Author Topic: Zonealrm and Aces High  (Read 782 times)

Offline San

• Copper Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« on: July 22, 2002, 01:56:15 PM »
I just upgraded to the newest version of Zonealarm (2601) and I cant seem to get Aces High into the programs list. With previous versions I would disable Zonealarm start Aces High and alt tab to the desktop start ZA and Aces High would appear on the list and I could give it permission. This will not work anymore, as soon as I turn on ZA I get the warning that ZA has blocked access but it does not show in the program list. Anybody got a workaround for this yet?
 If I try to connect while Zonealarm is on I just lock up  and cant alt tab or anything.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 02:09:48 PM »
San memorize the key presses neccessary to allow AH access in ZA.

When you are locked up.. you aren't.. its just ZA has taken priority just you can't see it behind AH which has your screen.

You can, i believe also wait for AH to timeout which might take a minute or two (not 100% sure on this one)

SKurj

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 01:22:39 AM »
Zonealarm is a great freeware firewall and is very secure, but because of issues like this I switched to Tiny Personal Firewall.  (There is a free version of this as well.)  It's not as easy to use as Zonealarm, but it acts much like Zonealarm.  Certainly it's much more tweakable.  It also gives a pop up the first time a program tries to access the web but so far it doesn't hang the program (like ZA does with AH).  Just check "set appropriate rule" and click "allow" and you are set.  It will give you a warning that aceshigh.exe has changed after each patch as well, which zonealarm did not always do.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 01:44:39 AM »
When AH locks, press Y or ALT-Y to tell ZA yes.

F.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 03:14:55 AM »
Like Bloom, I quit using the free ZA but switched to the free Sygate. Works great and just as secure as ZA with no AH problems.
DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline San

• Copper Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 03:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys. Furious is right I just had to press y and connected with no further problem.

Furious if you go to the Con look me up for a free beer.

Thanks for the help  
        Sandog

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 06:13:14 AM »
I think its "R" first to check the "remember" box, then "Y" for Yes
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 08:16:05 PM »
I use Norton Internet Security w/ Aces High, and no problems whatsoever.  The first time I run Aces High (or the first time after an update), I get an alert.  I tell it to create a rule, it automatically does, then I never need to do anything again.  

I certainly don't need to constantly disable my firewall to play AH, that's just poor design.  A personal firewall should be configurable enough to be on when you play.

Norton Internet Security is good, as is Norton Personal Firewall if you already have Antivirus.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 11:50:38 PM »
The keypress thing in Zone Alarm doesnt work in this version of AH for me. I just get a hard lock. I might go for tiny firewall as well...

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2002, 03:58:42 AM »
Becoming a bit suspitious here, tried to go to zonelabs.com, just get a white screen that says done, ok I says the web page for attbi.com has a firewall offer, so try to access that, same thing just get a white screen that says done, but just about any other web site is accessable, does this sound like someone has a little something operating on my system I dont know about?

Offline San

• Copper Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2002, 11:22:10 AM »
Try this link its woking for me.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/application;JSESSIONID_ZL_STORE_COMMERCE=9MDcGmKkjwoFiBhOsYpisp211hHL0sMmqZnxCCePKd4Ie2i1BEFM!31775369!173109957!7511!7512?namespace=zls_main&origin=global.jsp&event=link.skuList&&zl_catalog_view_id=201

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2002, 02:12:31 PM »
I use Zone Alarm Pro (went ahead and bought the program after trial period)

GRC.com rates it as the most secure firewall, and it works fine with AH once you configure it right.

http://grc.com/lt/hardware.htm

http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2002, 02:18:49 PM »
Automatic Rule Creation — Just a BAD idea: At my urging, Symantec has changed the default setting for their product family's extremely unsafe automatic firewall rule creation to off

From the above links

There really is'nt any problem with Zone Alarm, tick a box to check the program by pathname only and it never bothers you again no matter how many times you patch AH.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2002, 05:08:01 PM »
Firewalls are a "feel-good" measure.
Odds are that unless you know how to put together a comprehensive and secure ruleset, and the implications of it, your firewall will cause more problems than it helps.  Even when you know how to configure them properly, a firewall is a last-resort defense.  It's job is to try and stop people from exploiting anything that has been overlooked inside it.   Not to be instant security.

Unless you know how to use it, why, and when, a firewall will only give you more problems than it will save you from.

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
Zonealrm and Aces High
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 03:04:22 AM »
Gotta put in a little on two points.. first, Inno.. I have to strongly disagree.  I have run both Norton and ZA.. Norton was intercepting several attempted SubSeven breaches, but in the last few versions of AH, my ping suffered greatly.  ZA solved the problem, and gives me a more detailed idea of intrusion attempts, which are suprisingly frequent (port scans, etc.), and it requires little configuration to work right.  "Feel good" or not, I feel better even semi protected rather than not protected at all, and having no freakin clue when someone is trying to access my system.  

As far as setting up ZA, I had to go to Program Control, click the Programs tab, Add Aces High, enable the appropriate permissions, then right click on it and check the "Changes Often" option, as well as the verify by pathname only option.  Works like a charm.

:)