Author Topic: fields need to be closer together  (Read 752 times)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
fields need to be closer together
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
So bombers weren't enough, huh? Now we need to again try and conform to your style of play so you and only you can have fun? You don't give up so easy, do you?  :D  ;)

Nah, just having fun with ya. Closer fields are sorta iffy. Ack running would increase, because you wouldn't have far to run. I suggest if you want closer fields, we need very small outposts, with short grass runways, 1 or 2 canvas hangers, and 2 or 3 acks that are close on the front, and if the front moves, then those bases are shut down due to the personel either leaving or being killed. They could be destroyed, but they'd be spread out liberally over the map. This could give those who want fast action or furballs wouldn't have to go far to get them. This makes everyone happy, because it doesn't change strat or remove bombers. :D  ;)

Is this a good idea?

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
Change every map we have in the rotation.  In the middle of each map, add 3 small fields that only have a strip and indestructible fighter hangar and fuel tanks for 50% fuel (no DTs).  One is bish, one is knit and one is rook.  fields are in a triangle formation about 5-10 miles on a side.  No city (and hence no maproom) either.

With the indestructible hangars, bombers couldn't ruin the furball fun.  With no ordnance and bombers, it couldn't be used as a staging area for strikes.  With the 50% fuel, it's almost pointless to launch a fighter from it to get to provide support at a base even in neighboring sectors.  The bases would never change hands, so there'd always be somewhere to go for quick furball action.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
You know what I mean Laz. I'm confident you rarely saw me above 20K anyway, and you know that I don't really fly a turnfighter either.

When the fields are closer, you end up with this scenario pretty often. My cruise alt is usually 15K. You find a higher con, even Spit/Niki/Yak type of plane. You start to dogfight it, as soon as you gain the edge on him, he dives toward his field. Just by the time you are about to catch up with him on the deck, you are about to enter his field ack or you meet his countrymen who are on the climbout.

I understand your thirst of furballing, but this is no fun either, I sure you can agree with that.

When the fields are further appart (not like in beta map) :D, I noticed people tend to dogfight more when they meet someone, and not necessarily climb all the way they meet someone. Usually they will level and go level cruise to reach the destination faster.

There will always be a furball in AH, any map you see this "highway" between two fields where a constant wave of green goes against a flow of red. Personaly I try to avoid the area, it's not my type of fun.

Would you like HTC to put a furball arena? A little iland with 4 fields for each country very close, with no ack to defend them? Something where resets will be shorts and often? A place where I would never be, but would it float ur boat?
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
Well since Kratzer put it so eloquently a bit earlier here it is.

So you want low alt furballs with some "strategy" mixed in then Fighter Ace 2 is right for you. The bases are all less than 3-5 minutes apart even in bombers at low altitude. Well maybe for a B-25 or any other twin engine medium bomber. You can move easily around to get to rear area bases. You will most likely never fly over 12k in the game, even in a B-17 or Lancaster.

The gameplay was/is crap in FA for my taste (even though it took this old and ancient AW/WB veteran a long time to realize that) and never did you get real answers from the devteam.

So if you want closer bases go try the "full realism" or "intermediate" arenas in Fighter Ace then report on what you find.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TUCKO6

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.tripod.com/~tuck_06/index-10.html
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
i think we all just need a GROUP HUG!  :p

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
Some of you guys need to get a clue.  If fields are closer together a player always has a choice to take off from a field that is a bit further back.  In other words if fields are closer together you can still choose to fly exactly as you fly in the MA now.  If you want to fly 6 minutes ( or whatever) from your take off point to your engagement point you can.  However having the fields closer together does add another option, i.e. the option of a reduced flight time to a fight.

Adding more options doesn't force anybody to fly a certain way.  But restricting options surely does.

Hooligan

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
There's already plenty of furballs full of Spitfires, Niks, and P-51s at 50ft. Fighter Ace has a Free For All arena. Sounds like it would be right up your alley. Start petitioning for another arena. The main is fine as it is.

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2001, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hooligan:

Adding more options doesn't force anybody to fly a certain way.  But restricting options surely does.

Hooligan

What if the option you're adding means less warning of an attack on an airbase, and resultant higher airbase turnover?  Wouldn't it change the way you fly if your base was never more than a minutes' flight away from the nearest source of enemy bombs?

Runny ^Skull^

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
ack running is a non issue in my book.  It is nothing compared to the way things are spread out now.   It is a mercy now to die at an enemy field so that you don't have that long boring flight home with the possibility of some alt weenie, taking a few riskless passes at your crippled, ammoless plane.  If they run to the ack.. let em go.  with closer fields you have plenty of better things to do.  

The farther fields that we have now cause people to be very timid... they either hang close to their feild and safety of their own ack or....  They wait till overwhelming numbers of countrymen are hitting a field and participate in the boring but safe gangbang.   No one wants to strike out on their own to be prey to alt weines or swarms of field huggers.   people would be a little more daring if they thought they could fight, get hurt and still make it back in a reasonable timeframe.  

If you leave for what looks like (on dar) arelatively fair fight, when you get their it will either be a 10 v1 or 1v10 fight... if you find nothing, you have wasted 10 minutes or so in a very boring manner.   If you find a swarm of ack huggers you have wasted 5 minutes or so.   either way.... a waste.

I don't like seperate arenas.  I don't think they work.  I also think that close fields help the turnfighter and early wart planes without harming late war and/or 1 lifer alt weenies.   Fields far apart tho, force people to fly only the fastest planes.

rotor..  I don't care about the "war"  I only care how it is going if it ruins or increases my options.  I realize however that "strat" gives a purpose to things and can actually increase the action.   closer fields would, as I have said, increase participation in "strat" or, at least the appearance of participation.   In other words.. I would be following the front (a faster moving front) and it would "appear" that I was involved in the strat even though I was really only involved in finding melee's for some good fights.
lazs

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2001, 02:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by lazs1:
I would be following the front (a faster moving front) and it would "appear" that I was involved in the strat even though I was really only involved in finding melee's for some good fights.
lazs

I see where you are coming from and I like it.  However, lets face the facts.  Hamsters do care about "the war" AND they multiply faster than the purists do.  So, I applaud your vision but doubt you will see it realized.  In the mean time, alternatives could be implemented if there is enough support.  I guess you dont like them tho.  <S> and I hope yer forehead is stronger than the brick wall.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
rotor.. I believe that you are wrong.  i don't believe that the few who post here are the majority and even at that... at least as many who post want more action than not.   Look at the arena... Any small furball draws a crowd.  They only leave when some attention and skill starved half wit takes down the fighter hangers. and makes for a two sector hide and seek.   I believe that those who don't want closer fields realize this and their comments are fear driven  sorta... whatever you do don't give em choice.

There are workable ways to have both styles in the same arena and....   Have total plane choice with every era of planes being a viable choice..  In their area....I have explained my "area" arena many times.   I believe it is a viable idea.  I have watched many seperate arenas and they are divisive and doomed.
lazs

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
While I do agree with almost everything said so far <gasp!> I am kinda getting tired of anyone who takes down hangers becoming known as "attention starved half wits" Just FYI I think those people who do things like that actually have fun doing it. They are flying the way they want, and since it's their money, they can. I mean think about it...a group of fighters can as easily take down a field as a bomber group can. Are we to assume that these people are also "attention starved half-wits" just because they choose to have fun differently than everyone else? Are they labeld this because they force the furballers to fly elsewhere? I have fun doing bombing runs and jaboing strat targets, so does that make me an "attention starved half-wit" because I choose to fly differently than the fighter guys? I do agree with both sides of the argument here. Fields do not need to be closer togeather for strat guys, but there could be small grass fields unaffected by strat changes for the fighter guys that are scattered throughout the map. This way the fighter guys can enjoy thier furballs while us strat guys can pork strat targets without opposition.

Come on guys, just because someone chooses to enjoy the game differently than someone else dosen't mean y'all have the right to label and shun them. And for those who say "Well, they ruined MY fun because they killed a furball!" well, what's wrong with flying to another? Not enough action? Try this, fly at 300 MPH between trees to the new fight. That's plenty of action.  ;) Let the people who want to enjoy the bombers and strat targets enjoy spending their money. Now, if someone agrees to buy me AH for 2 months, I'll gladly fly their way. Any takers?  :D

That's my stance....

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
texace... I actually got not problem with your idea for the grass fields thing but.... It would prove my point.  The attention starved half wits would simply find something else to do when no one paid any attention to them.   my statement stands... they are unskilled, (by virtue of haveing no skill) attention starved, (by virtue of taking out targets that will bring attention to them and for no other reason) and half wits because.. welll.. they just are.  I didn't make em that way, God did.

I got no problem with anyone enjoying the game any way that they see fit... hide cv's, spy, kill fighter hangers whatever but... it should be very difficult for one person to spoil the fun of many...  Not some talentless milkrun or suicide run.   If you are saying that half wits and talentless need a place to "matter" too... well then we disagree.   They need to earn it like everyone else.
lazs

Offline Aiswulf

• Copper Member
      • http://mdiplo.tripod.com
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2001, 09:52:00 PM »
Laz I've been trying to figure you out here  ;)
You have some good points here and it hardly matters to me if the bases scoot closer together or have realistic distances put between them.
What I don't get is why you think people who aren't interested in furballing everytime all the time are ummm whats the term you use? "no talent attention starved weenies" I beleive  ;)
I don't care if its one or 20 of them but any nme buff in my area gets my attention.
If they are on the way to pork a base I'm working out of thats just the way the ball rolls.
Your view of how the "combat" seems to always work in the arenas strikes me as being just a bit linear and I doubt it seldom works out the way you are saying it does  :)
This coming from someone who has been accused of linear thinking on more than one occasion  :D

Awulf
...1+1=2 1+2=3 1+3=4  ummm hey man what happens when i run outa fingers?....   :p

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2001, 04:47:00 AM »
Simple solution get some friends to build a map the way you like.  Get it balanced, as you see it, for good gameplay, submit to the terrain design team/HTC for final approval and let its merrits be tested in the MA.  If it really sucks, we will know that kind of terrain won't work and HTC will remove it.   If its great, it adds another terrain to the mix, and variety is always good.  Either way I think the community wins.

I personally am willing to try out ANY terrain in the MA for a few rounds.

Jarbo

Jarbo