Author Topic: Number 1 Fighter Rank  (Read 714 times)

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Number 1 Fighter Rank
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2002, 12:27:49 PM »
As said before rank tell you very little about pilot Vs pilot skill as there are to many variables involved in the way people fly aircraft chosen, but your stats do tell 'YOU' how you are improving or getting worse each tour, wether you fly for 1 hour or 100 hours a month.

blank :)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Number 1 Fighter Rank
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2002, 03:26:38 PM »
Originally posted by akak

Put a newbie or mediocre pilot in a La7 and I'll rope him everytime on the merge in my P-38L.  Put Lev in a Zero and he'll shoot down my P-38L everytime.  So again, it's the pilot that makes the plane, not the other way around.

Ack-Ack

This is an easy argument to debate. With pilots of equal skill at Co-E and Co-alt, planes choice is the deciding factor. But, two equal aircraft under same conditions, pilot skill is deciding factor.

Of course, this ignores all other circumstances. Even a rank beginner can be successful if he's lucky and has the better aircraft for a given situation. Obviously, we cannot divorce ourselves from circumstances.

Last night, I was jumped by an La-7 just after taking off in a heavy P-51D. I had barely 180 mph and 1,000 ft under me, when I see him boring in (our Dar was down at the time). I dumped the ord, but had too little speed, no altitude, too much gas and few options. I made him work real hard, but he eventually hit my elevator, so I bailed. Had I been in a Bf-109F, the La-7 dweeb would have two choices. Run or risk being clobbered. I immediately upped a 109F and headed straight for his location. Upon seeing my Icon, he wheeled around and disappeared.... Many guys would have challenged the 109 figuring that they are not especially dangerous around 10k. They haven't tackled an F at 10k. It climbs faster than the La-7, turns much better, and accelerates nearly as well too. Indeed, the La-7's only advantage is maximum speed, and that's not much at 10k.

Again, to add to my initial points, all factors being equal, tactical advantage can often make the difference. Ultimately, it isn't just the pilot or the aircraft involved. It is a combination of factors that ultimately decides the outcome of events. Let face facts, the very best pilots in this game get killed. Sometimes by newbies, who by circumstance, had an opportunity they would never get otherwise. 99 time out of a 100, the newbie would die. Circumstances dictated a different outcome. I know first hand, because as a newbie, I got a few kills on "experts" that resulted from being at the right place, at the right time. In other words, luck was the difference. We can't factor out luck either.  Life can be a squeak and then it gets worse....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Number 1 Fighter Rank
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2002, 03:59:32 PM »
Is this close enough;

Tour 7:
eskimo has 22 kills and has been killed 8 times in the C-47A.

It doesn't count, eskimo, if you taxi all the way to your target and sucker the idiots into diving past you to attack and let the cumulogranite clouds scrape themselves off your tail...  ;-)

(I got two kills in a Ju-52 in Warbirds this way -- I'd lost enough control surface that I couldn't control my plane in the air, but I still had all my engines and was taxiing to my target, and was able to sucker two idiots into making diving attacks on me; apparently they both decided on the 'come up from behind and below' attack where my dorsal popgun couldn't hit them, and both pranged finding out that I didn't have any 'below'...)

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Number 1 Fighter Rank
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2002, 04:52:40 PM »
Getting urself killed by a zero in a P38 would be stupid however
patience is all u need

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Number 1 Fighter Rank
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2002, 05:04:58 PM »
My hit % has usually been between 10-13% for most tours, but for this tour it's 26.2% for fighter and 27.5% for attack.  I've been shooting down an awful lot of bombers this tour compared to previous tours, it's offsetting my % against enemy fighters.  Open fire at d300 and you can't really miss a huge target like a bomber.:)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."