Author Topic: Pilots I admire  (Read 690 times)

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2002, 09:53:09 PM »
LOL. Try having no respect for anyone, it makes it easier to kill them dead!!!!!!!  After that, you will sleep like a baby while the tears are streaming down their sad sad faces!

Even guys that are with Liz Hurley HOE now and then (and get caught)!!!

Cheers

Rat

Offline OSCAR

• Zinc Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2002, 09:57:07 PM »
I think anyone that passes on taking a LOW angle nose shot because he's afraid of ridicule is an idiot and needs professional  emotional help.  As far as the pure HO, anyone that goes out of their way for that and has an aircraft with lower muzzle power then the other aircraft he/she is trying to HO is an idiot also.

I see a plane in front of me nose to nose trying to avoid the HO I go ahead and attempt the shot because I know he is putting himself in jeopardy by giving the low angle shot to me, but if the other person is not making much effort to avoid a possible HO by me, I make damn sure I have enough E to roll out the the way, if I don't have the E to avoid the shot I try to fire earlier and more than the attacker.

as far as the ganged situation ..common sense should lend you to realise that you must take some HO shots to cut the odds down.

As far as HO whinners.....they give me a bigger laugh than the chute whinners.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 10:01:19 PM by OSCAR »

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2002, 10:25:12 PM »
pilots I admire, a guy the who shoots you down 1v1 in a p-51 and then askes if he can come back for 1v1 co alt / same plane  in the MA because he feels you put up a good fight :)
All nice and courteous, it was fun to fly against someone of similar ability, calling out to country mates not to help.

flying KI-61's, No HO's on merge then anything goes.

Final score,  be rude to say, it wasn't about winning.

The ground won most of the bouts, manouver kills, the fighting was deadlocked, back and forth the advantage passed.

Acidfunk   wtg, pilots like you make the game fun :D :D :D

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Pilots I admire
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2002, 10:28:33 PM »
Chennault made the HO a primary tactic (avoid the tailchase and GO for the HO.)  The USA pilots in the Pacific made the HO a valid tactic.  Chuck Yeager got shot down going for a HO.  

Why do so many have a distaste for an historically authentic and valid tactic?

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2002, 10:36:15 PM »
Take the HO, rev, and strafe the chute :)

Seriously, while I like to make a big effort to turn HO passes into mere "front quarter" shots out of pure self-preservation, if I don't see the other guy maneuvering to avoid the HO I simply refuse to give him a free shot at me.

If that ends up in an HO, too bad, sometimes (virtual) life sucks.

If the weeb that HO'd me whines about me shooting him in the face as he came at me guns blazing, I'll rev and tag his chute too.

That said, this usually only happens when a guy in a more maneuverable plane attacks me with an altitude advantage and I don't have an option due to energy levels, his maneuvering, or presence of other bandits.  I strongly advocate higher-percentage shots especially since my gunnery isn't very good so I tend to lose HO's, but if it's a choice between the HO or letting the other guy shoot me, I'll be shooting back.  

If I have the altitude, I'll circle over the other bugger until I have a good shot or an opportunity to disengage.  Hell, it's just a game and except in the very rare scenarios I participate in, I don't HAVE to shoot at everyone I run across if the setup doesn't work out...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pilots I admire
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2002, 10:41:49 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Any pilot who doesn't go for the head-on shot when he is in a bad situation.  There are a few of them...I think.

have a nice day

I admire them too. Well.. not so much admire as just gape in awe.

It's rare that people that stupid live long enough to make extra money and have the free time to play a great game like this!

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Central

• Nickel Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2002, 11:21:34 PM »
Im taking it from reading from a former A.V.G. pilot, if you have a more superior HO plane, you take it. Im sure it applied to all planes of that era. If im in a p38, you can bet im going to HO every time.

A.V.G. Tactics- Erik Shilling

"To show a couple examples of attacking enemy fighters: If you attack head on, which the enemy was reluctant because our guns outranged the fighters, they would normally pull up. (If he started turning away, he would already be at a disadvantage.) You started firing at Max range, and then dive away, under these conditions we didn't turn and tangle with a Jap fighters..."

http://www.danford.net/shilling.htm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 11:23:35 PM by Central »

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2002, 11:33:31 PM »
I admire Grunherz.

:eek:
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline hpilowrider1

• Zinc Member
      • http://boyd47.tripod.con/theaceshighcite
ok
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2002, 11:34:10 PM »
Ok well i guess you dont admire me! i love to see who has the balls to get as close and shoot the longest before you hit or or dispirse. It keeps you alert couse you on the edge of your seat! Then boooooooooooom:eek: and yall hit and go down in peaces! Then you laugh your bellybutton off! Its so fun why not do it. Its like chickin whoes gonna sawerve! NOT ME IAM RUNNING STRIGHT THOUGH SO WATCH IT I WILL HIT YOU IF YOU IN MY WAY!

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2002, 12:05:47 AM »
If in 110G-2, then it is HO against anyone co-E. You'd be surprised how they go for it too.

If in 190A-8 vs La-7 on the deck, HO again. And again, I just didn't believe those two Lame-7s.

Offline AcidFunk

• Zinc Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2002, 01:40:05 AM »
Well it takes 2 to head on.  If you don't like to HO then the option is simple for you. DON'T AIM YOUR PLANE AT ME!! Besides, all my guns point forwards not backwards. :D

~AcidFunk~

"Puff, puff, give!!"

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2002, 01:54:47 AM »
The best part about taking an HO when you can is getting a response like the following.  Basically, the situation boiled down to this:  I was in an FM-2, this guy was in an A6M2.  He tried to get around to hit me, but I kept reversing and getting a ping or two on him.  He finally realized that it would be better to extend and come back around trying to get a better shot on me.  Well, he tried it once too often.  I took front quarter shot as he passed and took his wing off.  Game over.  He made a very simple mistake.  He didn't even try to shoot at me when his nose was pointed at me.  I had a shot and took it.  He had a shot and didn't.  His problem, not mine.

I covered his name b/c I don't really care to get him into any trouble.  I just think a reaction like this is absolutely classic.  I also left in the little bit by Rauml just b/c I thought it was funny.

Offline LoGo

• Zinc Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2002, 04:36:50 AM »
i REALLY admire the pilots kind enough to let me shoot them down.... ;D

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Pilots I admire
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2002, 08:22:25 AM »
It was my first official whine....:D

I guess I just need to get better at HOs myself then, judging by the responses here.  Fine...will do.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Pilots I admire
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2002, 09:42:38 AM »
....and the correct answer is...:

I admire them too. Well.. not so much admire as just gape in awe.

It's rare that people that stupid live long enough to make extra money and have the free time to play a great game like this!

A classic. :D

Also, note that most guys that get annoyed at catchin a faceful of lead came from that old whine haven sim where they squeaked and moaned about it till they turned damage recieved in the front quarter off.

Pretty gay, IMHO.

But then.. so's Kurt Tank.

;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.