2000, 02:11:00 PM »
Grinsell says "the 190A5 differed from the A4 only in that it included lengthened engine mounts to provide increased strength and reduced vibration".... You may be correct about the addition stores thing but the original poster claimed that it was for heavier guns.... Lengthened cowl would make the cowl guns weight even worse on the cg.
lazs

Offline SIFTER

• Zinc Member
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2000, 04:53:00 PM »
The big change between the A-5 and A-4 was to make the airframe more adaptable for field conversion kits.
Juzz,
I have pictures of Luftwaffe aircraft with rearview mirrors. That "no mirrors" for the Luftwaffe is a myth. The Do335 had both sides of its canopy bulged out. What for? The rear view mirrors that were put in there. They could be adjusted from the inside, too. This is one damn long thread! Udie's popcorn should be getting stale by now.   Berserkr

-lazs-

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
Yep the 335 had mirrors so did a lot of the early 109's and some guys put em on their personal 190's.   Never said they didn't have em... Said they thot they were useless.   Vibration was a big factor and there was no really good place to mount them inside in a 109.  Also, unlike the allies, they didn't seem to understand rubber mounting.  The Corsair had 3 mirrors and the canopy was "bulged" out on the sides for the side ones.

Daff... Hehee yeah, I know, just pulling the chain on the "MW 50 makes em climb like a titan" crowd.   The Hog has more lift than the 190 BTW (more drag too).  Still... At the SAME HP/lb level the two planes should climb very closely.   My guess is that the 190 would climb slightly better at low alts and the Hog would gain the advantage at mid and high alts.
lazs