Author Topic: I love the new HOST/kill message text!  (Read 825 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
I love the new HOST/kill message text!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2002, 03:04:23 PM »
hortlund....are you saying that WWII fighter pilots did not fly agressively?   maybe you are saying that your style proves that you could easily beat someone who is as unskilled and dweeby as say DMF and so you deserve to be given the recognition that  is due you while DMF deserves to be relegated to unknown status?

Guess what?   I don't care how many kill messages you get.... Everyone will still know who is the better pilot cause they see both of ya fighting.   They know who is being a timid score potato and who is fighting in a skilled manner.  

everyone knows who drex is but I doubt that he ever was ranked very high.
lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2002, 03:07:58 PM »
Oh.... and of the kills I got in the new arena.... They were all much easier than I have ever had it befor....  it's just that there were fewer of em and they were harder to find.    over half of em started the fight by trying to HO me.   The guys that were getting kill messages were unknown to me or known easy kills.
lazs

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2002, 03:22:16 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
hortlund....are you saying that WWII fighter pilots did not fly agressively?   maybe you are saying that your style proves that you could easily beat someone who is as unskilled and dweeby as say DMF and so you deserve to be given the recognition that  is due you while DMF deserves to be relegated to unknown status?

Guess what?   I don't care how many kill messages you get.... Everyone will still know who is the better pilot cause they see both of ya fighting.   They know who is being a timid score potato and who is fighting in a skilled manner.  

everyone knows who drex is but I doubt that he ever was ranked very high.
lazs

Lazs...where did this come from? Did you sit down on a cattle prod or something?

First, Im not saying that ww2 pilots didnt fly agressively. I dont think many of them were so eager to get a kill that they suicided into the concrete of some enemy runway just to get one kill of some taxiing aircraft.

Second, Im not saying ANYTHING about my style of flying, nor am I saying anything about my skill. I havent said anyting about me being a better pilot than anyone. Get off my back already.

And Lasz, we both know who the score-potato in this conversation is, mr "all I care about is K/T".

As for who is the better pilot, well, all I can do is my best..right?

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2002, 03:44:59 PM »
I like the new kill message only if you land it. Only prob is the text sometimes gets truncated.

Also HT should make it so that if you bail out or ditch over friendly you also get the kill recognition. So long as you lived on that sortie.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2002, 03:51:40 PM by senna »

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2002, 03:50:29 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund

So, anyway, soon Im refueled and Im starting to taxi to the runway. Suddenly I get a couple of check-6 calls. I look up and see a Typhoon come in a vertical dive towards me. A second later Im in the tower.

But he got his kill...never mind the fact that he was in a near vertical dive 500feet above the ground when he got me.

Come on DMF, this must have happened to you too? Doesnt it bother you one bit?

Hortland,

I know that this question was not directed at me, but you seem to think that no one could not be bothered by such an act.  

Would I be anoyed in such an incident?  Sure, for about 5 seconds (which is how long it takes me to click "Fly" again).  The truth is, I am a bit anoyed when ever I get killed and my own stupidity contributed to it.  But I play to have fun, not to be anoyed, so I simply don't take things too seriously and have learned to "get over it".  

Honestly, I have been in the exact same situation (both as the attacker and victom) and can recall laughing each time.  "Good for you dweeb, I can't believe you pulled that off!"  would be my thoughts (of either myself or the other guy).

I'm telling you, if you want a good laugh, dive right into a heavily defended base and blast some poor SOB on the re-arm pad with a dozen guys chasing you.  You will laugh your bellybutton off too!  The fact that the guy probably thought he was safe makes it all the funnier.

eskimo

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2002, 04:01:05 PM »
Oh and while Im at it I think bombers should get their own custom kill message if they complete a bomb run, hit targets and live (which is even more rare than fiter missions).

Heck why not give GV drivers and gooney flyers their own for base capture etc...

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2002, 04:01:50 PM »
Come on DMF, this must have happened to you too? Doesnt it bother you one bit?

Sure, I think something like this has happened to everyone.  It really doesn't bother me a bit.  If he wants to tempt fate by diving into ack to attempt strafing me, more power to him.  I've probably gotten as many kills on guys like that as they've gotten on me thanks to their wingless, ack-riddled planes crashing to the ground beside me.

The fact that you've also used an example from just an hour ago demonstrates that the new kill buffer does not adequately dissuade players from engaging in this type of behavior.  The kind of person who would dive wantonly into ack in order to get a single vulch kill is probably not the kind of person who cares about landing or even seeing his name in the kill buffer.  He just wants a kill, any kill, any way possible.  Ack and kill buffers be damned!

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2002, 04:06:21 PM »
First, Im not saying that ww2 pilots didnt fly agressively. I dont think many of them were so eager to get a kill that they suicided into the concrete of some enemy runway just to get one kill of some taxiing aircraft.

I'd be willing to venture that many of them did die this way -- via ack at airfields or by miscalculating and hitting the dirt while attempting to strafe ground targets.  Gabby Gabreski was captured after clipping his prop on the ground during a strafing/vulching mission, forcing him to ditch his plane at the airfield he was attempting to destroy.  It happened to even the best of the best pilots.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2002, 04:12:16 PM »
I know several pilots who land now instead of going for that one extra kill.

And what I said was "If" this changes some pilot behavior Im all for it.

Because it pisses me off royally to have someone suicide just to shoot me on the runway.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2002, 04:20:49 PM »
I know several pilots who land now instead of going for that one extra kill.

And what I said was "If" this changes some pilot behavior Im all for it.

Because it pisses me off royally to have someone suicide just to shoot me on the runway.

What if he gets you but doesn't die himself?

Is that OK?

eskimo

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2002, 04:32:56 PM »
Still pisses me off :)

but it would be ok I suppose, if he managed to beat the field acks, as well as a couple of friendlies flying cap over the base, then he deserved the kill.

Note that Im not talking about me trying to up from a vulched base here, or me trying to refuel on a base under attack...those are classical "blame it on yourself"-situations.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2002, 04:39:13 PM »
I would think so, eskimo.  However he's talking about someone that's in a 100% sure auger dive, no chance to recover.  Not someone just trying to luck through the ack.  At least that's the impression I got.  (otherwise why would it be suicide?)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2002, 04:46:54 PM »
If your virtual life doesn't matter to you, why should kill buffer ? You are virtually dead anyway ;)

You can still take the time to type on channel 1 if others really have to know about your unlanded kills.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2002, 04:51:00 PM by Hristo »

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2002, 04:54:41 PM »
log on icq you popsicle.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com