Author Topic: WB trys "WWII" arena  (Read 681 times)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2000, 07:56:00 AM »
I've been playing both sims equally for the last month or so, but with the new WW2 Arena, I know where I will spend most of my time.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
Oh, one more  thing Lazs, we have  an OFF_TOPIC BB for this, this BB is for "Aces High General Discussion" .  Thanks !  

-towd_

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2000, 10:01:00 AM »
well i can see his point rip ,we seem to mostly want this sort of setup and who the hell reads the off topic bbs any way. hope we get alot of early war planes myself.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2000, 10:09:00 AM »
Bet you dollars to donuts that  the Terrain editor will change  the way we look at arenas....
------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Panzer Group Afrika~15th Panzer Division~[/i]
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info

I spare no class or cult or  creed,
My course is endless through the year.
I bow all heads and break all hearts,
All owe homage-I am Fear.

-------------General Patton

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 07-12-2000).]

Offline rust

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.rocketace.net
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2000, 10:56:00 AM »
I tried to play last night and got discoed three times in a row after about 5 minutes of flying.  Anyone else have problems with WB last night?  Very frustrating...
No problems with AH, though.

------------------
RUST

[This message has been edited by rust (edited 07-12-2000).]

Antix

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2000, 08:02:00 PM »
Ooops, test post

[This message has been edited by Antix (edited 07-12-2000).]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2000, 11:57:00 PM »
What? Somebody say Brand W has connex probs??

Never heard of sucha thing.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2000, 12:44:00 AM »

Originally posted by Badger:
 I've had example after example of relatively new guys who would just play "circle jerk" with me in a Spit 9, far longer (turn rotations) than would happen in WB with the same planes.  

I think I know what you mean. It just seems to me that E is far more important here than in WB. Your Zeke might outturn a Spit 9, but if he starts the stallfight from favorable position or E state, it might just not be enough. You can't expect WB magic E device to pull you out of any situation, like it was the case with WB Spits.

I have seen WB Spits doing endless turns and loops, never losing E to that critical point where they could be outturned by 190, for example.

Here even Zeke can lose E way below corner speed and find itself outturned by a P 47 (which is a damn bloody E keeper   ).

WB Zeke always reminded me to X-wing games. When in doubt, pull on the stick. Here it might not always be the wisest move.

Even Fw 190A-5 with little alt can turn inside Spit V, for example, if the Spitter is too slow (it can turn inside one if the Spitter is too fast too   ).

Turn radius is close, 190 dives slightly, is closer to corner speed and thus wins the angles. Like it should. This seems just as it should be.

AH FM requires more careful flying than WB FM. IMO, this flight modeling favors the BnZ planes and gangbanging (like it should), allows less furballs and 1 man armies (like it should). Otherwise nobody would bother to build P 51s or 190s, WW2 would have Fieseler Storchs furballing around.

My point earlier was that the AH turn rate formula may indeed be 100% correct, but I would prefer HT to "fudge" the math a little to cause the disparities between turn rates on planes to be more pronounced and noticeable sooner, than an absolute "bottom end" E bleed necessity which seems to happen now.

Anyway, just my thoughts are from a playability and game point of view and not from a true realism of flight sim physics position.

NOT AGAIN ! Not another endless "is my FM fudged ?" argument from WB.

Please no ! You know what would that do to a P 51, Hog or 190 ??!!

What would be next ? Limit late war BnZ planes abilities to give poor 1941 turners a chance ?
You don't want another WB Dora, do you ?

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 07-13-2000).]

Batmann

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2000, 09:47:00 AM »
Planes of WB's WWII arena is asigned fields as this. It's cool.  

------------------
Batmann <CO/JG68> from Tokyo, Japan
JG68 Briefing Room
"Anybody who is Japanese and likes German aircrafts
can't but get to like Ki-61."

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2000, 10:05:00 AM »
Does the red/green mean they've done away with the stealth purple icons?

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Batmann

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »

Originally posted by popeye:
Does the red/green mean they've done away with the stealth purple icons?

I don't know well, because I don't fly WB already. But, Answer is affirmative. It must be 2 countries war. Red is axis. Green is Allied.

------------------
Batmann <CO/JG68> from Tokyo, Japan
JG68 Briefing Room
"Anybody who is Japanese and likes German aircrafts
can't but get to like Ki-61."

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2000, 03:23:00 PM »
If captured, it toggles between the two countries as illustrated, and yes there are only red and green.

Also, as the RPS progresses, all planes will not be enabled at all of your countires bases, so the possability of there being no Ponies in late war does exist.

I see lots of ponies capping THAT field, eh(And lot's of bombers trying to close it).

Lizking

lazs

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2000, 05:17:00 PM »
well.. i didn't think i would like the new "axis vs allied" thing but they used the older map and with 125+ guys up and only two sides there was lots of action and it was fast and furious.   Had a real blast for a change.   With the better turn rates it is a much more varied acm than AH but... to each his own.   i suspect that the true turn rates are somewhere in between but no matter how I look at it, AH rates are most wrong comparitively speaking.   Imagine if climb were as "blurred" in AH as turn is.   Far as I'm concerned, anybody defending one sim over the other for "realism" is a little ki8d whistle n' in the dark to show he's not afraid.   Badger is right AH does have some great and realistic features that make it worth playing.... Turn ain't one of em tho.

As for off topic rip... maybe... but heck at least it ain't boring.
lazs

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »
 Have fun in the "arcade" Lazs.   <GDR>

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »
Seems that theres more than one that don't like the WW2  arena:

A month or so ago the Generations arena came out and I flew it everynight possible trying to support it. There
                  were several nights with just 8 - 16 pilots in there and the fights were fantastic. Well the arena didn't make it.

The WW2 arena came along and I was Sooooooooooo excited!! Over the past three or four nights I have
                  logged about 11 hours in the arena and after logging off last night, I don't know if I'll go back, not that that means
                  anything .

There are two reasons, and only two, for my feelings.

First, it's hurting the squadron - Last night we had 8 pilots flying and 4 wanted to fly Allied and 4 Axis. I had to
                  make the call and we all flew together but, that's not a call I like having to make.

Second, it's just not any fun. 98% of the time I have been in there, it's been two big low level furballs in the F4, 7,
                  9 area and the F20 area. The rest of the map has been basically desolate except for one push the Axis made last
                  night for F2. 95% of the fights are, from with 30 seconds of the start to finish, nothing more than a big low level
                  turn fest with 15+ airplanes in the arena. Last night we sat in the tower and waited until we saw an area where
                  there were only two or three enemies and then we rolled and headed that way. By the time we got there it was
                  3:1 odds with 20+ planes in a D30ish area.

I just don't enjoy that style of fighting. I enjoy the dynamics of being up and seeing your opponent(s) and
                  jockeying for that opening position. Then when you both commit to the fight it becomes you and or your
                  wingmen against him and his. I have been looking for that in the WW2 arena but I have yet been able to find it.
                  Almost every fight in the new arena becomes a huge turn match with a large number of the people flying
                  defensive "circles" and spraying at passing planes, or 10 of one color chaing one or two of another.

Now before you tell me to take off from a further field and get alt, we did that. But the Allied planes were in
                  groups of 6 or more and 2 v 6 odds just don't play well, at least not for someone with my poor flying skills.

I guess the biggest issue is that in the MA we had 100 people spread out over 80% f the map and now we have
                  100 people using 20% IMHO.

I know it may get better when the late war Boom and Zoomers arrive from the rear fields but I actually like Early
                  War better but this is just no fun .

Now feel free to flame away at me, I have my fire retardent underooos on . I am asking the squadron in our
                  forum and I will go where they enjoy flying, I just wish there was a way to spread the arena out more.

Have a great day: Flop

------------------
                  John "Flop" Elrod