Author Topic: Tank to Air Victories  (Read 742 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Tank to Air Victories
« on: April 22, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
Last night I engaged my Panzer against flying aircraft that were attacking me.  I managed to hit some and score some victories before I died.

My tally in the end for one Panzer mission was 6 victories.  I believe, most if not all were aircraft actually hit by my cannon rounds.  I saw the round strike the aircraft on most occasions.

Has anyone done had similar results?  Or am I a record holder?

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2000, 08:40:00 AM »
Shhh, don't let funked hear you...  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2000, 09:24:00 AM »
 I've been lucky  
 It'a ALWAYS been easy to nail the enemy bogy  who's flying flat and shallow at me and when they fill my site at D7 I let loose.
 It's like the ultimate HO. Only they lose.
 I know for a fact that P-47 pilots in post D-Day action NEVER flew towards a Panzer or Tiger head on. Then again they could see the direction of the turret and in most cases thay came in at a steeper dive angle than most folks here do.
 I've talked to two P-47 pilots who were in on the action against the Axis forces in southern France after D-Day. They simply did NOT come in at 100 feet HO against a tank.

-Westy

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2000, 09:48:00 AM »
Sorry no record.

Darn nice shooting though  

The first night that 1.02 was out I lost count of how many tiffies & F4u's I shot down. One sortie had 14 or 15 kills, several assists. Sure is fun to watch those planes go BOOM!

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »
The reason they never flew head on to the german tanks is that they had know weapon that would hurt a german tank from the front, not because there is a snowballs chance in hell of hitting a fighter with a tanks main armament.
I was hit in a f4 at 3.5k crossing at 250mph...
That is so rediculous that I dont know what to say.
People shooting down 10+ tanks with a 70 round magazine..
I realise that the other side (air to ground) is probably as out of wack depending on the skill of the pilot but this speaks volumes about what is not being modeled on those tank rounds...Would the HE round on a kwk 40 even fuse against anything but a direct hit on an aircraft....?
Although...it probably could be effecitve if it hit without exploding...
------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

[This message has been edited by Pongo (edited 04-22-2000).]

funked

Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2000, 02:02:00 PM »
It's completely ridiculous, and it makes one wonder if there are serious issues with the gunnery model.

That said, I've done it 4 times in a single tank mission.  

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2000, 09:29:00 PM »
It is zoom...

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

skippy

Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2000, 10:07:00 PM »
My nephew was a tanker in Abrams they had no qualms about engagin AC or rotorheads with the main. Now he's a rotorhead himself and shows them tanks alot of respect, tells me its the velocity of the gun & targeting mechs. Thats why he hides behind trees n stuff in that kiowa.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2000, 01:41:00 AM »
I have a friend who was a platoon commander of Abrams.  He said that Helos would be reasonably easy, and they trained for both rotory and fixed wing, but he had no real expectaion of hitting a Frogfoot.  The other thing is that it would be an entirely different thing to hit a airplane with a modern tank as opposed to a WWII tank.  The turret would not tranverse faste enough and the gun will not elevate fast enough to have a real shot at it.

Sisu

------------------
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2000, 02:50:00 AM »
Well...im sure your nephew is a nice guy but..engagin with the miles gear is one thing..engagin the real thing another..
quick every one dig up there accounts(non haunted tank) of MA kills on fighters by tanks in any war.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2000, 05:16:00 AM »
The point was lost here rather quickly.  I have at least 6 a.c. kills in panzers, and all but one were relatively easy.  The trick is, most people approach a tank too shallow, and pay no attention to the turret direction.  When a plane is strafing, it is easy to watch it, anticipate its direction of attack, and have turret waiting for him.  Then at about D7 or closer, BOOM, down he goes.  I think this is realistic as far as the modeling goes... straight ahead shot at virtually point blank range... the unrealistic part is that people flying here don't feel the vulnerability of a real pilot in a real plane, and they don't attack intelligently.  I have been in an a.c. attacking a panzer as well, and found it quite easy to attack safely- simply maintain a fairly steep angle of attack, and pay attention to turret direction as you approach.  If he is pointing your direction, you can continue the attack, or pull up, bypass, and come back in for another steep pass.  Shallow attacks are a tanker's dream.    

[This message has been edited by Skorpyon (edited 04-23-2000).]

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2000, 10:54:00 AM »
Yup, exactly Skorp, all 6 kills I got on that one sortie were just like you discussed. Each came in very shallow, rock steady right at my turret gun.  I just held my fire until they were very close, and it is almost hard to miss.

A few did come at steeper angles, and for them I was helpless.  The turret just doesnt elevate very far.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
Skorp.
I was killed at 3.5k crossing at 250mph by the main armement of a pziv..
what point is being lost in that?
something is wrong.
You describe your kills like they are realistic or something..while not as extremly silly as what happend to me, they are still far from realisic, you seem to think people shooting at tanks with no fear for their lives is unrealistic but you are sitting in a vehicle that is basically defencless against the aircraft and you are shooting......It is acctually your willingness to return fire that is unrealisic.
You are combining outside views on table top terrain to find and track the ac combining that knowledge into a tracking and fireing solution that simpily was imposible to accomplish in the real vehicle.
You are probably maintaining a rate of fire that would quickly destroy the main armement as well.
I agree that it is quite simple to kill tanks with an f4u1c for example. And the balance of the game is probably ok in this regard, but its not realisic.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
I see it simpler:
2 problems:
A. you can't currently see turret orientation.  I have confidence this will be fixed.
B. The turret traverses far too fast and tracks far too well.
(has anyone else figured out how to traverse up to 180 degrees in <1 sec?)

A. Will be fixed.  Hopefully B. will too.
Still, dweeby as they are I love main gun kills, especially on big stuff like B26s and 17s.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Tank to Air Victories
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
I like the guy that said he brothers sisters cousin was a tanker...

BS   BS    BS  and one more BS

I was in air defense (mech)(light infantry) in the army...  No way in hell is the main gun of a tank going to hit a fast mover.....Now the commander's .50 cal and the gunners 7.62 coax might have a chance but not much...now lighter apc's M2a2 Bradley comes to mind with its high rate of fire 25mm cannon maybe if a you win the lotto that day and feel lucky you might hit a fast mover....

Even weapon systems designed to shoot down aircraft: Vulcan 20mm gatling cannon still can't hit all the time even with its radar guidence..  dead eye shooting was pathetic at best... now the vulcan did put alot of shells in the air enough to deter attack thats it....

Thats why the army came up with missle technology, becuase ground fire just doesn't cut it vs aircraft....

If modern technology balsitics have a slim to no chance hitting then why is there a debate on this...

Give me one report of a ww2 tank downing a aircraft with its main gun....  Hard finding it......   Becuase there is none....

I was shot down the other night doing 400mph crossing pattern, thats twice as fast as any modern attack helo... Thats a flaw big time.... not relistic, even arcade like....

To HTC you have a great game so far please fix this exploit.....

Note i call it a exploit becuase when you can get 5-10 kills in a tank vs aircraft thats a exploit to me.

My suggestion to fix this problem and make it playable for ground pounders would be to link the main gun and a coax... this would provide limited deterent against aircraft..  

2 tanks could protect eachother.

Flame on

DoctorYO