Author Topic: WB trys "WWII" arena  (Read 680 times)

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
Some like to fly "Historical Matchups" and some don't.  At least one has a choice in Warbirds.  I, and many others, enjoy the "WWII Arena".

"Arcade" is in the eye of the beholder.  

Cabby

------------------
=44th FS "VAMPIRES"=
"The Jungle Air Force"
Welcome To The Jungle!!!"
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
cabby. "at least one has a choice" in WB.

In AH H2H if you want historical, set it up. Dont like thwe guns, crank them up. You want armor only, set it up. Its pretty hard to whine about options, when you can have anything you want for free.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »
But wow! What a concept. WWII planes fighting a WWII arena!

I mean, we've kinda wanted this for quite some time. And I don't mean an HA either. Kudos to WB for actually giving this 'brilliant' idea its fair shake.

How many times have we said "How do ya know it aint gonna be successful until ya try it"? I'm interested in seeing how this experiment plays out. Hopefully it's a success, and if so, hopefully we'll see something like that here.

Oh... and with the terrain editor, something like this would just rock.

[This message has been edited by Nash (edited 07-14-2000).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2000, 02:01:00 PM »
iEN should dedicate two of their best servers to the *WW2 Generations* arena and a *all planes available* arena.  Doh!  forgot about the 262..hehe.  Dont wanna go there  

Unfortunately, as long as they are charging $2 an hour Im out of the game.

On another issue:
I just viewed the film from WBs3 and was mildly impressed.  Interestingly, the much discussed terrain reminded me of Novalogics first F22 sim.  Should be very interesting to see what happens with iEN and how the latest and greatest WBs fares after the apocolyptic release.

Yeager

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 07-14-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
 Nash, AW has had this type of setup now for over a year - for thier relaxed realism crowd. And from what I've read at AGW and what I saw occur in AW I see the WB's setup is suffering he same fate as AW's. The early plane set favours the LW and the late plane set favours the Allies.  But worse is no LW bomber able to compete with the B24 or B17 in suppor tof the "land grab".  Not to mention the early plane set is lacking.
 I'd eagerly fly in an environment called "WWII" or "Axis vs Allied" here, but I'd prefer if many more planes were added to the plane first. Even in WB's or AW there are too many aircraft missing.

-Westy

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
Quote:

"...AW has had this type of setup now for over a year - for thier relaxed realism crowd."

Irrelevant.

Quote:

"from what I've read at AGW and what I saw occur in AW I see the WB's setup is suffering he same fate as AW's"

Way too early to tell.

Quote:

"The early plane set favours the LW and the late plane set favours the Allies."

As it did in "Real Life".  Axis aircraft flown by competent Squads can deal defeat to the Late War Allies.  Perhaps not as easily as the Allies can with their rugged Heavy Bombers, but it can be done.  Nothing like a challenge.

Quote:

"Not to mention the early plane set is lacking."

LOL!!!  I guess the He-111 is missing, but it would be a sitting duck in any case.  The JU-88 is a far superior Light Bomber to the He-111.  

I once led a "Weekend Warrior" IJN/IJA Force and by the time the Event ended we, the IJN/IJA, captured exactly one less field than the Allies managed with their Heavy Bombers.  The IJN/IJA would have won overall if one Kate has not missed his target in the waning seconds of the Event.  

It just takes a little dedication, patience, and skill, to buck the "odds".

Easymo:

In all the years i've been playing WB's, i have used H2H exactly once.  I am not in the least bit interested in H2H.  WB's or AH's.  The "choice" i am referring to is the type of "Gameplay" available.  Early War/Late War, Historical Matchups, and Historical "Re-enactments", if you will.

Cabby

------------------
=44th FS "VAMPIRES"=
"The Jungle Air Force"
Welcome To The Jungle!!!"

[This message has been edited by cabby (edited 07-14-2000).]
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2000, 08:50:00 AM »
The new arena is pretty cool, time will tell if it has staying power.

The most important thing is that it shows that ien is willing to listen to input and experiment;  this is the second experiment in arena settings lately.

-lazs-

WB trys "WWII" arena
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2000, 10:46:00 AM »
westy... no, the "generations" part of the WWII arena is the key.   Planes are not introduced by any particular date but by "parity of performance".  there are only 4 "generations" of planes for 50 odd planes.   So far, the LW is NOT dominating the early (week 1) part of the set.   I love the parity.

rip... u quoted that whole crybabby post?   did u read it first?  sheesh, the guy knows what he doesn't like but he doesn't have a clue as to what he does like except for a 2 vs 2 duel.    He doesn't even need to pay to have that in AH.   read the whole thread.

The WWII arena seems to be wildly popular so far and that is the bottom line.   It may be "arcade" if you feel that melees with 15 or so planes is unrealistic and lone wolf hunters B&Zing WWII planes that can't turn is the height of WWII realism  but.... it is popular  and it has the capacity to change from week to week as opppossed to a constant 1944 arena.  

It is unfortunate that there is so much action tho.   No time to chat or wash the car.   Oh well, there is a "phony realism" element diligently working on slowing down the action.
lazs