Author Topic: sort it out  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2002, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Glasses
Hey Udie read your history books. Whatever happened to the Native Americans. The whole history of the Western US was formed on Genocide.

Never said we didn't make mistakes along the way.   Native Americans have there own soil here in America and they play by special rules now.  As far as I know they are pretty much free to do what ever they want (not murder) on the reservations.  We also had slavery, but hey you know what?  We freed them.  And I guaranty that any African American here today is WAY better off than say any country in Africa today.  Point is they are free today...

Also, 11 Million German civilians died thanks to the bombing raids of the Allies  during WW2. Though it is understandable,not excusable, mind you, why it happened of course there were no PGMs back then like we have now so they had to resort to area bombing to reduce the war making potential of the nation.

It's totaly excusable from an American perspective.  We didn't start the war, we didn't want in the war.  We didn't start area bombing we used it as the tool that GERMANY turned it into to stop GERMANY from making war.  Then we saved them from the Russians and helped them turn themselves in to one of, if not the most thriving democracy in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
sort it out
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2002, 09:35:18 AM »
Heck if your gonna bring up the native americans and go back in history, lets dig up Europes peaceful non-violent one:rolleyes:

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
sort it out
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2002, 09:37:19 AM »
Originally posted by Dnil
Heck if your gonna bring up the native americans and go back in history, lets dig up Europes peaceful non-violent one:rolleyes:

hehehehehe!

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
sort it out
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2002, 09:38:21 AM »
Originally posted by Udie Native Americans have there own soil here in America and they play by special rules now.  As far as I know they are pretty much free to do what ever they want (not murder) on the reservations.

A kinda interesting perspective on something called "ethnical cleansing". When Amercians do it, it is ok if the people being driven off gets to do what they want in their "new lands". If someone else tries to do it in...well..I dunno...say Serbia or Bosina, then it becomes a horrible crime and the US gets to bomb any nation of their choice to submission and enforce their will on said nation.

And btw..thanks so very /%#¤¤ much for guaranteeing an independent Bosnia, a muslim enclave with close ties to Iran and Syria is just what we wanted in the middle of Europe.

There was a reason why the EU wanted to stay out of Bosnia you know...

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2002, 09:41:56 AM »
Nashwan that's including directly and inderictly of starvation , disease, etc. that were mainly caused by the bombing raids is what I meant.

I'm confused here. Weren't those deaths, and some 30 million others mainly caused by Adolph Hitler's war of agression?

No Charon they just dropped incendiary and high explosive bombs over their heads killing thousands and wiping off entire towns in one night.

Glasses, I might as well post my standard reply then try to get some work done so I can enjoy our national holiday.

A lot of what we know about the relative success or failure of any bombing approach was learned after the fact. The bombing surveys did not come out until AFTER the war. At the time, both strategic and dehousing were considered to be more successful than they were (at least directly, see ancillary benefits below). [edit: Nashwan also provided some compelling, specific examples of the impact of the bombing campaign on production in that thread] However, they were very successful in some areas (petroleum) and provided at least short-term disruption in most areas attacked -- a week, two weeks, a month -- it all added up.

The terror concept was also still alive and well [as a military philosophy], in some circles at least. Hitler, for example, seems to have held on to it longer than most with his wasteful V-weapon programs. Terror hadn't been "soundly" rejected, though it was certainly questioned.

There were a lot of ancillary factors as well:

1. You have to factor in a reduction in quality, reliability and service life with the weapons produced.

2. You have to factor in the impact on resources with having to defend the homeland. Each plane defending the homeland couldn't be used out East. Each experienced pilot killed couldn't be replaced (some claim that this aspect made the campaign successful in its own right). Even the "bombing round the clock" concept, that started as a sales pitch to save daylight bombardment, caused a increased dilution of the defense infrastructure compared to a daylight only approach. All of these factors made D-day that much easier, the Russian advance that much easier, and helped speed the end of the war.

3. The fact that we don't know what the final German production numbers would have been without the disruption, drain from relocation, death of skilled workers, and the damage of heavy equipment that couldn't be replaced or relocated. Remember too, those surging production numbers late in the war reflect, in part, Germany's belated switch to a war economy and I believe Speer's partial cleaning of up of the corruption and lack of coordination that had plagued German industry earlier. 25 fewer submarines or several hundred fewer Tigers here or there, and the war is that much shorter with fewer allied causalities.

Hindsight is great, but what's the alternative at the time? Allow unhindered production and say: "The lives of my soldiers and sailors and the life and well being of all those people living [and dying daily in great numbers] in the occupied territories is less important than the lives of German civilians who are supporting their country's war of conquest?" How do you sell that to the families of your soldiers, whose husbands and sons wouldn't even be putting their lives on the line in the first place if it wasn't for Axis aggression? In my estimation, a soldier fighting in defense or to liberate occupied lands is no less valuable than a German housewife. And hell, even in America, hardly the worst sufferer of the war, we lost over 3 "World Trade Centers" a month in war dead.

In an industrial war, one lasting half a decade, production has to be stopped. Tanks that are not made don't kill your tank crews. Torpedoes that aren't fired, because a submarine is not in existence to be on station, allow your troops and weapons to arrive where they are needed...

...I've seen similarly horrible pictures of German housewives and children killed in an air raid. That is very tragic and horrible. But I would exchange their lives, as a necessary evil, to save as many lives as possible from an unnecessary evil. I would even be fairly generous about the ratio. I would even do it if I didn't know for sure it would be 100 percent effective But strategic bombing did have, in many facets including its main purpose, more than a minor effect on the length of the war. Tragic, but not as tragic as stopping Nazi aggression as rapidly as possible.

What would you have done to end the war in the same time frame without any additional allied losses? (And remember, the bombing surveys are not compiled until after the war.) Or are the lives of additional allied soldier ok to lose in this cause, but civilians supporting the Nazi war effort totally off limits?

From my point of view, I had a grandfather who missed the first five years of my mother's life -- and, in places like North Africa, Sicily, Normandy (later, in the Pacific, Iwo Jima and Okinawa) had his life threatened many times by bombers, bombs, glide bombs, shells, submarines and torpedoes manufactured by German civilians supporting their war effort. He was a coal miner from West Virginia who had no interest in a foreign war until one was thrust upon him, and I don't really see a distinction between the value of his life and that of a civilian supporting the war effort of a regime that started the most destructive war in world history [if their deaths mean the war is shortened and the toll on the non agressors is thus reduced].

Charon

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2002, 09:43:06 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund

uh...15

(at least try to answer the question instead)

So what if you have saved starving babies in Africa, you have killed babies in Africa and in other countries too.

So what if you have liberated contries and set up democracies in them, you have toppled democracies and backed military dictators too.

So what if you have saved many economies, you have ruined economies and driven nations to bankruptcy too.

Get it in your head that what you have listed doesnt give you any right whatsoever to act as if you were above the law all the rest of us has to follow.

No get it through your head.  No international court has the right to try an American, PERIOD. Never will.  Don't like it?  Hehe cool that makes me feel a little bit better.   Basicly you can kiss our collective asses.  Want to adopt our constitution and make the EU the 51st state?  Then maybe we can talk, othewise keep your court to yourself. We have better laws here.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
sort it out
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2002, 09:46:04 AM »
Originally posted by Charon

Look a Europe today. Want to win votes in France and other parts of Europe? Bash America (at least that's what the British papers and BBC say).

Charon

It's not likely to work :D

I'm shocked that BBC can say such BS :(

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2002, 09:47:20 AM »

And btw..thanks so very /%#¤¤ much for guaranteeing an independent Bosnia, a muslim enclave with close ties to Iran and Syria is just what we wanted in the middle of Europe.

diddly you very much hortland. America wanted no part of that either.  Something about seeing people murdered and placed in camps and starved to death that makes us leap into action. learn to keep you own yard clean and maybe just maybe the good ole USofA can stop having to waste our lives cleaning up your messes.   Hmmm lets see what side of the planet did all the genocide happen last century?  Hmmm European side if I remember.

There was a reason why the EU wanted to stay out of Bosnia you know...

Yeah your a bunch of rutabagas who don't have a clue how to solve a problem without thousands/milliions of people dying.

You know hortland you really are a pompus amazinhunk......

[edit]

This thread has legs :D

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2002, 09:48:33 AM »
A kinda interesting perspective on something called "ethnical cleansing". When Amercians do it, it is ok if the people being driven off gets to do what they want in their "new lands". If someone else tries to do it in...well..I dunno...say Serbia or Bosina, then it becomes a horrible crime and the US gets to bomb any nation of their choice to submission and enforce their will on said nation.

You are comparing the 1700s to modern day.....
-SW

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
sort it out
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2002, 09:48:49 AM »
Come on guys, debate nicely!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
sort it out
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2002, 09:49:34 AM »
Politics

that is why the US will not subscribe to a court run by who for what?

As we have a justice system that handles our own affairs just fine. We don't need a bunch of lefty Europes judging us. But thanks anyway ...

What "crime" do you think will be first on its agenda? Israel maybe or the Pals ??? my bet is they go after Israel ....
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2002, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
Politics

that is why the US will not subscribe to a court run by who for what?

As we have a justice system that handles our own affairs just fine. We don't need a bunch of lefty Europes judging us. But thanks anyway ...

What "crime" do you think will be first on its agenda? Israel maybe or the Pals ??? my bet is they go after Israel ....

Oh but Eagler they will judge us regardless ;)  Hypocrites.....

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2002, 09:52:32 AM »
And as for native Americans and Slavery (throw in Japanese internment as well), I make no excuses. Both are reprehensible, even for the social norms in the time frame they occurred. It is a great tragic irony that our great democratic republic was founded with the support of slavery, largely for economic reasons (the more things change...)

Now there are people who do try and excuse these things (Africans sold their brothers first... They were better off as slaves... It was a war for states rights... times were different then...), but you won’t find excuses at most of our national and local museums or school history books. And, you won't find excuses from me, or whitewashing, or some attempt to dilute the truth. Humanity is a work in progress, and it seems to be getting better all the time. Perhaps some day, it will live up to its potential.

Charon

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
sort it out
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2002, 09:53:06 AM »
Is anyone honestly equating the tragic incident in Afghanistan to a crime against humanity? I sure hope not.

We Americans are pretty stingy with our sovereignty, and while we have made mistakes we are well aware of them. We have also been the least imperialistic of any great power in the history of the world.

A World Court is just an admission of failure on the part of the Countries involved AFAIK. If you can't keep your own house clean, hire a maid. If you can't bring your own people to justice, hire a world court.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
sort it out
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2002, 09:57:03 AM »
It's not likely to work  

I'm shocked that BBC can say such BS

Straffo

When I was in London, several papers and at least one TV news segment (it might not have been BBC proper) looked at anti-americanism, particularly related to the French elections. That was a main theme. True or not, you're a better judge than I. FWIW I found some of the coverage of American issues to be, well, a bit of an odd take on American politics at first read.

Charon